Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Fire

Notices

Old 11-14-2011, 11:39 PM   #31
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by JD78 View Post
One of my favorite reviews so far in from Chicago Sun Time's Andy Ihnatko. IMO he just "gets" the Fire.

http://www.suntimes.com/8816567-417/...er-device.html
Yeah that is the one I liked as well.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 12:57 AM   #32
LoganK
Groupie
LoganK can name that song in three notesLoganK can name that song in three notesLoganK can name that song in three notesLoganK can name that song in three notesLoganK can name that song in three notesLoganK can name that song in three notesLoganK can name that song in three notesLoganK can name that song in three notesLoganK can name that song in three notesLoganK can name that song in three notesLoganK can name that song in three notes

Device: PRS-505,nook,Nook Color,Android
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blossom View Post
From a B&N employee maybe?
Almost certainly not. People just get really attached to their purchasing decisions. I also don't believe the five-star reviews are by Amazon employees.

Quote:
Amazon reviews have gone down hill this past year. It full of people who don't even know what they talking about. They haven't even tried the product. Amazon needs to have stricter guidelines.
Well, there has been a steady trend to rating down products where the packaging of the product is not desirable. Games that have super-restrictive DRM, eBooks that have lots of typos, products by companies that provide terrible customer service. I don't disagree with them, but I understand people that trust the reviews less.

Amazon has introduced some product breakdown categories as well as the Amazon Verified Purchase, but I'm not sure if there is an easy way to filter yet.
LoganK is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-15-2011, 08:30 AM   #33
SamuraiXSendai
Addict
SamuraiXSendai can extract oil from cheeseSamuraiXSendai can extract oil from cheeseSamuraiXSendai can extract oil from cheeseSamuraiXSendai can extract oil from cheeseSamuraiXSendai can extract oil from cheeseSamuraiXSendai can extract oil from cheeseSamuraiXSendai can extract oil from cheeseSamuraiXSendai can extract oil from cheeseSamuraiXSendai can extract oil from cheese

Device: Kindle 1. Kindle 2. IPAD. KDXG. Kindle 3.Fire
There reviewers can be divided into some broad groupings. The spec freaks who want the fastest processor, the highest resolution, the fastest browser, etc and don't consider cost. The fanboys who view it from Apple colored glasses (aka Kim Komando) - The first two groups will mostly dismiss the Fire if not outright hate it. Others will pretty much weigh it on it's own merits like Ihnatko and Josh Topolsky. One must review the reviewers to determine if their biases match one's own (you can see I am biased towards the last two).
SamuraiXSendai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 08:44 AM   #34
friktion
Zealot
friktion can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.friktion can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.friktion can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.friktion can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.friktion can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.friktion can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.friktion can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.friktion can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.friktion can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.friktion can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.friktion can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.

Device: Sony 700, Kindle 3Wi-Fi, Skytex Primer 7", Kindle Fire
Quote:
One reviewer got Mantano to work so I'm happy just having it. I can use Dropbox through the browser if the app doesn't work. My apps are Mantano & ColorDict, Dropbox, ES File Explorer (This one prob wont work) and Opera. I don't need any others to be happy with the Fire.
? Do you mean you can upload Mantano to Dropbox and then directly from Dropbox, install it into your Fire? Please, please, please say YES!

This would solve my problem of not being able to D/L apps from the Amazon AppStore...
friktion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 09:39 AM   #35
emilikins
Short One in the Stacks
emilikins can program the VCR without an owner's manual.emilikins can program the VCR without an owner's manual.emilikins can program the VCR without an owner's manual.emilikins can program the VCR without an owner's manual.emilikins can program the VCR without an owner's manual.emilikins can program the VCR without an owner's manual.emilikins can program the VCR without an owner's manual.emilikins can program the VCR without an owner's manual.emilikins can program the VCR without an owner's manual.emilikins can program the VCR without an owner's manual.emilikins can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: HTC Flyer; Kobo WiFi
I think you can report reviews on Amazon, or at least thumb up or down on the helpfulness. When looking at electronic devices, I tend to look for the longer reviews with a pro/con list, workarounds, little activity tests, etc. Straight up YAYS! I LUVS IT! reviews and THIS SUX!! reviews I'd love to just delete, because they're not helpful. Give me details, comparisons, etc. Preferably with decent grammar and spelling, too ;-)

There's a lag between when you write a review and when it gets posted, but I don't think Amazon has people who read every single review. There are probably trigger words and phrases that then puts the review under scrutiny, like swearing and what not (though I've seen a few curses in reviews). Plus, even if they did have an army of review reviewers looking over every post, you're going to have the Lazy Guy who just sends them through. But, yes, Amazon has every right to take down obviously fraudulent or useless reviews.

From the review guidelines:
Quote:
What's not allowed
Amazon is pleased to provide this forum for you to share your opinions on products. While we appreciate your time and comments, we reserve the right to remove reviews that include any of the following:

Objectionable material:

Obscene or distasteful content
Profanity or spiteful remarks

Promotional content:

Advertisements, promotional material or repeated posts that make the same point excessively
Sentiments by or on behalf of a person or company with a financial interest in the product or a directly competing product (including reviews by authors, artists, publishers, manufacturers, or third-party merchants selling the product)
Reviews written for any form of compensation other than a free copy of the product
Solicitations for helpful votes

Inappropriate content:

Crucial plot elements (unless you offer a clear "spoiler alert")
Other people's material
Phone numbers, postal mailing addresses, and URLs external to Amazon.com
Details about availability, price, or alternate ordering/shipping
Videos with watermarks
Comments on other reviews visible on the page (because page visibility is subject to change without notice)

Off-topic information:

Feedback on the seller, your shipment experience or the packaging (you can do that at www.amazon.com/feedback and www.amazon.com/packaging)
Feedback about typos or inaccuracies in our catalog or product description (instead, use the feedback form at the bottom of the product page).

