Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Marvin

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 12-14-2012, 04:50 PM   #226
kguil
Addict
kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Marvin for iOS
Thanks holymadness. I'm glad you like the red. It was a very conscious decision.
Old 12-14-2012, 05:03 PM   #227
Faterson
pokrývač škridiel
Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 3*iPad, SamsungNote & Tabs, 2*OnyxBoox, Huawei 8″, PocketBook
Quote:
Originally Posted by kguil View Post
Using UIWebView gives me immense scope for flexible formatting and other cool tricks but has a few drawbacks such as the ones you mention.
I hope you will keep UIWebView and the immensely cool tricks.

To Wulf: the reason I never noticed the other, "swipe to select text" method of highlighting texts in iBooks and the Kindle app, is because it's rather imprecise, specifically: it's one-dimensional, working only to-the-right, but not to-the-left. (Or vice versa.) If you wish to extend a highlight to the left, too, using the swipe-to-select-text method, this doesn't work.

I find this problematic especially for English texts, where many sentences start with extremely short words such as "I" or "A". It's rather difficult to tap & hold a single letter, such as "I" or "A", in order to start highlighting a passage. I actually find it quicker just to tap on any random (and long, thus easily "tappable") word in a sentence, and then drag the right/left selection markers to wherever needed.

At least on the hardware Kindles, there's such a thing as the cursor, so it's easy to move the cursor quickly and precisely in front of an "I" or "A", press the button, and start highlighting. It's difficult to achieve such precision with the tap-and-hold method in the iOS world where cursors don't work within non-editable texts.

Last edited by Faterson; 12-14-2012 at 05:06 PM.
Advert
Old 12-15-2012, 06:57 PM   #228
kguil
Addict
kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

@snarko - I've corrected Marvin not to arbitrarily indent any paragraphs. Paragraph indentation now follows the book's CSS rules properly.

This will make it in the "holiday" update.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Indent.png
Views:	282
Size:	17.3 KB
ID:	97740  
Old 12-15-2012, 07:04 PM   #229
Philantrop
Addict
Philantrop does all things with Zen-like beautyPhilantrop does all things with Zen-like beautyPhilantrop does all things with Zen-like beautyPhilantrop does all things with Zen-like beautyPhilantrop does all things with Zen-like beautyPhilantrop does all things with Zen-like beautyPhilantrop does all things with Zen-like beautyPhilantrop does all things with Zen-like beautyPhilantrop does all things with Zen-like beautyPhilantrop does all things with Zen-like beautyPhilantrop does all things with Zen-like beauty

Device: Kindles (e-ink)
By all means, Kris, please, please, please stay with UIWebView. Anything *not* using it (apart from whatever iBooks is using) consistently gets into issues with text formatting (which will make Alexander/Faterson *really* unhappy ;-) ) and opens the portal to a dimension of pain for both you and us as your users.

Using the Adobe SDK to support their DRM, btw, would necessitate moving away from UIWebView, too.
Old 12-15-2012, 07:06 PM   #230
kguil
Addict

That's my intention Thanks for the heads up re Adobe's SDK.
Advert
Old 12-15-2012, 11:58 PM   #231
snarko
snarko began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Keyobard
Sounds great, Kris. Thanks!

Is or will there be a good way to donate, for those who "bought" Marvin while it was still free?
Old 12-16-2012, 03:25 AM   #232
kguil
Addict

Snarko, I'm not planning to take on donations. However I have some great ideas for the future that I hope people will be interested in.
Old 12-16-2012, 03:56 AM   #233
Faterson
pokrývač škridiel
Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Sounds mysterious. I also read on your Facebook page you plan to release Marvin for Android later on, which would be great. At least on the phones, the Android market might bring more revenue than iOS (while the reverse is probably true of tablets).
Old 12-16-2012, 04:00 AM   #234
kguil
Addict

Well... it is my intention to make an Android version eventually but it is not going to happen soon. There is still the iPhone version to get out of the way, and that will be a lot of work - since Marvin has a completely custom UI.
Old 12-17-2012, 06:21 PM   #235
kguil
Addict

Would adding Google Drive as a cloud service make anyone happy?
Old 12-17-2012, 06:30 PM   #236
Philantrop
Addict
Philantrop does all things with Zen-like beautyPhilantrop does all things with Zen-like beautyPhilantrop does all things with Zen-like beautyPhilantrop does all things with Zen-like beautyPhilantrop does all things with Zen-like beautyPhilantrop does all things with Zen-like beautyPhilantrop does all things with Zen-like beautyPhilantrop does all things with Zen-like beautyPhilantrop does all things with Zen-like beautyPhilantrop does all things with Zen-like beautyPhilantrop does all things with Zen-like beauty

Device: Kindles (e-ink)
Personally, I'd say a generic WebDAV connector would be more useful since most cloud providers support it.
Old 12-17-2012, 06:37 PM   #237
kguil
Addict

Thanks Philantrop. Have you got some reference I can look up? I can't find references in the provider's documentation how to do this (e.g. Dropbox, Skydrive, Google Drive, etc...)
Old 12-17-2012, 06:45 PM   #238
Faterson
pokrývač škridiel

Quote:
Originally Posted by kguil View Post
Would adding Google Drive as a cloud service make anyone happy?
While you're at it, why not also add SugarSync and Box.net? My personal impression (it may be wrong) is that the 3 most popular cloud services among iOS users are Dropbox, SugarSync and Box.net.
Old 12-17-2012, 07:00 PM   #239
kguil
Addict

I can't seem to find a way to list files of a type (epubs) using the SugarSync and Box. To be fair, I've only been at it for a few hours. Will experiment some more.

I want to avoid writing an entire Sugarsync/Box/Whatever browser with folder navigation and all. The official apps will be much better.
Old 12-17-2012, 07:37 PM   #240
Faterson
pokrývač škridiel

Yes, I would view these cloud plugins as low priority, personally.

I'd rather welcome, for example, that ability to restore highlights/notes/bookmarks from a previously exported XHTML file, as we discussed it via email. If this was possible, I could then safely delete any book from my reading device(s) once I've finished reading it, as long as both the book and the XHTML file with highlights/notes/bookmarks are stored in the cloud, and can be restored on demand at any later point in time, if so desired.
Closed Thread