Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 10-29-2009, 01:44 AM   #1
toholio
toholio will become famous soon enoughtoholio will become famous soon enoughtoholio will become famous soon enoughtoholio will become famous soon enoughtoholio will become famous soon enoughtoholio will become famous soon enough

Device: Kindle, BeBook.
I gave up waiting.

All I wanted from Australian publishers was some indication that they will be bringing their books to the Kindle. Anything would have been good. A short "We're looking into it" to keep me happy.

Instead we've had some press releases about a terrible idea for in store downloading kiosks that will be available sometime next year.

Not enough guys...

So I've changed my Kindle billing address to Disneyland. Suddenly the books I want are available to me. I suppose I should feel slightly guilty but I don't. The author is getting paid and so is the same publisher as if Amazon had sent me a paper book.

Should I feel guilty? Does anyone have the vaguest hint as to what Australian publishers are doing?
toholio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2009, 03:21 AM   #2
neilmarr
neilmarr
neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony
G'day Toholio. Amazon removed ebooks by all those publishers without a US presence when Kindle was launched. Non-US publishing houses (like my own, which is UK registered) are locked out as far as ebooks are concerned (though our paperbacks are still on sale at all Amazon sites). Amazon says it has 'no plans' to put this ridiculous situation to rights. Cheers. Neil
neilmarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-29-2009, 03:56 AM   #3
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by neilmarr View Post
G'day Toholio. Amazon removed ebooks by all those publishers without a US presence when Kindle was launched. Non-US publishing houses (like my own, which is UK registered) are locked out as far as ebooks are concerned (though our paperbacks are still on sale at all Amazon sites). Amazon says it has 'no plans' to put this ridiculous situation to rights. Cheers. Neil
I don't believe your information is correct, Neil. Amazon did not (AFAIK) "remove" books from non-US publishers; they just stopped accepting new publishers via the Mobi "eBookBase" system. Publishers who had signed up with them beforehand (ie up until September 2009) were not affected, and can still publish both existing and new books in the Kindle eBook store.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2009, 04:44 AM   #4
sianon
Addict
sianon will become famous soon enoughsianon will become famous soon enoughsianon will become famous soon enoughsianon will become famous soon enoughsianon will become famous soon enoughsianon will become famous soon enough

Device: Sony 500, Bebook, Kindle, Eco reader Drs and soon the Archos 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by toholio View Post
All I wanted from Australian publishers was some indication that they will be bringing their books to the Kindle. Anything would have been good. A short "We're looking into it" to keep me happy.

Instead we've had some press releases about a terrible idea for in store downloading kiosks that will be available sometime next year.

Not enough guys...

So I've changed my Kindle billing address to Disneyland. Suddenly the books I want are available to me. I suppose I should feel slightly guilty but I don't. The author is getting paid and so is the same publisher as if Amazon had sent me a paper book.

Should I feel guilty? Does anyone have the vaguest hint as to what Australian publishers are doing?
No idea what the publishers are doing here toholio, but it is not good enough. I have written to a couple of Australian publishers and got a response indicating that they have no intention of releasing e-book versions of their books. I find this to be really a sad state of affairs as it means that I will not be reading much work produced by local writers. Ah well there is plenty of other material for me to read. On the other hand, one of the things I have noticed about the Amazon store as I wait for my Kindle to land. I have bought all of Barbara Erskine's books through the Australian store front, but when I change to a US address, they are not available. This may mean we needed to juggle back and forth a little depending on what we want.
sianon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2009, 05:50 AM   #5
neilmarr
neilmarr
neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony
At the time of the Kindle launch, Harry, Amazon offered an ebook option to all of around 100 titles we had up and running. Our ebooks (and those of countless other publishers, large and small) were withdrawn without warning, explanation or option to coincide with the arrival of Kindle.

Although our paperbacks are still on sale at Amazon, our digital versions are not, and Amazon still excludes ebooks from houses without a US base.

The Mobi system was a loophole a few publishers and self-publishing authors managed to slip through and was -- as you so rightly say -- plugged by Amazon in September. We, like others, were unaware of the 'secret' back door (thanks for your tip, by the way) and missed the boat.

Letters to Amazon asking how and when houses with no US presence can get their titles into the Kindle store are met with the 'there are no plans' response from the company.