(snipped product safety concerns)

Customer reviews should be relevant to the product in question. If you have questions about the product or opinions that do not fit the review format, please feel free to use the Customer Discussions feature on the product page. Learn more about Customer Discussions.

If you have a question or you'd like to tell us about a specific problem with Customer Reviews, please contact us.
emilikins is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-15-2011, 10:15 AM   #36
emilikins
Short One in the Stacks
emilikins can program the VCR without an owner's manual.emilikins can program the VCR without an owner's manual.emilikins can program the VCR without an owner's manual.emilikins can program the VCR without an owner's manual.emilikins can program the VCR without an owner's manual.emilikins can program the VCR without an owner's manual.emilikins can program the VCR without an owner's manual.emilikins can program the VCR without an owner's manual.emilikins can program the VCR without an owner's manual.emilikins can program the VCR without an owner's manual.emilikins can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: HTC Flyer; Kobo WiFi
Teleread says it will not do a rush review on the Fire, because a few hours is not sufficient to get a thorough review of such a device. The writer brings up an excellent point about current reviews slamming the browser performance:

Quote:
he Fire browser goes through Amazon’s servers. Well, as hundreds of thousands, or more, users receive their Fires one of the first things they will do is check out the browser and pound Amazon’s servers. We are going to see a number of reviews saying that the browser is slow simply because the servers are overloaded. To review the browser properly one needs to use it at a time when the server traffic is at a normal level, not at a just-released-peak.
I think if reviewers said it's an unboxing/first impression review, that would be one thing, and then follow-up with a longer road test review, like Edmunds.com does with a lot of vehicles (initial review, followed by the long road test review months or a year later, though a true road test of a car would be years down the road ...)
emilikins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 01:55 PM   #37
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by ucfgrad93 View Post
I can't believe how many reviews give the Fire a 1 when the writer doesn't even own one. In my opinion, Amazon should delete reviews like this one...
Amazon, and all similar sites, should limit reviews to those who have purchased one through their website. And no reviews should be allowed until after the item ships.
Old 11-15-2011, 02:03 PM   #38
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by friktion View Post
? Do you mean you can upload Mantano to Dropbox and then directly from Dropbox, install it into your Fire? Please, please, please say YES!

This would solve my problem of not being able to D/L apps from the Amazon AppStore...
Well If the Dropbox app works. I think it will because ES File Explorer works. Just load the apk file into your dropbox and download it that way on the fire. I did this on my other tablet I sent back and it worked fine.
Old 11-15-2011, 05:13 PM   #39
monkeyluis
Banned
monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad "3", Kindle Touch, Kindle Fire, iPhone 4S
At first I was worried about some of these reviews. But when I received my fire today those worries were shattered. This is an amazing device. I'm so glad I got it. I posted my 1st impressions in the 1st impressions threads. I think the update that happened today helped with some of the reports about sluggishness, etc. Because to me it's pretty snappy, not as quick and smooth as my iPad, but it's great. I have no complaints. I hope to see some more reviews that address the way it currently is set up. Should be glowing reviews on it soon.
monkeyluis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 05:22 PM   #40
SCION
Séduisant
SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note Air2+; Kobo Libra2; Kindle Scribe, Oasis3; iPad Mini6
Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeyluis View Post
At first I was worried about some of these reviews. But when I received my fire today those worries were shattered. This is an amazing device. I'm so glad I got it. I posted my 1st impressions in the 1st impressions threads. I think the update that happened today helped with some of the reports about sluggishness, etc. Because to me it's pretty snappy, not as quick and smooth as my iPad, but it's great. I have no complaints. I hope to see some more reviews that address the way it currently is set up. Should be glowing reviews on it soon.
That's good to know because it appeared to be a dud according to some. I found that hard to believe, but anything's possible.
SCION is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 06:01 PM   #41
SamuraiXSendai
Addict
SamuraiXSendai can extract oil from cheeseSamuraiXSendai can extract oil from cheeseSamuraiXSendai can extract oil from cheeseSamuraiXSendai can extract oil from cheeseSamuraiXSendai can extract oil from cheeseSamuraiXSendai can extract oil from cheeseSamuraiXSendai can extract oil from cheeseSamuraiXSendai can extract oil from cheeseSamuraiXSendai can extract oil from cheese

Device: Kindle 1. Kindle 2. IPAD. KDXG. Kindle 3.Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCION View Post
That's good to know because it appeared to be a dud according to some. I found that hard to believe, but anything's possible.
That's because they expect it to outperform an Ipad. It's like comparing a Lexus and a Corolla.
SamuraiXSendai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 06:02 PM   #42
SCION
Séduisant
SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamuraiXSendai View Post
That's because they expect it to outperform an Ipad. It's like comparing a Lexus and a Corolla.
Yeah, that was my take away as well.
Old 11-15-2011, 09:20 PM   #43
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
Marking stupid reviews as 'not helpful' will at least push them down the rankings when reviews are sorted by 'most helpful'.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 10:37 PM   #44
SCION
Séduisant

Here's our girl Lisa from MobileTechReview!!!

Old 11-15-2011, 11:05 PM   #45
Blossom
Treasure Seeker

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCION View Post
Here's our girl Lisa from MobileTechReview!!!
Thanks! She had one thing wrong you can sideload the Nook app on it. A few have already done it. No rooting needed.

I was a bit surprise the sideloading wasn't mention more but all in all good review as always.