Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader > Sony Reader Dev Corner

Notices

Old 12-15-2012, 01:30 PM   #1
entodoays
Zealot
entodoays will become famous soon enoughentodoays will become famous soon enoughentodoays will become famous soon enoughentodoays will become famous soon enoughentodoays will become famous soon enoughentodoays will become famous soon enoughentodoays will become famous soon enough

Device: Sony Reader PRS-T1
PRS-T1 becomes unresponsive

A couple of months ago my rooted PRS-T1 started becoming unresponsive at times. This would happen while browsing, while changing dictionary, while highlighting text or while opening a large ebook.

Not knowing what the problem was I uninstalled most of my applications but the problem remained. So I installed the restore-set to remove rooting. The problem persisted.
At this point I tried the uboot's sdrecovery package but this gave me problems (asked for settings at each reboot. So I installed first boroda's sdrecovery package followed by restore-set but the problem didn't go.
I tried removing the adb enable package (rupor's) and reinstalling it. None worked.
I tried a factory reset. No go.
Please help.
entodoays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 03:39 PM   #2
nausica
Connoisseur
nausica has a thesaurus and is not afraid to use it!nausica has a thesaurus and is not afraid to use it!nausica has a thesaurus and is not afraid to use it!nausica has a thesaurus and is not afraid to use it!nausica has a thesaurus and is not afraid to use it!nausica has a thesaurus and is not afraid to use it!nausica has a thesaurus and is not afraid to use it!nausica has a thesaurus and is not afraid to use it!nausica has a thesaurus and is not afraid to use it!nausica has a thesaurus and is not afraid to use it!nausica has a thesaurus and is not afraid to use it!

Device: Energy Reader Pro
Hi entodoays,
I think, first, you had to disable adb, and then uninstall rupor root.
nausica is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-15-2012, 06:12 PM   #3
entodoays
Zealot
entodoays will become famous soon enoughentodoays will become famous soon enoughentodoays will become famous soon enoughentodoays will become famous soon enoughentodoays will become famous soon enoughentodoays will become famous soon enoughentodoays will become famous soon enough

I'll try that.

I managed to get logs.

They are full of the following:

Quote:
--------- beginning of /dev/log/system
W/PackageManager( 2105): Unknown permission com.google.android.gm.permission.WRITE_GMAIL in package com.android.settings
W/PackageManager( 2105): Unknown permission com.google.android.gm.permission.READ_GMAIL in package com.android.settings
com.sony.drbd.ebook.NetworkManagerSettings
W/PackageManager( 2105): Unknown permission android.permission.NFC in package com.sony.drbd.ebook.NetworkManagerSettings
W/PackageManager( 2105): Unknown permission com.android.launcher.permission.READ_SETTINGS in package com.sony.drbd.ebook.NetworkManagerSettings
W/PackageManager( 2105): Unknown permission com.android.launcher.permission.WRITE_SETTINGS in package com.sony.drbd.ebook.NetworkManagerSettings
W/PackageManager( 2105): Unknown permission
What does this mean?
Old 12-15-2012, 07:00 PM   #4
uboot
Evangelist
uboot seems famous, but is in fact legendary.uboot seems famous, but is in fact legendary.uboot seems famous, but is in fact legendary.uboot seems famous, but is in fact legendary.uboot seems famous, but is in fact legendary.uboot seems famous, but is in fact legendary.uboot seems famous, but is in fact legendary.uboot seems famous, but is in fact legendary.uboot seems famous, but is in fact legendary.uboot seems famous, but is in fact legendary.uboot seems famous, but is in fact legendary.

Device: Kobo Mini, Tolino Epos 2
https://wiki.mobileread.com/w/index.p...mission_errors
uboot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 02:33 AM   #5
entodoays
Zealot

I'll try that again. The last time I tried to connect adb the reader would reboot automatically after connecting the usb cable. Is there a way to fix permissions from terminal?
Advert
Old 12-16-2012, 11:36 AM   #6
rupor
meat popsicle
rupor rocks like Gibraltar!rupor rocks like Gibraltar!rupor rocks like Gibraltar!rupor rocks like Gibraltar!rupor rocks like Gibraltar!rupor rocks like Gibraltar!rupor rocks like Gibraltar!rupor rocks like Gibraltar!rupor rocks like Gibraltar!rupor rocks like Gibraltar!rupor rocks like Gibraltar!