Cheers. Neil

PS: A similar situation arose some time ago when Amazon -- spotting the financial potential of large-scale PoD printing -- bought and developed Booksurge. It then told all clients that any PoD titles would be withdrawn unless the publishers turned to Booksurge for printing. While the battle was on, the major players pulled out. Amazon then turned a blind eye to small fry like my own house. Again, the comany remained tight-lipped about the whole thing. N
neilmarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-29-2009, 04:53 PM   #6
toholio
toholio will become famous soon enoughtoholio will become famous soon enoughtoholio will become famous soon enoughtoholio will become famous soon enoughtoholio will become famous soon enoughtoholio will become famous soon enough

neilmarr, thanks for that info.

It's still an irritation that publishers are being so uncommunicative about this. If you send a letter about eBooks to Australian publishers they tend to respond with "we are not considering them at this time" which in combination with this ridiculous idea http://www.theage.com.au/technology/...1020-h5ps.html makes it look like they just don't get it.

A little more effort by publishers to let customers know what's happening might have been enough to get me to hold off on changing my address. Instead I'll buy from foreign publishers.
Old 10-29-2009, 07:12 PM   #7
K-Thom
The one and only
K-Thom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K-Thom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K-Thom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K-Thom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K-Thom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K-Thom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K-Thom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K-Thom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K-Thom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K-Thom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K-Thom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: yup!
Quote:
Letters to Amazon asking how and when houses with no US presence can get their titles into the Kindle store are met with the 'there are no plans' response from the company.
Neil, this is very interesting since I received THAT reply from Amazon.com about two weeks ago:

Quote:
There are additional steps that must be taken to get a MobiPocket title to flow through to the Kindle store. And unfortunately, we are not accepting new publishers for this method at this time.

We are in the process of expanding our Digital Text Platform to accept international publishers. You can learn more about DTP by visiting http://dtp.amazon.com. However, we are not yet accepting publishers through DTP without a U.S. address and bank account.

We will contact you once we have completed our transition.
So, either the left hand at Amazon doesn't know what the right one is doing, or one of us received an incorrect reply. I think we do agree that we both would be more than glad if the reply given to you would prove to be the wrong one ...
K-Thom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2009, 07:15 PM   #8
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
Quote:

You nearly made me eject Diet Coke from my nose! Karma to you.
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2009, 07:54 PM   #9
K-Thom
The one and only
K-Thom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K-Thom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K-Thom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K-Thom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K-Thom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K-Thom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K-Thom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K-Thom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K-Thom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K-Thom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K-Thom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: yup!
In addition to the mail I got from Amazon, here's a post from the Amazon DTP admin, October 29th, on the DTP board:

Quote:
Dear Publisher,

We are working towards enabling non US publishers to setup accounts on DTP. At present, only publishers with US billing address and bank account are able to setup account on Amazon DTP.

Thank you,
Amazon.com.
Doesn't look that bad.
K-Thom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2009, 09:18 PM   #10
kindlekitten
Professional Adventuress
kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Olympic Peninsula on the OTHER Washington! (the big green clean one on the west coast!)
Device: Kindle, the original! Times Two! and gifting an International Kindle
Quote:

Not enough guys...

karma!
kindlekitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2009, 09:44 PM   #11
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
Quote:

Seriously? Disneyland? Awesome! Oh......if they don't know, how should we?
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2009, 10:08 PM   #12
toholio

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertgrandma View Post
Seriously? Disneyland?

Yup, Disneyland. I figure it's a loophole that will get closed eventually regardless of what address I use.

I doubt Amazon are racing to fix this. They get paid if people are buying and this is just about the only way I'll be buying. At least while since there is hardly anything in the Australian store.
Old 10-29-2009, 11:28 PM   #13
Pushka
Wizard
Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle, Ipad, Iphone, Nexus and PPW
Hmm, it is obviously the Publishers decision not the author. Hubby is a published author and when signing the contract he was asked if he objected to the book being e-published. He didnt object but it isnt a kindle yet either!

Last edited by Pushka; 10-29-2009 at 11:30 PM.
Pushka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2009, 11:38 PM   #14
toholio

Not only is the situation in Australia not getting better, it's actually getting worse!

http://www.gizmodo.com.au/2009/10/wh...-kindle-store/

Where did the 5,000 books go? Why is there zero communication about this?

I started a thread about books being removed from sale on Amazon's forums but the bottom line is nobody really knows why it's happening or when it will stop.

Zero communication; how's that for being customer focused?
Old 11-01-2009, 07:21 PM   #15
archerwoo
Enthusiast
archerwoo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.archerwoo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.archerwoo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.archerwoo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.archerwoo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.archerwoo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.archerwoo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.archerwoo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.archerwoo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.archerwoo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.archerwoo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3;Ip4
take it easy
archerwoo is offline   Reply With Quote