Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 10-25-2011, 05:42 AM   #1
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
The Overdrive Library Search Sucks!

That is all...

kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 05:44 AM   #2
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyc View Post
That is all...

User error. I find it just fine.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-25-2011, 05:50 AM   #3
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
What does it do?
tubemonkey is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 05:57 AM   #4
kennyc
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

It just plain sucks. It finds all kinds of irrelevant stuff. I sent a bug report a few weeks back (via the local library) because whenever you search for "Science and Math" books you get "Science Fiction!" how stupid is that?

Was told they forwarded the bug report and it does seem they fixed that but man...they could certainly take some lessons from google.
Old 10-25-2011, 06:23 AM   #5
Asawi
Gadgetoholic
Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2, Tolino Vision 6
I use the "search within results" a lot. Meaning I make a wide search first (like for example "science") and then I search for "math" (or whatevever) within those results.
Asawi is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-25-2011, 08:55 AM   #6
HomeInMyShoes
Grand Sorcerer
HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
It just plain sucks. It finds all kinds of irrelevant stuff. I sent a bug report a few weeks back (via the local library) because whenever you search for "Science and Math" books you get "Science Fiction!" how stupid is that?

Was told they forwarded the bug report and it does seem they fixed that but man...they could certainly take some lessons from google.
Sounds like the classic using an OR search by default instead of an AND search. That's just bad search implementation. You see it on a lot of sites, even on sites you'd expect good search implementations.
HomeInMyShoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 09:06 AM   #7
JD Gumby
Cynical Old Curmudgeon
JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Mini, Kobo Arc, HTC Desire C
Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeInMyShoes View Post
Sounds like the classic using an OR search by default instead of an AND search. That's just bad search implementation. You see it on a lot of sites, even on sites you'd expect good search implementations.
*shrug* Even Google does it that way. I miss the old days where AND was the default for searches (and search engines didn't take it upon themselves to search for variations on your search terms, either, beyond maybe offering an option to apply the terms to substrings).
JD Gumby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 09:25 AM   #8
HomeInMyShoes
Grand Sorcerer
HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
^Google compensates by having a pretty decent ranking and usefulness algorithm in the background, but few companies are Google when it comes to search. You can get around it with good ranking, but if you don't have the data and algorithms to do that, you should stick with AND by default. One of the difficult aspects when telling people their search sucks is they don't believe you. But the more noise you throw at a user the longer it takes them to find things and the longer they take to find something the higher the likelihood they are just going to give up and go elsewhere.

IA is one of my passions.
HomeInMyShoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 09:57 AM   #9
emilikins
Short One in the Stacks
emilikins can program the VCR without an owner's manual.emilikins can program the VCR without an owner's manual.emilikins can program the VCR without an owner's manual.emilikins can program the VCR without an owner's manual.emilikins can program the VCR without an owner's manual.emilikins can program the VCR without an owner's manual.emilikins can program the VCR without an owner's manual.emilikins can program the VCR without an owner's manual.emilikins can program the VCR without an owner's manual.emilikins can program the VCR without an owner's manual.emilikins can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: HTC Flyer; Kobo WiFi
I love it when I do an author search, regardless if it's first name-last name or flipped: I will still get authors with names that don't even come close to what I put in. If you don't have that author, just say so, so I can move on.
emilikins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 10:06 AM   #10
jj2me
Guru
jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, -350; Kindle 3 3G, DX, PW 2; various tablets
Great search option for finding newly added audiobooks and e-books:
"Advanced Search" --> "Date added to site" --> choose a dropdown, like "Within the last 7 days".
jj2me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 10:11 AM   #11
kennyc

Quote:
Originally Posted by emilikins View Post
I love it when I do an author search, regardless if it's first name-last name or flipped: I will still get authors with names that don't even come close to what I put in. If you don't have that author, just say so, so I can move on.
Exactly that sort of krap is why it sucks.

It's not even close to correct.
Old 10-25-2011, 03:10 PM   #12
SleepyBob
Evangelist
SleepyBob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SleepyBob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SleepyBob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SleepyBob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SleepyBob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SleepyBob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SleepyBob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SleepyBob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SleepyBob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SleepyBob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SleepyBob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW3
Their whole site has issues. To check out a book, first you go to "my holds". Then you click on the book you have on hold. Then you have to go to your cart. Then you get to check out your book.

Or you want to check out the first 5 books of "Women's Murder Club" by James Patterson. So you search on James Patterson. You find the book you want and put it on hold. Then you click on "return to browsing", and where does it take you? Back to the list of books you had been browsing? Of course not - it takes you to the Home page. Which you could have gotten to by clicking the "Home" button at the top of the page. So now you have to start your search from scratch.
SleepyBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 03:10 PM   #13
SleepyBob
Evangelist
SleepyBob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SleepyBob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SleepyBob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SleepyBob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SleepyBob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SleepyBob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SleepyBob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SleepyBob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SleepyBob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SleepyBob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SleepyBob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW3
And don't get me started on the fact that it doesn't require a password.
SleepyBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 03:24 PM   #14
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by SleepyBob View Post
Their whole site has issues. To check out a book, first you go to "my holds". Then you click on the book you have on hold. Then you have to go to your cart. Then you get to check out your book.

Or you want to check out the first 5 books of "Women's Murder Club" by James Patterson. So you search on James Patterson. You find the book you want and put it on hold. Then you click on "return to browsing", and where does it take you? Back to the list of books you had been browsing? Of course not - it takes you to the Home page. Which you could have gotten to by clicking the "Home" button at the top of the page. So now you have to start your search from scratch.
Ah! You are doing it the hard way. It's so easy. Just get Firefox 7.0.1 and it's trivial. What you do is after you've jumped away from your search results, you right click the forward arrow on the URL bar and select the first search results entry closest to the top of the list and it takes you back where you were. It's just so easy. But of course, you do have to be browser savvy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SleepyBob View Post
And don't get me started on the fact that it doesn't require a password.
It does requite a library card number and sometimes a pin as well.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 04:18 PM   #15
Avwriter
Addict
Avwriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Avwriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Avwriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Avwriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Avwriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Avwriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Avwriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Avwriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Avwriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Avwriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Avwriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS 505, 600, 350, T-1, PW1, Voyage, Oasis2
Quote:
That is all...

It is a free service. If you do not like it, then don't use it.

There is nothing wrong with discussing bugs or other problems, but instead of starting off with a vague accusation, it would have made more sense to just begin by explaining the problem, and leaving the emotion out of it.
Avwriter is offline   Reply With Quote