Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 07-06-2009, 03:45 PM   #31
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crusader View Post
Some people have all the luck.

I guess I'll just have to keep myself busy reading some actual books in the meantime...
i know...

by the way, watch this space, a little bird told me that tomorrow clément will put some videos on line as well ! (then i *really* don't know how you will be able to wait. )
zelda_pinwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2009, 03:46 PM   #32
tompe
Grand Sorcerer
tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Nexus 5, Kindle PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by zelda_pinwheel View Post
it's a restriction from Mobipocket / Amazon, Bookeen can't do anything about it sadly.
Are you sure. What can prevent them from porting FBReader and use that? Since they are not using any MobiPocket programs I do not get what hinders them.
tompe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-06-2009, 03:48 PM   #33
zelda_pinwheel
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tompe View Post
Are you sure. What can prevent them from porting FBReader and use that? Since they are not using any MobiPocket programs I do not get what hinders them.
that i do not know, you would have to ask bookeen directly. i am repeating what i read about the question over here :

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godzil View Post
Like someone say before, Bookeen is the only (with iRex) device that is able to read DRMed PRC, and for this they NEED to use the Mobipocket SDK. To use the Mobipocket SDK, you can't put OTHER DRM support, and they can't use this SDK without the DRM support the Mobipocket contract disallow them. To support ePub/PDF with Adept DRM, Bookeen need to use the Adobe SDK, and the Adobe contract does not allow them to use the SDK WITHOUT the DRM.

So if Bookeen want to support PRC withtout DRM, they will need to develop a new PRC reader, and that the same for ePub without DRM.

Until Mobipocket/Amazon forbid the use of multiple DRM on the same device, from a legal point of view Bookeen will never be able to release a firmware with both DRM, and I doubt they have time to develop something that will double their development time/debugging etc...
Old 07-06-2009, 03:51 PM   #34
tompe
Grand Sorcerer
tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
that i do not know, you would have to ask bookeen directly. i am repeating what i read about the question over here :
Yes, but that post says they cannot use the MobiPocket SDK at the same time as the Adobe SDK. But FBReader does not use the MobiPocket SDK. I suppose there might be other strange contractual reasons but there do not seem to be any obvious reasons.
Old 07-06-2009, 03:52 PM   #35
zelda_pinwheel

Quote:
Yes, but that post says they cannot use the MobiPocket SDK at the same time as the Adobe SDK. But FBReader does not use the MobiPocket SDK. I suppose there might be other strange contractual reasons but there do not seem to be any obvious reasons.
that's a question for bookeen, i really don't know.
Advert
Old 07-06-2009, 03:58 PM   #36
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
The most obvious reason is that Bookeen has their own reader and software. They have a single look and feel. To use FBReader would not allow that as it is a separate program with its own look and feel so they would have to rewrite the manual and the ease of use would be less. Perhaps they could write their own mobi parser but that would be a large task.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2009, 03:59 PM   #37
Crusader
Space Cadet
Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T1, Cybook Opus, Kobo Glo
Quote:
i know...

by the way, watch this space, a little bird told me that tomorrow clément will put some videos on line as well ! (then i *really* don't know how you will be able to wait. )

Guess I'll have to avoid Mobileread then... or try to ignore the urge to watch the videos.
Crusader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2009, 04:00 PM   #38
zelda_pinwheel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crusader View Post

Guess I'll have to avoid Mobileread then... or try to ignore the urge to watch the videos.
yeah. good luck with that.
Old 07-06-2009, 04:16 PM   #39
tompe
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleDe View Post
The most obvious reason is that Bookeen has their own reader and software. They have a single look and feel. To use FBReader would not allow that as it is a separate program with its own look and feel so they would have to rewrite the manual and the ease of use would be less. Perhaps they could write their own mobi parser but that would be a large task.
Of course there are more or less possible obvious reasons why they do not want to do it. My statement was about reason why they cannot do it.

But I thought FBReader could just be plugged in and uses as an reader from the launcher. And most of the look and feel is in the launcher.
Old 07-06-2009, 04:25 PM   #40
rlparker
Ars longa
rlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankind

Device: Kindle K1, K3 wifi
Quote:
(then i *really* don't know how you will be able to wait. )
bwahaha, you have a kinda mean streak dontcha?
rlparker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2009, 04:27 PM   #41
zelda_pinwheel

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlparker View Post
bwahaha, you have a kinda mean streak dontcha?
well, if it makes it any better, i have to wait too.
Old 07-06-2009, 04:43 PM   #42
junkyardwillie
Addict
junkyardwillie will become famous soon enoughjunkyardwillie will become famous soon enoughjunkyardwillie will become famous soon enoughjunkyardwillie will become famous soon enoughjunkyardwillie will become famous soon enoughjunkyardwillie will become famous soon enough

Device: Onyx Note Pro, Kobo H20 and iPad
But FBreader doesnt support DRM Mobipocket right? So even if you put FBreader on there you could get support for MobiPocket but would need to jailbreak your DRM files to view them.

I would still rather they support Adobe DE over Mobipocket, I have devices that support Mobipocket but I need something for Adobe DE and this could make a good choice.
junkyardwillie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2009, 05:03 PM   #43
Hadrien
Feedbooks.com Co-Founder
Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.

Device: Sony PRS-t-1/350/300/500/505/600/700, Nexus S, iPad
The Cybook Opus uses a new version of the Reader SDK: unlike the Sony Reader it can properly display justified text. Too bad that Sony isn't releasing a firmware update...
Hadrien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2009, 05:06 PM   #44
kacir
Wizard
kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 360, before it was Sony Reader, cassiopeia A-20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Godzil View Post
They are in fact 166dpi to be exact. Sony advertise 170dpi, but it's false

Aehm ...
Math was not you favourite subject, was it?

Sony (Kindle 1 and 2, cybook, ...) has 6 inch screen with 800x600 pixels
new Opus has 5 inch screen with 800x600 pixels resolution.

let's do a little bit of math here:
5 inch diagonal 800x600 screen makes classical pythagorian triangle 3,4,5
let's check it:
3^2 + 4^2 = 5^2
9 + 16 = 25

OK. we have established that 5 inch screen has dimensions exactly 3 x 4 inches.

Now, bear with me
800 pixels / 4 inches is ...
TADAAAAAA
200 pixels per inch. *Exactly* 200 pixels per inch.
kacir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2009, 05:08 PM   #45
zelda_pinwheel

Quote:
Originally Posted by kacir View Post

Aehm ...
Math was not you favourite subject, was it?

Sony (Kindle 1 and 2, cybook, ...) has 6 inch screen with 800x600 pixels
new Opus has 5 inch screen with 800x600 pixels resolution.

let's do a little bit of math here:
5 inch diagonal 800x600 screen makes classical pythagorian triangle 3,4,5
let's check it:
3^2 + 4^2 = 5^2
9 + 16 = 25

OK. we have established that 5 inch screen has dimensions exactly 3 x 4 inches.

Now, bear with me
800 pixels / 4 inches is ...
TADAAAAAA
200 pixels per inch. *Exactly* 200 pixels per inch.
i believe godzil was referring to the 6" screen. the 5" screen does indeed have 200ppi.