Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > HanLin eBook

Notices

Old 06-24-2009, 09:15 PM   #1
keng2000
Researcher and Consultant
keng2000 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.keng2000 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.keng2000 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.keng2000 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: MACBOOKPRO17" HP2400TX SONYUX27
Let discuss on new coming DRM

As i know.
all Hanlin based device will be moved to DRM PDF amd DRM EPUB as V5.
It means DRM MOBI support will be gone.
All purchasing must bedone on Windows with ADEPT and for your PC only. (with same 5 shared devices) or the store will made the virtual ADEPT for each member as the amazon did.

Any idea?
keng2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2009, 09:34 PM   #2
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
It is my understanding that this is the standard mobile Adobe Digital Editions, i.e. the same as on the Sony PRS-505 and 700 and (most recently) on the German Cybook Gen3 and the Cool-er.

If so, you can buy from any web browser but you must download from a Windows PC or a Mac. The download computer counts as one of your allowed 6 devices and the Hanlin V5 will be another.

The Sony's don't allow initial registration from a Mac, but the Hanlin's will probably allow this.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-25-2009, 04:06 AM   #3
Lbooker
Addict
Lbooker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lbooker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lbooker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lbooker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lbooker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lbooker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lbooker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lbooker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lbooker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lbooker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lbooker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T1
What matters is that reading the geniuses of centuries past is still free.
If reading the mediocre writers of today becomes more expensive and cumbersome, people will turn to past geniuses more and more, they will become brighter instead of drowning in mediocrity, and they will save money.
Here is what I tell Mobi and Adobe: make my day!
Schopenhauer, the great educator, agrees with me:
http://en.wikisource.org/wiki/On_Authorship
Lbooker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2009, 04:53 AM   #4
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lbooker View Post
What matters is that reading the geniuses of centuries past is still free.
If reading the mediocre writers of today becomes more expensive and cumbersome, people will turn to past geniuses more and more, they will become brighter instead of drowning in mediocrity, and they will save money.
Here is what I tell Mobi and Adobe: make my day!
Schopenhauer, the great educator, agrees with me:
I personally find a lot of those old authors hard to read. Either because of their use of old language or old language structures.

But I'll just keep on buying my books in mobipocket and simply remove the DRM.
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2009, 07:07 AM   #5
Lbooker
Addict
Lbooker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lbooker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lbooker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lbooker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lbooker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lbooker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lbooker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lbooker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lbooker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lbooker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lbooker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetpea View Post
I personally find a lot of those old authors hard to read. Either because of their use of old language or old language structures.

But I'll just keep on buying my books in mobipocket and simply remove the DRM.
Do you want to become intelligent and do you understand it requires a lot of efforts, or are you too weak for that? Why don't you want to be intelligent?
Advert
Old 06-25-2009, 08:13 AM   #6
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

That has nothing to do with intelligence. But I find it very hard, as non-English speaker, to understand words that are no longer in use today. Or to understand sentences that are archaic in their usage. I mostly read for entertainment, to lose myself into the story. And if I have to read everything twice before I understand it, I can't lose myself.

But that doesn't mean I never read classics, far from it. But I will also still buy my mobipocket books (DRM'd or not) and de-DRM those that require it.
Old 06-25-2009, 08:22 AM   #7
Lbooker
Addict

Did you read the link I gave you above?
Old 06-25-2009, 09:15 AM   #8
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lbooker View Post
Did you read the link I gave you above?
I tried to, but I find reading on a 1920 width monitor a big pain in the backside.

But I keep to my statement that I read for my enjoyment. I don't want to study in the little spare time I have.
Old 06-25-2009, 02:55 PM   #9
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
I expect DRM choices to include eReader in the future for this platform. Thus there will be 3 DRM formats, PDF, ePUB, and eReader PDB (I hope they some up with another extension for this device)
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2009, 01:56 AM   #10
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleDe View Post
I expect DRM choices to include eReader in the future for this platform. Thus there will be 3 DRM formats, PDF, ePUB, and eReader PDB (I hope they some up with another extension for this device)
Wait, so we've PDB's that are mobipocket files, PDB's that are Palm DB files (non-books) and PDB's that eReader files?

Let's make one universal ebook format, not war!
Old 06-26-2009, 09:41 AM   #11
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetpea View Post
Wait, so we've PDB's that are mobipocket files, PDB's that are Palm DB files (non-books) and PDB's that eReader files?
The .pdb filename extension is used for several ebook formats because many of them started out on Palm's. MobiPocket uses .prc and now can use .mobi instead. It would be nice if eReader came up with its own unique alternative extension.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2009, 10:51 AM   #12
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by wallcraft View Post
The .pdb filename extension is used for several ebook formats because many of them started out on Palm's. MobiPocket uses .prc and now can use .mobi instead. It would be nice if eReader came up with its own unique alternative extension.
Ok, I wasn't really clear, PDB files can also be read on mobipocket... But not the ereader PDB files...

It would be nice if everybody could agree on one ebook format...
Old 06-26-2009, 02:29 PM   #13
cvkemp
Loving life
cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PaperWhite 5,iPhone 13, IPad, MacBook Air
If your talking DRM ebooks yes I would love to see an agreement on the format. But when it comes to the formats that I can read on my EZreader then I want to be able to use any that is available. I prefer fb2, pdfs that I create just for the reader, and I have come to like epubs that I have created for the reader.
By the way I am using Open ink pot firmware (the latest). The only thing that I see missing for me is the Recently Read.
cvkemp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2009, 03:33 PM   #14
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cvkemp View Post
If your talking DRM ebooks yes I would love to see an agreement on the format. But when it comes to the formats that I can read on my EZreader then I want to be able to use any that is available. I prefer fb2, pdfs that I create just for the reader, and I have come to like epubs that I have created for the reader.
By the way I am using Open ink pot firmware (the latest). The only thing that I see missing for me is the Recently Read.
But if they decided on only one ebook format (let's for argument sake say they'll pick epub), they can also pick one DRM. And it won't matter on what device you're reading it. No more format shifting. And if they implement the DRM smartly (I really like Mobipocket's way of doing it, register up to 4 devices and after 6 monts (I believe it was) you can update the devices), you don't need to de-drm nor format shift.
Old 06-26-2009, 04:08 PM   #15
cvkemp
Loving life
cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PaperWhite 5,iPhone 13, IPad, MacBook Air
I read very few ebooks that I buy. I am a Tech person I read material that is available either in pdf format or on the internet and I creat pdfs or epub or fb2 files that or formated correctly for my ereader. I wish I had time to read novels or SF ect. But I am using the reader to keep up with the information that I have to read. And the reader is much easier on the eyes than computer screens.
cvkemp is offline   Reply With Quote