Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader > Kobo Tablets

Notices

Old 01-10-2015, 10:19 PM   #1
jotajota
jotajota began at the beginning.

Device: kobo arc 10 hd
Kobo Arc Startup Screen & Brightness

Hello.

I use the kobo arc hd at night for reading comics and books.

The brightness was killing me even at the lowest, so im using an android app (nocturno) to add some filter and reduce the brightness.

I have two questions:

1- When turning on the device, the startup screen in white with the kobo logo is at the default brightness, so is extremely unconfortable for me, is there any way to modify that? to put a black screen there? to change it in some way?

2- Is there some contrast app for Kobo, so in order to customize better the brightness you can customize the contrast too?

I wrote kobo but got no reply from them (yet).

Thanks a lot for reading and for any help or comments. Regards.
jotajota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2015, 02:37 PM   #2
burnafterreading
Groupie
burnafterreading ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.burnafterreading ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.burnafterreading ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.burnafterreading ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.burnafterreading ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.burnafterreading ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.burnafterreading ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.burnafterreading ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.burnafterreading ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.burnafterreading ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.burnafterreading ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo, Arc7HD/10HD, smartphones
i held off replying for a few days, but since you've had nothing, here's my thoughts:

1 - yeah, it's bright as all he11. i just point it at the ceiling until it gets to my normal home screen. i suppose if you root it you can modify what it splashes, but i've not gone down that road. or stuff it under the covers until it's on the normal screen.

2 - have you tried reverse / night mode? white text on black background. i use that exclusively, day and night, and find it to be very easy on the eyes. brightness is at 50% during the day, and 0% at night when all house lights are off. obviously this only works for books, not comics.

i haven't tried any extra apps to modify the brightness / color cast / contrast settings, though.

i suppose you could try to score a used Glo for night-time comics reading. i got mine (with sleepcover) for $70 just before Christmas.
burnafterreading is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-13-2015, 03:42 PM   #3
jotajota

Hi burnafterreading,

thx for the reply,

yes, i point the tablet at the ceiling while it loads, but is annoying that startup at high brightness, leaves you blind for a second...

I was looking for some hack, or for some android app that helps me modify
that startup screen.

It seems that im looking for something that doesnt exist yet.

Once the kobo loads the system the brightness app (one similar to LUX AUTO BRIGHTNESS) runs at the start and takes care of the brightness.

My problem is the startup of the kobo arc.

I have already two kobo aura hd for the books and this one is for comics
mags and pdfs.

Thanks for the help and comments!
Old 01-13-2015, 06:38 PM   #4
burnafterreading
Groupie
burnafterreading ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.burnafterreading ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.burnafterreading ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.burnafterreading ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.burnafterreading ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.burnafterreading ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.burnafterreading ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.burnafterreading ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.burnafterreading ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.burnafterreading ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.burnafterreading ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo, Arc7HD/10HD, smartphones
oh, one thing i forgot to add:

i usually don't see the startup screen because i keep my tablets on but asleep and plugged into the charger whenever i'm not using it, so 99% of the time day-or-night when i turn the device on i'm actually just waking it up, so it doesn't do a bright splash screen but just goes to my "desktop" screen. on the rare occasion where the tablet needs a reboot, then i know to expect to be blinded so i act accordingly.
burnafterreading is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2015, 01:37 AM   #5
jotajota

thanks,

anyway, i still HOPE to find some tweak or hack,

the brighness of the kobo arc when turned on is simply unbearable,

surely is something that only matters to a very little % of users....

so sadly is hard to find a fix....
Advert

Tags
bright, bright light, brightness, contrast, kobo arc