Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 02-07-2010, 06:14 PM   #121
TGS
Country Member
TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Liseuse: Irex DR800. PRS 505 in the house, and the missus has an iPad.
A Joke...or maybe not

Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
I know that. But my point is... how can the DR800S which is basically the same MINUS 1 feature be $600US when the DR800SG is supposed to be $400?

BOb
I went to a butcher's shop the other day and asked "How much are your pork chops?"
"£4.50 per pound" he replied.
"God, that's expensive" I said "they are only £3.00 at the butcher's down the road".
"Then you should go and buy them at the butcher's shop down the road" said the helpful butcher.
"Problem is, they don't have any" I complained.
"Ah, well, when we don't have any they are only £2.50 per pound!"
TGS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2010, 05:15 PM   #122
glynton
glynton began at the beginning.

Device: DR800S
uhh... What's going on with the price?

Ok, I'm in the UK and I've been looking for ages for the ideal eReader... Basically a slightly larger Sony Reader touch, but with a Wacom style input (instead of the resistive touch screen of the Sony). I also want good document support, especially PDFs, and a good range of eBook support.

The DR800SG was announce at CES and I thought this looked great and was priced perfectly at $399, but it was not going to be available in the UK.

Then the DR800S was released for Europe without the 3G, which is fine for me I'm not interested in having 3G in the reader. However, they're selling it for £449!!! WHAT?!?

So $399 USD is £256. I understand that I would need to add 17.5% VAT, plus about £20 import tax and perhaps the same in shipping. That comes to a just-bearable £345. Why is there suddenly an extra £100 on top of this? I could get a new iPhone 3GS for this much?!?!?

Ridiculous. I will not be buying this at this price, such a shame.
glynton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2010, 05:40 PM   #123
zerospinboson
"Assume a can opener..."
zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iLiad v2, DR1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by glynton View Post
Ok, I'm in the UK and I've been looking for ages for the ideal eReader... Basically a slightly larger Sony Reader touch, but with a Wacom style input (instead of the resistive touch screen of the Sony). I also want good document support, especially PDFs, and a good range of eBook support.

The DR800SG was announce at CES and I thought this looked great and was priced perfectly at $399, but it was not going to be available in the UK.

Then the DR800S was released for Europe without the 3G, which is fine for me I'm not interested in having 3G in the reader. However, they're selling it for £449!!! WHAT?!?

So $399 USD is £256. I understand that I would need to add 17.5% VAT, plus about £20 import tax and perhaps the same in shipping. That comes to a just-bearable £345. Why is there suddenly an extra £100 on top of this? I could get a new iPhone 3GS for this much?!?!?

Ridiculous. I will not be buying this at this price, such a shame.
*Part* of it (though I obviously don't know what part) can be explained by the fact that in the EU you have a warranty period of 2y, as opposed to something like 3 months in the US (ignoring insurance via your CC).
Ignoring that, they seem to mostly be interested in sucking people dry, yes.
zerospinboson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2010, 05:59 PM   #124
glynton
glynton began at the beginning.

Device: DR800S
Is it possible to buy the DR800SG from BestBuy and import to the UK? What would work/wouldn't work? I presume the only thing that wouldn't work would be the B&N store. Would I still be able to load ebooks bought from Waterstones (in the UK)?

Thanks
glynton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2010, 09:37 PM   #125
Mr. Goodbar
Wizard
Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.

Device: iPad Mini 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by glynton View Post
Is it possible to buy the DR800SG from BestBuy and import to the UK? What would work/wouldn't work? I presume the only thing that wouldn't work would be the B&N store. Would I still be able to load ebooks bought from Waterstones (in the UK)?

Thanks
You can easily side load content and it supports drm'd pdf's, adobe drm'd epup, B&N drm'd epub and ereader format files. Non drm'd pdf and epub are also supported. If you can get one of those formats it will work.

Best Buy will not ship this to the U.K. and they do not ship through known freight forwarders.
Mr. Goodbar is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dr800, dr800s, dr880sg, epub, ereader, irex