Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Deals and Resources (No Self-Promotion or Affiliate Links)

Notices

Old 11-26-2012, 04:06 PM   #31
jgaiser
Omnivorous
jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kindle Fire HD, Kindle 3, KPW1
Quote:
Originally Posted by nesler View Post
Research. Research. Research!
jgaiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 06:04 PM   #32
Blue Tyson
Blue Captain
Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard 3G,Huawei Ideos X3,Kobo Mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by caleb72 View Post
The fact that five of my favourite authors were present didn't help.
Elizabeth Hand, Barbara Vine and Robert McCammon were there in droves and there was even a book there from Peter Straub and Iain Banks. *feeling faint*

There were also two on my current wishlist by Hubert Selby Jr: Requiem for a Dream and Last Exit to Brooklyn.

So I pretty much scooped the lot of 'em. I am such a sucker!!!!

Looking at the Mystery/Thriller section though I think there's some of us out there that are going to have a harder time of it than I did. I'm expecting we'll start seeing members filing for bankruptcy.

Elizabeth Hand finally! Very good!
Blue Tyson is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-26-2012, 06:39 PM   #33
xendula
eBookworm
xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4B/K ~ Nexus 7 ~ Kindle Paperwhite 1&2 ~ iPad Air
Quote:
Originally Posted by nesler View Post
Um... they have tool marks.

And a second article written by an anthropologist at the Smithsonian.

(I apologize for the off-topic post. Just... Chariots of the Gods gets my dander up.)
Thanks for the link. I read his books when I was 14, which, sadly, was before 1996.
There are still a lot of unexplained mysteries. I am not saying his explanations are nothing but the truth, but they make a lot of sense to me.
xendula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 09:13 PM   #34
caleb72
Indie Advocate
caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Tyson View Post
Elizabeth Hand finally! Very good!
Another Hand fan? I seriously danced around the house when I saw these. I even petitioned her personally to get her books out in eForm promising her I'd buy all of them.

I think this purchase of Winterlong was my third.

I adore her writing. She does have a few issues with conclusions in her books, but the journey is a special experience.
caleb72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 10:04 PM   #35
Blue Tyson
Blue Captain
Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard 3G,Huawei Ideos X3,Kobo Mini
Quote:
Another Hand fan? I seriously danced around the house when I saw these. I even petitioned her personally to get her books out in eForm promising her I'd buy all of them.

I think this purchase of Winterlong was my third.

I adore her writing. She does have a few issues with conclusions in her books, but the journey is a special experience.
One I'd never seen, too!

There's also a non-associated collection of hers I noticed the other day that I also hadn't seen, so buildng up!
Blue Tyson is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-26-2012, 10:45 PM   #36
Indio777
Addict
Indio777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Indio777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Indio777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Indio777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Indio777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Indio777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Indio777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Indio777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Indio777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Indio777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Indio777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Mobile Phone, Kindle (rarely), but mostly still read paper
Quote:
The fact that five of my favourite authors were present didn't help.
Elizabeth Hand, Barbara Vine and Robert McCammon were there in droves and there was even a book there from Peter Straub and Iain Banks. *feeling faint*
I missed the Straub and Banks books. So I had to go back and get those. I'll read anything by those guys (I like the sci-fi stuff from Banks too). Glad you mentioned them.

This was after getting all of the Ruth Rendell/Barbara Vine titles I did not already have. As well as Robert McCammon. And stuff from Martyn Waites, and Jonathan Carroll. And most of Nicola Barker's titles.

Quote:
Looking at the Mystery/Thriller section though I think there's some of us out there that are going to have a harder time of it than I did. I'm expecting we'll start seeing members filing for bankruptcy.
lol. Yes, see above.

Still mulling over Elizabeth Hand's stuff. I have been so bad, I don't know if I should stop now or just go on and be a bit "badder" and get her titles as well. I suspect I will opt for the latter.

Edit (later): Okay, I was "badder." Can't wait to start reading these.

Last edited by Indio777; 11-26-2012 at 10:55 PM.
Indio777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 11:14 PM   #37
Critteranne
Guru
Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, iPad
Quote:
Wow! So much good stuff. I went a bit nuts.
Me, too.

ETA:
OMG! I'm glad I followed that link in case I missed any. They have that David Housewright trilogy I wanted to try for just $4.99!

http://www.amazon.com/The-Holland-Ta...I2OFOMVH4GG447

Last edited by Critteranne; 11-26-2012 at 11:23 PM.
Critteranne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 11:18 PM   #38
Indio777
Addict
Indio777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Indio777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Indio777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Indio777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Indio777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Indio777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Indio777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Indio777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Indio777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Indio777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Indio777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by xendula View Post
Underwhelmed by the Fantasy and SciFi titles
Too bad....
Probably too late, but if you don't have them already would recommend some of the Barbara Hambly titles. They are a bit old (from the 80s?), but decent fantasy. I have all of them in paper and read them several times.

Darwath Trilogy might be best place to start.

Windrose Chronicles aren't bad either, nor the Sun Wolf and Starhawk books.

Oh, I think they are all good, if you can stand a bit of "romance" in your fantasy. Normally I don't care about that too much, but it's low key in her books.
Old 11-27-2012, 12:47 AM   #39
silasgreenback
New Leaf Turner
silasgreenback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silasgreenback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silasgreenback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silasgreenback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silasgreenback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silasgreenback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silasgreenback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silasgreenback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silasgreenback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silasgreenback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silasgreenback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indio777 View Post
This was after getting all of the Ruth Rendell/Barbara Vine titles I did not already have. As well as Robert McCammon. And stuff from Martyn Waites, and Jonathan Carroll. And most of Nicola Barker's titles.
Because of the sale, I'm getting that much closer to owning or having read all of Rendell's books. Thanks, Amazon!

