Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations > Book Clubs

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 12-17-2008, 05:09 PM   #46
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
You missed my last edit that said Little Fuzzy has been seconded.
Little Fuzzy is on the list of official nominated books. I accidentally put it into the 1 nom list too. I will fix that.

BOb
Old 12-17-2008, 05:14 PM   #47
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Since the following were free from Tor and most of us probable have them, how about the following to be nominated....

The Buried Pyramid by Jane Lindskold
SPACEMAN BLUES A Love Song by Brian Francis Slattery
Advert
Old 12-17-2008, 05:27 PM   #48
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
I suggest leaving off all the ones that are not free
Based on BooksOnBoard pricing, Snow Crash is the only one above $10 and even it is apparently list priced the same as the paperback ($15). All the rest seem very reasonably priced to me. I suggest including all of them in the vote, perhaps noting that Snow Crash may be $10-$15 depending on where you buy it ($6.99 for the Kindle).
Old 12-18-2008, 03:10 AM   #49
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
IMHO we should be nominating books because they are classics, not because they are "free".

Jon - do you consider the two TOR books you mentioned to be classic works of SF?
Old 12-18-2008, 10:03 AM   #50
bill_mchale
Wizard
bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch, HPC Evo 4G LTE
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
What does everyone think about this? That will cut the nominated current list down to 2 I believe. Should the MRBC always go with free books? This is your club I'm just a minion. Should we start another thread about this?

BOb
I don't think that it is strictly necessary that the books be free. After all, many of the books that are not available for free as ebooks can be obtained from libraries or borrowed from friends, etc.

--
Bill
Advert
Old 12-18-2008, 10:38 AM   #51
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
IMHO we should be nominating books because they are classics, not because they are "free".
I don't think the MRBC should be limited to "classics". I think contemporary works can/should be included which is why I nominated Steven Jordans book.

I think the whole idea is to introduce people to genres and authors they would not normally read. At least that is my goal in participating.

BOb
Old 12-18-2008, 11:57 AM   #52
Tattncat
Bookworm
Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Tablet, Samsung Galaxy Tab3, Sony PRS700, Sony PRS505
Toss my vote in for two more:
Foundation by Asimov
Time Traders by Andre Norton
Old 12-18-2008, 12:12 PM   #53
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
I don't think the MRBC should be limited to "classics". I think contemporary works can/should be included which is why I nominated Steven Jordans book.

I think the whole idea is to introduce people to genres and authors they would not normally read. At least that is my goal in participating.

BOb
Sorry, Bob, I didn't mean "classics" in any restrictive way - I simply meant books which people considered to be very good.
Old 12-18-2008, 01:20 PM   #54
=X=
Wizard
=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy S, Nook w/CM7
Quote:
What does everyone think about this? That will cut the nominated current list down to 2 I believe. Should the MRBC always go with free books? This is your club I'm just a minion. Should we start another thread about this?

BOb
I'd just rather see a limit, like a $10 cap. Some books are well priced, for instance Steve's Jordan's - Evoguia --which only goes for around $2-$3. It would not make scene to exclude them just because they're not free.

Bob, I've also updated my 2nd post with the links to reviews or author's site just incase folks would like to view more on them. Here are the links...

Mars Girl by Jeff Garrity
Evoguia by Seven Jordan
Neptune Crossing - Jeffery Carver
Halo: The Fall of Reach - by Eric Nylund

=X=

Last edited by =X=; 12-18-2008 at 01:35 PM. Reason: Added links of books I've nominiated
Old 12-18-2008, 01:52 PM   #55
=X=
Wizard
=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy S, Nook w/CM7
I second "Neuromancer by Gibson" choice
Old 12-18-2008, 04:17 PM   #56
Xenophon
curmudgeon
Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, (ex)nook, (ex)PRS-700, (ex)PRS-500
Via an exchange of PMs, Tattncat has agreed to switch his/her nomination from Key out of Time to The Time Traders. With that switch, plus my nomination, we need only one more to get the magic 3.

Xenophon
Old 12-19-2008, 04:08 AM   #57
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

I'll add a "Third" for "Time Traders"!
Old 12-19-2008, 06:45 AM   #58
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
I've been meaning to read this one for a while, so I'll second the nomination for Red Mars by Kim Stanley Robinson.

It's available at fictionwise bundled with its sequel.
http://www.fictionwise.com/ebooks/eBook10588.htm

It's also available at the Kindle and Sony stores
http://www.amazon.com/Red-Mars-and-Green/dp/B000FBFNNI
http://ebookstore.sony.com/ebook/kim...00000000049007

Quote:
Here are single nominated books:

[...]
Red Mars by Kim Stanley Robinson
[...]
Old 12-22-2008, 01:01 AM   #59
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post

Jon - do you consider the two TOR books you mentioned to be classic works of SF?
I won't know if they are classics or not until I read them.
Old 12-22-2008, 01:02 AM   #60
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Where is the link for the voting?
Closed Thread