Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Onyx Boox

Notices

Old 05-22-2012, 09:44 AM   #16
FDD
Connoisseur
FDD can extract oil from cheeseFDD can extract oil from cheeseFDD can extract oil from cheeseFDD can extract oil from cheeseFDD can extract oil from cheeseFDD can extract oil from cheeseFDD can extract oil from cheeseFDD can extract oil from cheeseFDD can extract oil from cheese

Device: Onyx Boox M92
Quote:
Originally Posted by repods View Post
ok so where is the wi-fi module located ?
You can see the Atheros chip on the main board, near the the headphone plug, and the antenna near it, marked as ANT1, at a 45° angle.

EDIT: Also (answering to older posts) the two smd components near the joystick are LEDs, not dip switches.
The grayish background also troubled me, but I think it's more software related: go to the main screen and move around the "cursor", now you can see that the screen is whiter where the cursor was and got erased. I think the T1 does a better job when clearing the screen because of its software, not hardware.

Last edited by FDD; 05-22-2012 at 10:02 AM.
FDD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 06:12 PM   #17
repods
Addict
repods is on a distinguished road

Device: irex DR-800S, M92S
Quote:
Originally Posted by FDD View Post
The grayish background also troubled me, but I think it's more software related: go to the main screen and move around the "cursor", now you can see that the screen is whiter where the cursor was and got erased. I think the T1 does a better job when clearing the screen because of its software, not hardware.
about this question I just did a try putting side by side the m92s and the irex dr800s with the same pdf loaded..
for sure the background of the dr800s is whiter than the m92s one, but the black of the m92s is way more black than the dr800s one.
So the screen is darker but has more contrast.
repods is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-12-2012, 01:50 PM   #18
repods
Addict
repods is on a distinguished road

Device: irex DR-800S, M92S
Quote:
Originally Posted by Booxtor View Post
Some users asked me to show how to disassemble the M92.

Here are the pictures of the process:

[Images violate Posting Guideline for size - MODERATOR]
so I disassembled again my M92S just to pin point the differences with your device and some truths have to be told

in the m92s, as obvious, the orange wacom sheet and the controller board is not present, not even the wifi chip and the "ant1" antenna is present..
as I just told this is obvious, but the lack of the wacom sheet that in the original project was for sure considered make some space between the e-ink screen and the plastic case..
so that if you just press a bit on the screen you have about 4mm of free space between eink screen and plastic case..

the screen.. judging by your photos the m92 screen seems quite whiter than the m92s one.. maybe just a subjective impression but I would not be surprised if they think to mount the worst screens in the m92s models..
that 1.11 number ...

the firmware: differently by the m92 there is not an updated firmware for m92s as far I know, being a product specifically conceived for russian market..
I tried the latest one for m92.. it works but slows down the device and has a lot of icons and gadgets (for the wacom pen etc..) that point to nothing in the m92s

and at least the electronic components ..
while the cpu chip and the internal storage chip are the same..
the memory chip is different, it is not an elpida module but an Hynix Mobile DDR H5MS2G22AFR module..
I would be curious to know if this module is slower or of with less capacity than the m92 elpida one.

in the end I'm not very happy of my purchase..
most likely thinking that I had no need of the scribble lead me to lose some other things.

Last edited by Dr. Drib; 09-13-2015 at 12:44 PM.
repods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 08:51 PM   #19
aghribi
aghribi began at the beginning.

Device: onyx boox m92, jetbook color, pocketbook pro 912
A question for you guys:

It will soon be possible to buy standard 9.7" color e-ink screens. What do you think about replacing the BooxM92 screen with a color one and how easy it could be?

http://www.nexternal.com/eink/standa...amples-c4.aspx
aghribi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 09:46 PM   #20
patmo141
patmo141 began at the beginning.

Device: onyx boox m92
I imagine the input for screen/output from hardware is going to be totally different unless the screen uses some kind of standard interface...

whoops, made some typos and looked up the eink triton display for reference.

E-Ink pearl needs...
number of pixles x 4 bits (16 shades) worth of information to display an image

E-Ink Triton needs...
number of pixels x 12bits (4096 colors) + 4bits (16 shades) worth of information to display an image

so, more information, may mean more pins/solder connections required for the device to communicate information to the screen. That being said, I have no idea what the components of the m92 are like and this is just a wild guess.

Last edited by patmo141; 07-18-2012 at 10:04 PM.
patmo141 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-24-2012, 08:05 AM   #21
sfinktah
sfinktah began at the beginning.

