Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 06-27-2014, 12:50 PM   #1
folzag
folzag began at the beginning.

Device: K3
Repairing broken screens

Greetings,

As this is my first post, I want to take a moment to compliment everyone on the wealth of knowledge and useful tools assembled here. It is really impressive. Thank you.

My question concerns broken screens. There are no shortage of broken eInk screens and from what I can tell a very large number of them have no obvious or visible fractures. Has anyone tried to diagnose how these screens break and whether it is possible to fix a non-functional screen?

It seems a replacement screen costs as much as a used kindle. If there were some feasible way to fix a non-functional screen there are hundreds of kindles out there ready for a second life. Otherwise, a kindle with a broken screen is close to worthless, as far as I can tell. Short of the battery and a cheap way to upgrade one's wifi kindle w/ 3G, is there anything of value there?

Thanks much,
-Allan
folzag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2014, 01:17 PM   #2
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
There is one exception to your observations:
The DX and DXG - - those still bring a price for a used device that is more than the cost of the screen.
Those are worth buying a new screen for.

The others are just spare parts.

- - - - -

In answer to your question -
I don't recall reading any post about exactly "HOW" the screens fail when there is no visible damage.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-27-2014, 06:05 PM   #3
folzag
folzag began at the beginning.

Device: K3
Thanks for the answer.

And bummer. Had hoped I was wrong.
folzag is offline   Reply With Quote