Bought every Jonathan Carroll and James Ellroy title. Coincidentally, I had a hardcover copy of Carroll's Glass Soup arrive today.

On the fence about some of the Nicola Barker books. Haven't read anything by her, but they sound interesting enough. Since you brought it up, I may have to pull the trigger. It's also tough deciding on what to do about all those Dubus books.
silasgreenback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 02:22 AM   #40
NightBird
Wizard
NightBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KPW, KF, KF HD, iPod Touch
Quote:
Christianna Brand was born Mary Christianna Milne (1907) in Malaya and grew up in India.[1] She had a number of different occupations, including model, dancer, shop assistant and governess.[2] Brand also wrote under the pseudonyms Mary Ann Ashe, Annabel Jones, Mary Roland, and China Thomson. Christianna Brand served as Chair of the Crime Writers' Association from 1972-1973.[3]

Her first novel, Death in High Heels, was written while Brand was working as a salesgirl, the idea stemming from her fantasies about doing away with an annoying co-worker. In 1941, one of her best-loved characters, Inspector Cockrill of the Kent County Police, made his debut in the book Heads You Lose. The character would go on to appear in seven of her novels. Green for Danger is Brand’s most famous novel. The whodunit, set in a World War II hospital, was adapted for film by Eagle-Lion Films in 1946, starring Alastair Sim as the Inspector. She dropped the series in the late 1950s and concentrated on various genres as well as short stories. She was nominated three times for Edgar Awards: for the short stories "Poison in the Cup" (EQMM, Feb. 1969) and "Twist for Twist" (EQMM, May 1967) and for a nonfiction work about a Scottish murder case, Heaven Knows Who
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Christianna_Brand

Christianna Brand
NightBird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 02:24 AM   #41
caleb72
Indie Advocate
caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Exhausted now. I popped back in to get a couple of prize winners and other classics:

The Good Earth
The Prime Of Miss Jean Brodie
The Color Purple
The Keepers of the House

Also scooped up two more Barbara Vines.

That's it!! No more!!

I can't believe how undisciplined I was ... and how much I enjoyed it.
caleb72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 03:24 AM   #42
koland
Grand Sorcerer
koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle(all), nook, nookcolor, Sony, Kobo, epic, iphone, iPad, pc
well, the prices have popped back up at amazon.

just in time, my gift card balance was shrinking fast...
koland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 08:33 AM   #43
xendula
eBookworm
xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4B/K ~ Nexus 7 ~ Kindle Paperwhite 1&2 ~ iPad Air
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indio777 View Post
Probably too late, but if you don't have them already would recommend some of the Barbara Hambly titles. They are a bit old (from the 80s?), but decent fantasy. I have all of them in paper and read them several times.

Darwath Trilogy might be best place to start.

Windrose Chronicles aren't bad either, nor the Sun Wolf and Starhawk books.

Oh, I think they are all good, if you can stand a bit of "romance" in your fantasy. Normally I don't care about that too much, but it's low key in her books.
Are you kidding? I need a good dose of romance in my novels. I guess that's the girl in me
Thanks for the suggestions- they reached me too late, unfortunately.
I did download the first in the Darwath trilogy as a sample, but then read about it being a bit dark and hopeless, so I decided against it. I can take a bit of darkness, and a tiny bit of cruelty if need be, but can't continue reading unless I see light at the end of the tunnel.
xendula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 02:57 PM   #44
Indio777
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by xendula View Post
Are you kidding? I need a good dose of romance in my novels. I guess that's the girl in me
Thanks for the suggestions- they reached me too late, unfortunately.
I did download the first in the Darwath trilogy as a sample, but then read about it being a bit dark and hopeless, so I decided against it. I can take a bit of darkness, and a tiny bit of cruelty if need be, but can't continue reading unless I see light at the end of the tunnel.
Yeah, there are some dark parts. A kingdom is besieged by flying "things" (sound a bit Lovecraftian) that basically suck the life out of people when it is dark. People are only safe in daylight or, if out at night, with lots of fire. They have to retreat to a completely sealed keep.

So the nature of the "bad guys" makes the books kind of horror and well as fantasy.

But they do prevail, although it takes three volumes. But I liked it. Some predictable things, but some not so. The way the "bad guys" are defeated and why they attacked in the first place are interesting. And some nice character development.

Her two-book series that involves a dragon is much "lighter." First book is Dragonsbane. Yeah, I know, yet another fantasy about dragons. But she adds enough new elements to make it interesting. And still a bit of romance. So if these are on sale again, might consider trying that.

I'm just glad that her books are available as ebooks, as many of them are out of print.

Although she is still writing. She basically switched from fantasy to mystery awhile back with her Benjamin January series. The protagonist is a Creole in early nineteenth century New Orleans.

But I see she has recently put out some more titles in her James Asher series. Again nineteenth century, this time in England. Asher is an academic who is also a spy for the British government who ends up working with vampires. Yeah, I know yet MORE vampire books. But her first ones in the series were written years ago (80s?), well before the current vampire craze. I thought they were quite good. Perhaps the more recent titles are in response to the vampire craze. I haven't read them, so no idea as to how good they are.

Sorry to wander off topic, but I kind of like this author. . Hopefully her stuff will be on sale again soon.
Old 11-27-2012, 03:02 PM   #45
Indio777
Addict

Quote:
I can't believe how undisciplined I was ... and how much I enjoyed it.
I was bad too. I finally checked how many books I got: nearly 40.

But no buyer's remorse. It was fun.

Now, let's see how long it takes before I read these ....