Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 12-01-2011, 09:39 PM   #46
ttsddu
ttsddu began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by nnyy View Post
Firstly, thankyou Seebee and all others for their great effort.

ttsddu, may I know which existing font you used for reading chinese?
Quote:
Originally Posted by ttsddu View Post
Detailed steps:
1. Right click on the book you added in calibre, click "Tweak ePub".
2. Click "Explode ePub", locate and open the .css file by text editor. (e.g. ".\OPS\css\main.css")
3. Change the corresponding font-face block to below.
@font-face {
font-family:"the font family you found using in other blocks, e.g. cnepub, zw";
src:url(res:///ebook/fonts/DroidSansFallback.ttf);
}
4. Save the file, click "Rebuild ePub".
5. Select the book and click "Send to device", or right click on the book, click "Open containing folder" and copy the modified book to your desired location.

Thank you seabee for this exciting solution.
It's DroidSansFallback, hope it can help~
ttsddu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 04:10 AM   #47
seabee
Connoisseur
seabee writes the songs that make the whole world sing.seabee writes the songs that make the whole world sing.seabee writes the songs that make the whole world sing.seabee writes the songs that make the whole world sing.seabee writes the songs that make the whole world sing.seabee writes the songs that make the whole world sing.seabee writes the songs that make the whole world sing.seabee writes the songs that make the whole world sing.seabee writes the songs that make the whole world sing.seabee writes the songs that make the whole world sing.seabee writes the songs that make the whole world sing.

Device: Kobo Mini
Quote:
It's DroidSansFallback, hope it can help~
Only SWNMTeb.ttc and DroidSansFallback.ttf are large enough font files to contain the many glyphs (more than ten thousand) of the CJK part of the whole Unicode charset. The Fallback in the name was another clue, but for some reason, Windows fails to open this font file (and only this one among those in the PRS-T1 /ebook/fonts folder).

However, the SWNMTeb.ttc font collection with two fonts (SYMinIWA-Th and SYNMinIWA-Th) contains Greek, Cyrillic, Japanese Hiragana/katakana, CJK ideograms (at least 62*200=12400 counted in Character Table)+symbols/punctuation and ideographic symbols. I don't know how to choose among the two fonts in the collection using @font-face in the css but both contains the same characters (I didn't see any difference between them when using Windows Character Table application, they look exactly the same to me).

Last edited by seabee; 12-02-2011 at 04:12 AM.
seabee is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-02-2011, 11:45 AM   #48
bigpizza
bigpizza can name that ebook in five wordsbigpizza can name that ebook in five wordsbigpizza can name that ebook in five wordsbigpizza can name that ebook in five wordsbigpizza can name that ebook in five wordsbigpizza can name that ebook in five wordsbigpizza can name that ebook in five wordsbigpizza can name that ebook in five wordsbigpizza can name that ebook in five wordsbigpizza can name that ebook in five wordsbigpizza can name that ebook in five words

Device: prs-505, prs-T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by seabee View Post
Thank you, but I tried the following paths and all failed (after adding comic.ttf at the root of reader's internal memory, as seen when connected to the PC, and also of micro-sd card, the last 3 paths "just in case").
src: url(res:////sdcard/comic.ttf);
src: url(res:///mnt//sdcard/comic.ttf);
src: url(res:///ebook/mnt/sdcard/comic.ttf);
src: url(res:///ebook/sdcard/comic.ttf);
src: url(res:///ebook/comic.ttf);
The memory path /mnt/sdcard/ is correct. Fbreader in the rooted T1 can set the font path as /mnt/sdcard/..., and it can fetch the fonts there. It's weird why sony's reader cannot fetch fonts from /mnt/sdcard/.
bigpizza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 03:00 PM   #49
nosnoop
Enthusiast
nosnoop is a rising star in the heavensnosnoop is a rising star in the heavensnosnoop is a rising star in the heavensnosnoop is a rising star in the heavensnosnoop is a rising star in the heavensnosnoop is a rising star in the heavensnosnoop is a rising star in the heavensnosnoop is a rising star in the heavensnosnoop is a rising star in the heavensnosnoop is a rising star in the heavensnosnoop is a rising star in the heavens

Device: Kindle Paperwhite; PRS-T1
Quote:
3. Change the corresponding font-face block to below.
@font-face {
font-family:"the font family you found using in other blocks, e.g. cnepub, zw";
}
I tried adding this to the Preference-Extra CSS during TXT -> ePub conversion, but it wasn't added in the generated epub's css file:

Code:
@font-face {
   font-family: "DroidSans", serif, sans-serif;
   }
I can't figure out why. What is the proper way of using Extra CSS?
nosnoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 03:16 PM   #50
seabee
Connoisseur
seabee writes the songs that make the whole world sing.seabee writes the songs that make the whole world sing.seabee writes the songs that make the whole world sing.seabee writes the songs that make the whole world sing.seabee writes the songs that make the whole world sing.seabee writes the songs that make the whole world sing.seabee writes the songs that make the whole world sing.seabee writes the songs that make the whole world sing.seabee writes the songs that make the whole world sing.seabee writes the songs that make the whole world sing.seabee writes the songs that make the whole world sing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigpizza View Post
The memory path /mnt/sdcard/ is correct. Fbreader in the rooted T1 can set the font path as /mnt/sdcard/..., and it can fetch the fonts there. It's weird why sony's reader cannot fetch fonts from /mnt/sdcard/.
But do you see the /ebook/fonts/ path ? Because this one works when referenced in @font-face (using src:url(res:///ebook/fonts/fontFileName); attribute) and contains all the fonts of the PRS-T1. Or is it a sub-directory (not in the root) ? It's perfectly possible that the reader software do some translation/mapping on the paths when accessing files referenced in the @font-face of the css.

Listing all directories content with a "sudo ls -alFR / > dirlist.txt" shell command on a rooted PRS-T1 could possibly .
Advert
Old 12-02-2011, 03:16 PM   #51
ShellShock
Wizard
ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: IPad Mini 2 Retina
If your epub has embedded fonts which are preventing your default fonts from being used, you can fix this by deleting the font files from the epub, without having to edit the css (which can be a bit fiddly). This trick works on older readers, and hopefully does too on the T1.
ShellShock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 03:43 PM   #52
bigpizza
bigpizza can name that ebook in five wordsbigpizza can name that ebook in five wordsbigpizza can name that ebook in five wordsbigpizza can name that ebook in five wordsbigpizza can name that ebook in five wordsbigpizza can name that ebook in five wordsbigpizza can name that ebook in five wordsbigpizza can name that ebook in five wordsbigpizza can name that ebook in five wordsbigpizza can name that ebook in five wordsbigpizza can name that ebook in five words

Device: prs-505, prs-T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by seabee View Post
But do you see the /ebook/fonts/ path ? Because this one works when referenced in @font-face (using src:url(res:///ebook/fonts/fontFileName); attribute) and contains all the fonts of the PRS-T1. Or is it a sub-directory (not in the root) ? It's perfectly possible that the reader software do some translation/mapping on the paths when accessing files referenced in the @font-face of the css.

Listing all directories content with a "sudo ls -alFR / > dirlist.txt" shell command on a rooted PRS-T1 could possibly .
It doesn't support ls -alRF. It only supports ls -l.
/ebook, /mnt are both in the root. So I guess the sony reader just map the /mnt to some other place.
bigpizza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 04:10 PM   #53
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: KA1, ClaraHD, Forma, Libra2, Clara2E. PocketBook: TouchHD3
Quote:
Originally Posted by nosnoop View Post
I tried adding this to the Preference-Extra CSS during TXT -> ePub conversion, but it wasn't added in the generated epub's css file:

Code:
@font-face {
   }
I can't figure out why. What is the proper way of using Extra CSS?
For some reason, Calibre conversions put ExtraCSS @font-face statements inside each of the html content files rather than into the css file. It should still work correctly when you read it on your T1.
jackie_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 04:18 PM   #54
seabee
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigpizza View Post
It doesn't support ls -alRF. It only supports ls -l.
/ebook, /mnt are both in the root. So I guess the sony reader just map the /mnt to some other place.
for the confirmation.

Strange, it uses busybox to implement ls and I verified that busybox's ls support -alRF (or better -alARF) options... (I mounted the images I got from ebook_msc.exe in a Linux VM to try to investigate without rooting my PRS-T1).
Old 12-02-2011, 06:09 PM   #55
nosnoop
Enthusiast
nosnoop is a rising star in the heavensnosnoop is a rising star in the heavensnosnoop is a rising star in the heavensnosnoop is a rising star in the heavensnosnoop is a rising star in the heavensnosnoop is a rising star in the heavensnosnoop is a rising star in the heavensnosnoop is a rising star in the heavensnosnoop is a rising star in the heavensnosnoop is a rising star in the heavensnosnoop is a rising star in the heavens

Device: Kindle Paperwhite; PRS-T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackie_w View Post
For some reason, Calibre conversions put ExtraCSS @font-face statements inside each of the html content files rather than into the css file. It should still work correctly when you read it on your T1.
Ah, thanks! Did not think of checking it there.
Will test it out tonight.
nosnoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011, 01:03 AM   #56
log
log ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.log ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.log ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.log ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.log ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.log ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.log ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.log ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.log ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.log ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.log ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T1
very nice work, cheers
log is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 04:24 PM   #57
Barty
doofus
Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by salines View Post
But then I have to include the fonts in each epub. That's what I want to avoid. I want my font on the T1 and use it in every epub. That's less work I think and also saves storage space.
On the kindle, I can add an alternate font on the device and tell it to use that font for all books. Can that be done on the T1? I'm willing to root.

