Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 11-13-2008, 04:50 AM   #1
stu
stu began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-505
Not Happy with Purchased ebooks. Is this normal?

Hi,

I recently purchased a couple of ebooks for my newly aquired PRS-505 and am not happy with the whole ebook experience so far.

With the first book it is not possible to jump to a chapter from the table of contents. Some chapters work, some don't. Those that don't can be up to 20 pages out. The book is a reference book so I want to be able to jump around at will. It is an epub document and was supplied by Waterstones- the preferred supply in the UK.

With the second book, the formatting is messed up unless it is viewed on the smallest font setting which unfortunately renders it impossible to read even when using reading glasses. Increasing the font size does strange things like loses line breaks. This is a pdf document and I bought it from Books on Board.

Is this normal or have I bought a couple of duff items?

I am running the latest firmware on the sony (1.2.00.18050) and Adobe Digital Editions 1.5

Thanks

stu

Last edited by stu; 11-13-2008 at 09:33 AM.
stu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2008, 05:36 AM   #2
dhbailey
Guru
dhbailey will become famous soon enoughdhbailey will become famous soon enoughdhbailey will become famous soon enoughdhbailey will become famous soon enoughdhbailey will become famous soon enoughdhbailey will become famous soon enoughdhbailey will become famous soon enough

Device: HP iPAQ211 / PRS 500, 700 and 505
I wouldn't say it's normal, but then with all the vast number of ebooks out there, it's hard to say what's normal. I haven't bought any reference books, so I can't speak to that side of things, and I don't have a 505 or 700 (yet -- it should be here this afternoon) so I can't speak to the epub side of things either.

But on my 500, the formatting on all the books I have purchased has been fine and resizing the font hasn't ruined anything. I've only bought novels, though.
dhbailey is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-13-2008, 07:24 AM   #3
ShellShock
Wizard
ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: IPad Mini 2 Retina
I haven't come across formatting that bad, but I have not bought anything from Waterstones (yet). The book I'm currently reading, from Fictionwise, has a typo every few chapters. It is annonying because there is no simple (or official) way to correct them. If the formatting is that bad I would demand a refund.
ShellShock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2008, 07:39 AM   #4
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
The ePub one sounds like an error on the part of the document creator - I'd request a refund from the publisher.

The PDF case is more problematic. It is, from your description, more than like a case of a PDF document for which "reflow" doesn't work very well. PDF was never intended to be an eBook format and generally doesn't do at all well at it. It's far better to buy in virtually any other format than PDF if you can possibly help it.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2008, 07:59 AM   #5
Sparrow
Wizard
Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm TX, CyBook Gen3
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShellShock View Post
The book I'm currently reading, from Fictionwise, has a typo every few chapters. It is annonying because there is no simple (or official) way to correct them.
In my experience, ebooks (other than PDFs) definitely have more typos than pbooks.
I don't think they're subjected to the same proofing procedures as pbooks.
I'm currently reading the ebook version of Steven King's 'The Stand', purchased from FictionWise. So far, I think every occurrence of 'corner' has been rendered as 'comer'. A typical OCR error.
Sparrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-13-2008, 09:30 AM   #6
igorsk
Wizard
igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-500/505/700, Kindle, Cybook Gen3, Words Gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparrow View Post
In my experience, ebooks (other than PDFs) definitely have more typos than pbooks.
I don't think they're subjected to the same proofing procedures as pbooks.
I'm currently reading the ebook version of Steven King's 'The Stand', purchased from FictionWise. So far, I think every occurrence of 'corner' has been rendered as 'comer'. A typical OCR error.
Wow, and for this they ask fifty bucks?!
igorsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2008, 09:30 AM   #7
stu
stu began at the beginning.

Thanks for your comments and the heads up about pdfs. I've requested a refund from Waterstones and BooksonBoard. I'm a bit miffed about BooksonBoard as they say, on their site, the Adobe Digital Editions format is not pdf.

Cheers

stu
stu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2008, 09:43 AM   #8
stephenfsnow
stephenfsnow began at the beginning.

Now I'm scared. I just bought the Chronicles of Narnia series from BooksOnBoard in Adobe digital editions format. My PRS-505 should be here tomorrow, so hopefully this format isn't totally screwed up. Anyone else have experience with adobe digital editions?
stephenfsnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2008, 09:50 AM   #9
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
Quote:
Originally Posted by stu View Post
Thanks for your comments and the heads up about pdfs. I've requested a refund from Waterstones and BooksonBoard. I'm a bit miffed about BooksonBoard as they say, on their site, the Adobe Digital Editions format is not pdf.

Cheers

stu
if it is adobe digital editions it could be epub format, which is not pdf.
zelda_pinwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2008, 09:57 AM   #10
DixieGal
Hi There!
DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by stephenfsnow View Post
Now I'm scared. I just bought the Chronicles of Narnia series from BooksOnBoard in Adobe digital editions format. My PRS-505 should be here tomorrow, so hopefully this format isn't totally screwed up. Anyone else have experience with adobe digital editions?
My mother taught me that if I can't say anything nice, then don't say anything at all.

(OUCH! That Adobe DE burn I got is still raw!)
DixieGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2008, 10:10 AM   #11
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by igorsk View Post
Wow, and for this they ask fifty bucks?!
It's now $2.95 at Amazon. I paid $9.99 for it a few months ago at Amazon and $17.?? for a LIT copy at Fictionwise at the same time. Don't know what they're thinking about.
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2008, 10:13 AM   #12
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by daffy4u View Post
It's now $2.95 at Amazon. I paid $9.99 for it a few months ago at Amazon and $17.?? for a LIT copy at Fictionwise at the same time. Don't know what they're thinking about.
2.95 vs $50. That will pay for about 7% of your joining the Kindle book club.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2008, 10:21 AM   #13
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
Quote:
I wouldn't worry about the Narnia books. I bought them (Kindle version), and I'm up to book 4. I haven't found any typos.

I would bet the person who made the ebooks did it out of love for the series. They did take the time to scan and include the original pictures, after all.
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2008, 11:37 AM   #14
stephenfsnow
stephenfsnow began at the beginning.

I'm talking about the reflow issues with PDF. I noticed that the Narnia books from BooksOnBoard are in fact protected PDF files and not ePUB as they lead you to believe. The info on their formats page says that the adobe digital formats they sell are not PDF, and then the sample book they have you download is ePUB leading you to believe that you'll be getting ePUB.

In the future I'll probably stay away from the ADE eBooks (in fear of the PDF), and do the MS Reader deDRM and convert thing...
stephenfsnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2008, 12:07 PM   #15
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
The Mobi versions of the Narnia books are extremely nicely done, with all the original illustrations. No reason at all to suppose that the ePub versions shouldn't be equally good.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote