Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 09-01-2010, 05:56 PM   #1
Arfer
Arfer began at the beginning.

Device: sony reader
Convert .TXT to .EPUB

Not being very computer literate, how do I convert a plain .TXT to a readable .EPUB file?

I have a .TXT file that looks OK in MS Word.

The Calibre helpfile is not clear (to me).
Arfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 10:15 PM   #2
WJMuldowney
Connoisseur
WJMuldowney began at the beginning.

Device: Nook
If you have Calibre set up for your ereader, all you have to do is highlight the txt file you want to convert and click the 'convert file' icon in calibre. It will bring up a screen for conversion. Just make sure that the output file in the upper right hand corner is epub (change it if it's not) and it should convert the file.
WJMuldowney is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-02-2010, 06:41 AM   #3
vonCZ
Connoisseur
vonCZ has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.vonCZ has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.vonCZ has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: iPad, iPhone 4
Suggestion: in the "Convert" dialogue window, click on the "TXT Input" Icon and then check the "Treat each line as a paragraph" box. Otherwise, your .txt file might convert to .epub as a single paragraph..... not good.
vonCZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 08:37 AM   #4
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by vonCZ View Post
Suggestion: in the "Convert" dialogue window, click on the "TXT Input" Icon and then check the "Treat each line as a paragraph" box. Otherwise, your .txt file might convert to .epub as a single paragraph..... not good.
There are many options and many forms of text, that's why Treat each line as a paragraph isn't the default option.
DoctorOhh is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 08:52 AM   #5
Starson17
Wizard
Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: WinMo: IPAQ; Android: HTC HD2, Archos 7o; Java:Gravity T
Quote:
Originally Posted by vonCZ View Post
This works well if your text document is formatted well for your ereader. By "formatted well" I mean that the only CR/LFs are between paragraphs. This lets you change font sizes or rotate the book 90 degrees and your ereader will be able to break lines where needed for best display.

However, there are lots of text format books that are not formatted well. These usually have a CR/LF break at the end of each 80 character line, i.e., not at the end of sentences or paragraphs. To get these to convert well, you should check "Assume print formatting", not "Treat each line as a paragraph."
Starson17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-02-2010, 09:22 AM   #6
Arfer
Arfer began at the beginning.

Device: sony reader
Thanks for the input.

I know the e-readers are used for a wide variety of documents/books etc. I was flummoxed by the Calibre helpfile, but amazed by the program's versatility.

Just shows what the USER of a product can do compared to the COMMERCIAL PRODUCT.
Arfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 10:41 AM   #7
vonCZ
Connoisseur
vonCZ has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.vonCZ has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.vonCZ has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: iPad, iPhone 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwanthny View Post
There are many options and many forms of text, that's why Treat each line as a paragraph isn't the default option.
yeah, figured as much. I've only converted a couple dozen .txt to .epub, and most of 'em needed this. But I didn't know of this option at the time, so instead I ran a simple sed script

s/$/\
/

on the files to add an additional return between lines (which had the same effect). I just discovered the "line as paragraph" option this morning.
vonCZ is offline   Reply With Quote