Device: Icarus eXceL
Is this a private party, or can anyone join in?

Long story short, the Kindle DXG and M92 screens really are the same... just be careful you don't put them back together wrong.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0663.jpg
Views:	1142
Size:	854.2 KB
ID:	91233   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0667.jpg
Views:	1056
Size:	787.1 KB
ID:	91234  
sfinktah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 08:42 AM   #22
sfinktah
sfinktah began at the beginning.

Device: Icarus eXceL
[edited]

Last edited by sfinktah; 08-24-2012 at 09:11 AM. Reason: I want a new Boox
sfinktah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 05:14 PM   #23
guidol
Enthusiast
guidol began at the beginning.

Device: Onyx Boox M92 White
Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Booxtor View Post
Some users asked me to show how to disassemble the M92.
One "bad" thing...the joystick is soldered to the mainboard.
I would like to see it connected through a connector like the display...but I do enjoy my first steps on my new M92 white
This would make the joystick easy swapable (when it went bad) like a bad battery
Hardware-Feature-Request for the future?
guidol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 04:15 PM   #24
Booxtor
Booxtor
Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: a lot of..
Quote:
Originally Posted by guidol View Post
One "bad" thing...the joystick is soldered to the mainboard.
I would like to see it connected through a connector like the display...but I do enjoy my first steps on my new M92 white
This would make the joystick easy swapable (when it went bad) like a bad battery
Hardware-Feature-Request for the future?
I agree.

Sometimes when we repair M92 we have to replace the mainboard (quite seldom task though). But reworking of soldered parts is really annoying job. I suggested to Onyx to use FCB connectors instead, but as result they would have to redesign PCB and they would rather to avoid this costly work. We got for free some new replacement joysticks /LED boards instead .
Booxtor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 02:21 PM   #25
Moinchen
Moinchen knows the square root of minus one.Moinchen knows the square root of minus one.Moinchen knows the square root of minus one.Moinchen knows the square root of minus one.Moinchen knows the square root of minus one.Moinchen knows the square root of minus one.Moinchen knows the square root of minus one.Moinchen knows the square root of minus one.Moinchen knows the square root of minus one.Moinchen knows the square root of minus one.Moinchen knows the square root of minus one.

Device: none
The pictures are gone - maybe because of the dropbox issue?
Moinchen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 06:29 AM   #26
Booxtor
Booxtor
Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: a lot of..
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moinchen View Post
The pictures are gone - maybe because of the dropbox issue?
Yes, my public folder has been blocked by dropbox for 2 days (because of big trafic after release of last update). Pictures will be available again tomorrow I guess
Booxtor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 12:55 PM   #27
kir17
kir17 began at the beginning.

Device: onyx book 60
Can anybody tell me, what type of audio chip is used in M92 or give photo of this chip on mainboard? Its position number is U10. I cannot read its marking on photos in this thread.

Is it mounted in M92S?

Thanks.
kir17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2015, 12:43 PM   #28
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Moderator Notice

Booxter
Please take a few moments to read our Posting Guidelines, in particular the part about the maximum image size allowed (600x600 pixels). Images that violate those guidelines will be deleted.

It is every member's responsibility to read our Posting Guidelines and follow them.

Thanks.
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2015, 03:23 PM   #29
skobie78
Enthusiast
skobie78 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.skobie78 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.skobie78 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.skobie78 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.skobie78 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.skobie78 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.skobie78 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.skobie78 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.skobie78 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.skobie78 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.skobie78 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Sony PRS-T1, Onyx M92, Onyx Boox Max
Here are the links to the images from the original post.

Luckily I could recover the links as the Internet Archive had mirrored the post in the 3 years before Dr Drib deleted them.

skobie78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2015, 08:42 PM   #30
timofonic
Zealot
timofonic has a certain pleonastic somethingtimofonic has a certain pleonastic somethingtimofonic has a certain pleonastic somethingtimofonic has a certain pleonastic somethingtimofonic has a certain pleonastic somethingtimofonic has a certain pleonastic somethingtimofonic has a certain pleonastic somethingtimofonic has a certain pleonastic somethingtimofonic has a certain pleonastic somethingtimofonic has a certain pleonastic somethingtimofonic has a certain pleonastic something

Device: Onyx Boox M96+
Thanks!

Any way to have the same for M96?
timofonic is offline   Reply With Quote