Because if I have to alter every single ePub just to use the font I want, that is not an acceptable solution. And I'm pretty sure whatever default fonts it has, I won't like them. I'm very particular.

Also, does the t1 accept a user CSS to override whatever CSS there may be in the book? If so, how extensive is CSS support? Does it do text-shadow?

Thanks.
Barty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 04:53 AM   #58
flameproof
flameproof began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-T1
After reading it a few time I still don't get it. My target: to have Chinese Characters displayed for EPUB.

What I did so far:

I got a version of DroidSansFallback.ttf from the XDA website.

I have a Chinese EPUB, where I opened the CSS and added:

Code:
@font-face {
   src:url(res:///Sony_Reader/data/fonts/DroidSansFallback.ttf);
   }
You can see where I put the TTF on the T1. Most likely wrong. I have no SD card.

Where should I put the TTF?

Seems my T1 has 2 partitions, READER and SETTING. SETTING is write protected. READER has 4 directories: Books / DCIM / download / Sony_Reader

Where I am supposed to put the font file?
flameproof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 06:50 AM   #59
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: KA1, ClaraHD, Forma, Libra2, Clara2E. PocketBook: TouchHD3
Quote:
Originally Posted by flameproof View Post
After reading it a few time I still don't get it. My target: to have Chinese Characters displayed for EPUB.

What I did so far:

I got a version of DroidSansFallback.ttf from the XDA website.

I have a Chinese EPUB, where I opened the CSS and added:

Code:
@font-face {
   src:url(res:///Sony_Reader/data/fonts/DroidSansFallback.ttf);
   }
You can see where I put the TTF on the T1. Most likely wrong. I have no SD card.

Where should I put the TTF?

Seems my T1 has 2 partitions, READER and SETTING. SETTING is write protected. READER has 4 directories: Books / DCIM / download / Sony_Reader

Where I am supposed to put the font file?
The file DroidSansFallback.ttf is already in your T1 in an area which is not user-visible. You do not need to copy it. You access it via
Code:
src:url(res:///ebook/fonts/DroidSansFallback.ttf)
in the epub css, not
Code:
src:url(res:///Sony_Reader/data/fonts/DroidSansFallback.ttf)
jackie_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 07:21 AM   #60
xuyn2003
Connoisseur
xuyn2003 might easily be mistaken for a Texanxuyn2003 might easily be mistaken for a Texanxuyn2003 might easily be mistaken for a Texanxuyn2003 might easily be mistaken for a Texanxuyn2003 might easily be mistaken for a Texanxuyn2003 might easily be mistaken for a Texanxuyn2003 might easily be mistaken for a Texanxuyn2003 might easily be mistaken for a Texanxuyn2003 might easily be mistaken for a Texanxuyn2003 might easily be mistaken for a Texanxuyn2003 might easily be mistaken for a Texan

Device: PRS-T1&KOBOTOUCH
An example that will work, root required

1.Rename any of your favorite fonts set(a fonts set contains four fonts, normally regular,bold,italic,bolditalic to "VerdanaW1G.otf, VerdanaW1G-Bold.otf, VerdanaW1G-BoldItalic.otf, VerdanaW1G-Italic.otf" (your fonts can be either "ttf" or "otf", but you must rename them as the name listed above)

2.Copy all the fonts in /ebook/fonts/ to /sdcard/fonts/, then copy your renamed fonts in step1 to /sdcard/fonts/, so the orginal VerdanaW1G fonts will be replaced.

3. in terminal, type: mount -o bind /sdcard/fonts/ /ebook/fonts/

4. then in sony reader, select the font type "Vendana"

Note: After you binded /sdcard/fonts/ to /ebook/fonts/, if connect to the PC via usb&data transfer mode, this mothod will not work untill you disconnect the usb.
And, if you reboot your T1, the bind will also disappear, so I recommend to use GScript.apk to run this command easily once after the T1 was boot up.

My question is, is there any shell to remove the bind? I typed umount /sdcard/fonts/, but get a word "failed", now I can only reboot to remove the bind.

Last edited by xuyn2003; 12-08-2011 at 09:22 AM.
xuyn2003 is offline   Reply With Quote