Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 05-02-2012, 07:05 PM   #1
Algiedi
Overenthusiastic Noob
Algiedi has learned how to read e-booksAlgiedi has learned how to read e-booksAlgiedi has learned how to read e-booksAlgiedi has learned how to read e-booksAlgiedi has learned how to read e-booksAlgiedi has learned how to read e-booksAlgiedi has learned how to read e-books

Device: Kindle 3
Feedback from left-handed/ambidextrous people

Hello everyone,

My Kindle's screen finally died on me in a rather spectacular manner, and I need another e-ink ebook reader asap.
After reading what feels like a thousand threads, reviews and blog posts about the K4, Kindle Touch, Sony PRS-T1 and Kobo I still have no idea which one is Teh Best.

So out of despair, and instead of banging my head and/or my dead Kindle against a wall (seriously, what else can you even do with a dead Kindle?), I'll be choosing according to a rather specific criteria: how practical are those readers for left handed people?

I love the buttons on both sides on the Kindle, and I'm very attached to the possibility of holding my ereader with either hand. Are touch screens as flexible ?
Algiedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 08:15 PM   #2
FizzyWater
You kids get off my lawn!
FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2 and Libra H2O and half a dozen older models I can't let go of
I have a Sony 650, which has the same basic button placement as the T1. I can read the book single-handed in either the right or left hand. (I'm also a lefty).
FizzyWater is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-03-2012, 04:57 AM   #3
Algiedi
Overenthusiastic Noob
Algiedi has learned how to read e-booksAlgiedi has learned how to read e-booksAlgiedi has learned how to read e-booksAlgiedi has learned how to read e-booksAlgiedi has learned how to read e-booksAlgiedi has learned how to read e-booksAlgiedi has learned how to read e-books

I think I could easily get used to buttons on the bottom as well - might be even more practical than the sides one.

I seem to remember reading that active zones for page turning on touch screens can be user-defined. How does that work, can you tap on both sides for example?

EDIT: after looking at larger pics of the T1, it seems the buttons for page turning are on the left of the buttons-bar-thingy - it doesn't look like you can reach them if you're holding the device with your right hand.
aw

Last edited by Algiedi; 05-03-2012 at 05:03 AM.
Old 05-03-2012, 06:14 AM   #4
Billi
Wizard
Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook, iRex, PB, Onyx
Quote:
Originally Posted by Algiedi View Post
EDIT: after looking at larger pics of the T1, it seems the buttons for page turning are on the left of the buttons-bar-thingy - it doesn't look like you can reach them if you're holding the device with your right hand.
aw
I think this is an area where you shouldn't judge after looking at pictures but try it out in real. Many devices - like the old Cybook Gen3 - look like a typical device for right handers but I had never had any problems reading with it.

If you want to do something good for your own industry, then you should have a look at the Cybook Opus. You can use this reader normally out of the box or turned down by 180 degrees. In one case you have all the buttons on the right side, in the other they are on the left side. But of course, the Opus doesn't have a touch screen, if this criteria is so important for you.
Billi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 06:34 AM   #5
Algiedi
Overenthusiastic Noob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billi View Post
I think this is an area where you shouldn't judge after looking at pictures but try it out in real.
You're quite right - unfortunately the Kobo is the only one I can get my hands on in a shop nearby, and I always read with envy post about people trying out models "IRL."
But I've just made a little T1 paper model to test it out and I can confidently say that my feeble right thumb cannot reach all the way

Quote:
If you want to do something good for your own industry, then you should have a look at the Cybook Opus. You can use this reader normally out of the box or turned down by 180 degrees. In one case you have all the buttons on the right side, in the other they are on the left side. But of course, the Opus doesn't have a touch screen, if this criteria is so important for you.
Touch screen is definitely NOT important - actually I'd avoid touch screen devices if I could since the responsiveness and reliability seem to be kind of an issue but the choices are getting limited).
The Cybook Opus is an interesting alternative (although the advertised "2 weeks autonomy" made me giggle a little) but I'm really looking for ease of use and flexibility, i.e. either buttons on both sides or in the middle.