Device: Kindles, Pixels, iPads
entodoays

As far as I could see messages you show are always in the log (Usually twice after you boot device) - it is totally normal! You would not be able to fix them - and more than likely they have nothing to do with your problem...
rupor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 01:35 PM   #7
entodoays
Zealot

Thanks rupor for your reply. Do you have a clue how to solve the problem? I'm able to connect remotely through a serial connection to my device now.
Not sure how to connect adb though.
What is your suggestion? Should I try to fix-permissions?
Old 12-16-2012, 02:08 PM   #8
rupor
meat popsicle
rupor rocks like Gibraltar!rupor rocks like Gibraltar!rupor rocks like Gibraltar!rupor rocks like Gibraltar!rupor rocks like Gibraltar!rupor rocks like Gibraltar!rupor rocks like Gibraltar!rupor rocks like Gibraltar!rupor rocks like Gibraltar!rupor rocks like Gibraltar!rupor rocks like Gibraltar!

I already wrote in other topic - you should return your device in a pristine original state and than start over, carefully remembering and/or documenting steps you have taken. I do not understand the problem you are having and cannot comment on how to resolve it.
Old 12-16-2012, 02:51 PM   #9
entodoays
Zealot

I tried many times:

Hard reset followed by sdrecovery, restore-set.

This is the closest I can think of going back to zero since I never managed to do a full backup.

What surprises me in the logs is the reference to gmail when I do not have gmail installed.
Old 12-16-2012, 04:50 PM   #10
entodoays
Zealot

Here's the latest log file in full as an attachment.
Attached Files
File Type: txt log1.txt (27.6 KB, 1250 views)
Old 12-17-2012, 08:09 AM   #11
entodoays
Zealot

So to go back to the pristine state:
  1. Restore factory settings
  2. Flash disable-all package
  3. Flash Boroda's sd-recovery.
  4. Flash restore-set 1.0.04 (Boroda's)
  5. Maybe do a factory restore again

Is this right, or is there another procedure?
Old 12-17-2012, 09:31 AM   #12
rupor
meat popsicle

I've never seen anything like this:

[QUOTE]
W/DevicePolicyManagerService( 2105): Failed loading admin com.webroot.security/com.webroot.security.WrDeviceAdminReceiver
W/DevicePolicyManagerService( 2105): java.lang.IllegalArgumentException: Unknown admin: ComponentInfo{com.webroot.security/com.webroot.security.WrDeviceAdminReceiver}
W/DevicePolicyManagerService( 2105): at com.android.server.DevicePolicyManagerService.find Admin(DevicePolicyManagerService.java:305)
W/DevicePolicyManagerService( 2105): at com.android.server.DevicePolicyManagerService.load SettingsLocked(DevicePolicyManagerService.java:418 )
W/DevicePolicyManagerService( 2105): at com.android.server.DevicePolicyManagerService.syst emReady(DevicePolicyManagerService.java:526)
W/DevicePolicyManagerService( 2105): at com.android.server.ServerThread.run(SystemServer.j ava:482)
W/DevicePolicyManagerService( 2105): Unknown tag: policies
[QUOTE]

As for procedure:

1. Flash proper disable-all package
2. Flash Boroda's sd-recovery - proper version (isn't recovery set)?
3. Do factory reset

This should help...
Old 12-17-2012, 10:25 AM   #13
entodoays
Zealot

Thanks for your message.

About proper packages:
for the disable-all package it is clear which package is the one to use. It's the rupor-disable-all.7z for 1.0.04 firmware.
Regarding the sdcard rescue package the wiki recommends the one by uboot for 1.0.04.
Boroda doesn't seem to have a rescue package for 1.0.04 firmware. In the past what worked was to use this package followed by the restore set.
Furthermore Uboot has two different variants of rescue packages, available on this thread. Package 2 reformats the system partition as well. I tried both in the past. Package 2 seems to oblige me to enter settings from scratch at every reboot. Package 1 doesn't do that but the sdcard light kept flashing for 4 hours or so!
Now that firmware 1.0.05 is out I'm wondering if it might solve my issue to:
1. Flash the disable-all package
2. Flash the sd-rescue package from Boroda
3. Flash the restore set 1.0.04 from Boroda
4. Factory reset
5. Flash the new stock Sony firmware.

What do you think?

Last edited by entodoays; 12-17-2012 at 10:28 AM. Reason: Clarified.
Old 12-17-2012, 11:05 AM   #14
rupor
meat popsicle

I could only recommend boroda restore set. boroda's sd-rescue you are referring to IS NOT NESESSARY! What uboot packages do - I have no idea...

So my original plan stays

That what I did before moving to 1.0.05 - and it worked perfectly

Last edited by rupor; 12-17-2012 at 11:11 AM.
Old 12-17-2012, 12:02 PM   #15
entodoays
Zealot

Sorry for my ignorance.

I just realised there are two restore sets for 1.0.04 software version from Boroda. One is named restore-set-1.0.04.12210.zip and the other restore-set-sd-1.0.04.12210.7z.

In the past I used the first package. You, which package would you recommend?

Tags
amr, hanging, prst1, sony