Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Sigil

Notices

Old 02-08-2012, 10:32 AM   #1
tecweston
Comic book artist
tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Glowlight, iPad, iPhone
Help removing bold text

Hi everyone. I almost never use Sigil so I know I'm probably doing something wrong but here's my problem.

I downloaded a copy of The Great Gatsby from MobileRead. The problem is that all of the text is in bold font, which makes it unreadable for me. I went into Sigil, selected all the text, and selected "remove formatting" (ctrl-space). This removed the bold, but also removed the indenting of the paragraphs, which I don't want.

(Please note that just hitting "bold" does nothing, or I would have done this. The only way I've found to remove the bold text is to select "remove formatting.")

Now I save the epub, then open it up in Calibre. Everything looks fine, the bold is gone, but the paragraphs are no longer indented.

Now I do an epub-to-epub conversion, selecting "remove spacing between paragraphs" so that I can tell it to indent each paragraph by 1.5 em. When it's done, if I open up the book, the indenting is there but ALL of the text is bold once again.

I can't figure out how to have un-bold text and indented paragraphs simultaneously. Help?
tecweston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 11:33 AM   #2
Keroberos
Zealot
Keroberos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Keroberos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Keroberos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Keroberos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Keroberos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Keroberos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Keroberos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Keroberos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Keroberos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Keroberos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Keroberos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Mini (4GB), Nook Classic wi-fi, iPod Touch (Bluefire Reader)
The bold font may be from something in the css, if you look in code view you can see all the css classes then you can look in the css file to see what's causing it. If you want, post which copy it is and I can take a look at it.
Keroberos is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-08-2012, 11:38 AM   #3
tecweston
Comic book artist
tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keroberos View Post
The bold font may be from something in the css, if you look in code view you can see all the css classes then you can look in the css file to see what's causing it. If you want, post which copy it is and I can take a look at it.
Thanks, it's this one: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=51953
Old 02-08-2012, 12:18 PM   #4
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
I assume you're converting the mobi to epub with calibre and then editing with sigil?

It seems you have your work cut out for you. Unfortunately there are <span class="bold> spans around each (and every) individual paragraph in the main body of the text. You could go into the CSS file and change:
Code:
.bold {
    font-weight: bold
    }
to
Code:
.bold {
    font-weight: normal
    }
But looking at the structure of the book, that will also get rid of stuff that should be bolded.

It looks like there's only two standard body paragraph classes (one for indented, and one for unindented), so maybe there's some regex that would help you remove the bold spans from just those paragraphs.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 12:22 PM   #5
tecweston
Comic book artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
I assume you're converting the mobi to epub with calibre and then editing with sigil?
Yes. I couldn't find an epub version on here, just a mobi and another file format that also has bold text.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
It seems you have your work cut out for you. Unfortunately there are <span class="bold> spans around each (and every) individual paragraph in the main body of the text. You could go into the CSS file and change:
Code:
.bold {
    font-weight: bold
    }
to
Code:
.bold {
    font-weight: normal
    }
But looking at the structure of the book, that will also get rid of stuff that should be bolded.

It looks like there's only two standard body paragraph classes (one for indented, and one for unindented), so maybe there's some regex that would help you remove the bold spans from just those paragraphs.
Thank you for your help. I decided to search for another public domain copy and found an Australian one that is perfect.
Advert
Old 02-08-2012, 12:33 PM   #6
alansplace
Grand Sorcerer
alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles K-2, K-KB, PW 1 & 2, Voyage, Fire 2, 5 & HD 8, Surface 3, iPad
Cool Help removing bold text

Quote:
Originally Posted by tecweston View Post
Yes. I couldn't find an epub version on here, just a mobi and another file format that also has bold text.

Thank you for your help. I decided to search for another public domain copy and found an Australian one that is perfect.
Here's one i just fixed after downloding from your link.
Attached Files
File Type: epub The Great Gatsby - F. Scott Fitzgerald,.epub (175.6 KB, 414 views)
alansplace is offline   Reply With Quote