I might be ready to get a Nook ST on ebay (or wait for an international version) but the pics are ambiguous and I'm not sure whether it sports side buttons or decorative ridges...
Advert
Old 05-03-2012, 10:00 AM   #6
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
I'm left-handed, and find the Kindle Touch to be very easy to use, either one- or two-handed.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 12:31 PM   #7
Algiedi
Overenthusiastic Noob

Quote:
I think this is an area where you shouldn't judge after looking at pictures but try it out in real.
You sir were even more right (righter?) than I thought you were.
I was finally able to put my hands on a Kobo and it's way better than I assumed it would be judging from videos. While the videos made it seem like manipulating the thing was clumsy and laborious, navigation actually flows quite smoothly and is equally practical with both hands.

I thought that only portions of touchscreens were usable for certain functions or something like that.

So it turns out touchscreens are quite nice... And now I have to find another completely arbitrary criteria to choose a reader
Old 05-03-2012, 12:36 PM   #8
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
I thought that only portions of touchscreens were usable for certain functions or something like that.
That's the way it works on the Kindle Touch, yes. The screen is divided into three regions:

1. A narrow strip at the top, which displays the menu bar.
2. A narrow strip down the left side of the screen, which goes back a page.
3. The rest of the screen, which goes forward a page.

It works extremely well.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 06:16 AM   #9
Billi
Wizard
Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook, iRex, PB, Onyx
Quote:
You sir were even more right (righter?) than I thought you were.

What a compliment in a left-handed thread!
Billi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 09:29 AM   #10
ApK
Award-Winning Participant
ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
(seriously, what else can you even do with a dead Kindle?),
Seriously, you can call Amazon and see if they can do something for you on getting it replaced. They are VERY good about helping customers stay in the Kindle fold, warranty or no.

Quote:
I'll be choosing according to a rather specific criteria: how practical are those readers for left handed people?
I'm predominately left handed and an ereader is a no go for me unless it has back and forth page buttons on both sides. I like to shift hands sometimes.
On this point alone, K3 is good, K4 NT looks OK, the Nook STR is excellent.
All touch screen-only readers are a no go for me. I do not like reading on my Fire or my wife's iPod.
I also don't care for the little lower left corner buttons on my Sony PRS-350. Totally impractical for me. My son reads on that one...he's righty and uses the touch screen anyway.

ApK
ApK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 12:48 PM   #11
The Terminator
Retired
The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Optimus One (2.3), Nexus 7 (4.2)
The Kobo Touch can split the page into these regions.

A

1. Touch the middle of the page to open the menu.
2. Touch the left side to turn backwards.
3. Touch the right side to turn forwards.

B

1. Touch the bottom center to bring up the menu.
2. Touch left side (Biggest % of the screen) to turn forwards, this is supposed to be for left handed people.
3. Press the smaller strip on the right to turn backwards.

C

1. Touch the bottom center to bring up the menu.
2. Touch right side (Biggest % of the screen) to turn forwards.
3. Press the smaller strip on the left to turn backwards.
The Terminator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 03:04 PM   #12
Jaden
Evangelist
Jaden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jaden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jaden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jaden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jaden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jaden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jaden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jaden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jaden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jaden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jaden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch
I often switch hands and positions (where/how I hold the reader).

With my Kobo Touch, that works rather well, but sometimes I have to change the settings - which can be a little annoying since it will take 6 steps. But all in all you can easily use the Kobo with either hand, even better if you don't switch positions often.
Jaden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 09:55 AM   #13
LuvReadin
Addict
LuvReadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuvReadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuvReadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuvReadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuvReadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuvReadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuvReadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuvReadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuvReadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuvReadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuvReadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T1 and Cool-ER
Quote:
aw
Depends how big your hands are, possibly. I'm right-handed and I do find it slightly easier to hold the Sony in my left hand. I would have preferred it if the buttons had been placed either side of the home button. However, it's really only a problem if I want to go back, because the forward button is the one closer to the middle so it's fine to use with either hand.
LuvReadin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 10:39 PM   #14
Andrew H.
Grand Master of Flowers
Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Kindle 3 (aka Keyboard), iPhone, iPad 3 (not for reading)
Quote:
What a compliment in a left-handed thread!
Or *was* it?!
Andrew H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 10:42 PM   #15
ApK
Award-Winning Participant
ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew H. View Post
Or *was* it?!
Well, it was a left-handed compliment.

And thank you for the opening, I've been waiting since the thread started to say that.

ApK
ApK is offline   Reply With Quote