Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Self-Promotions by Authors and Publishers

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 01-31-2011, 04:46 PM   #1
Eastlondonboy
Banned
Eastlondonboy doesn't litterEastlondonboy doesn't litter

Device: kindle
The Messiah of Green Street

Free Kindle Nation Shorts - February 19, 2011

An Excerpt from
THE MESSIAH

OF GREEN STREET

A Novel by Shuab Parvez

By Stephen Windwalker

Editor, Kindle Nation Daily
©Kindle Nation Daily 2011

Anyone who takes a look at author Shuab Parvez' "About the Author" text in the right sidebar will probably join me in concluding that, at least when talking about himself, he is a man of a few words. It may be a risky posture for an novelist, but it worked for J.D. Salinger and for many others.

For it to work, of course, the proof must be in the pudding when it comes to the writer's fiction. And as you will see when you read this weekend's generous 6,000-word Free Kindle Nation Shorts excerpt from his novel The Messiah of Green Street, Mr. Parvez has every reason to be confident in his silence.

He has written a remarkable novel that resonates with the picaresque wonders of Gunter Grass' The Tin Drum, the enchanting magical realism of Gabriel Garcia Marquez' One Hundred Years of Solitude, and the seemingly effortless balance of humanity and humor that animate the pages of a Zadie Smith or Salman Rushdie. The morning I began reading it I had to stop myself after just a couple of pages so I could bring my Kindle into the bedroom and begin reading aloud to Betty from the beginning.

Betty and I don't always share the same taste in fiction, but we agreed about Shuab Parvez' gifts as a novelist, and before the morning was over The Messiah of Green Street was on both our Kindles. He grabbed us both from the beginning and diverted our attention from the unlikeliest elements of his story with the dazzling details of the most commonplace.

Click here to read the free excerpt from

Here's the set-up:

The Messiah of Green Street tells the story of Sahil, born to Bangladeshi immigrants Karim and Anjana in the deprived melting pot of Upton Park, London. This strange-looking prodigal of a boy - who can allegedly speak Arabic and Hebrew from birth - is greeted as a miracle and 'a child of the world', but the superstitious adulation of his community slowly ebbs and sours as the realities of life as a disenfranchised and dispossessed second generation immigrant take over.

The story of Sahil and his family, of their friends, relatives and neighbours is mordantly satirical, deeply poignant and very funny. As Sahil grows into adulthood and becomes more and more disillusioned with his lot, his reluctant attempts to connect with his roots, buried under the weight of slavery, colonialism and racial hatred, take him in unexpected directions on the way to his own particular truth.

Click here to purchase the entire book from Amazon for just $2.99

THE MESSIAH
OF GREEN STREET

by Shuab Parvez
Kindle Edition

List Price: $2.99
Buy Now

Last edited by Eastlondonboy; 02-22-2011 at 07:05 PM.
Old 01-31-2011, 05:18 PM   #2
elcreative
Wizard
elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS505, 600, 350, 650, Nexus 7, Note III, iPad 4 etc
And this is news... why? Should be in Author Promotion thread surely at https://www.mobileread.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=226
Old 01-31-2011, 10:17 PM   #3
caleb72
Indie Advocate
caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
This looks familiar - has this been advertised before? Either way, I've put this on my wish list because I remember being interested in the story.

For some reason I read it and think - Midnight's Children.

Regards
Caleb
Old 02-05-2011, 03:44 PM   #4
Eastlondonboy
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by caleb72 View Post
This looks familiar - has this been advertised before? Either way, I've put this on my wish list because I remember being interested in the story.

For some reason I read it and think - Midnight's Children.

Regards
Caleb
Thanks, Caleb. Midnight's Children is an obvious influence, but I'd like to think Messiah takes things into a new modern direction. I've also read Tin Drum by Gunther Grass which was actually Salman Rushdie's influence for Midnight's Children...
Old 02-18-2011, 07:04 PM   #5
Eastlondonboy
Banned

Hello everyone. If anyone is interested, here is my Kindle Author Interview:-

http://kindle-author.blogspot.com/20...ab-parvez.html
Old 02-20-2011, 05:53 AM   #6
Eastlondonboy
Banned

Featured on Kindle Nation

http://campaign.r20.constantcontact....-qJJivINx3k%3D
Old 02-22-2011, 07:04 PM   #7
Eastlondonboy
Banned

Free Kindle Nation Shorts - February 19, 2011

An Excerpt from
THE MESSIAH

OF GREEN STREET

A Novel by Shuab Parvez

By Stephen Windwalker

Editor, Kindle Nation Daily
©Kindle Nation Daily 2011

Anyone who takes a look at author Shuab Parvez' "About the Author" text in the right sidebar will probably join me in concluding that, at least when talking about himself, he is a man of a few words. It may be a risky posture for an novelist, but it worked for J.D. Salinger and for many others.

For it to work, of course, the proof must be in the pudding when it comes to the writer's fiction. And as you will see when you read this weekend's generous 6,000-word Free Kindle Nation Shorts excerpt from his novel The Messiah of Green Street, Mr. Parvez has every reason to be confident in his silence.

He has written a remarkable novel that resonates with the picaresque wonders of Gunter Grass' The Tin Drum, the enchanting magical realism of Gabriel Garcia Marquez' One Hundred Years of Solitude, and the seemingly effortless balance of humanity and humor that animate the pages of a Zadie Smith or Salman Rushdie. The morning I began reading it I had to stop myself after just a couple of pages so I could bring my Kindle into the bedroom and begin reading aloud to Betty from the beginning.

Betty and I don't always share the same taste in fiction, but we agreed about Shuab Parvez' gifts as a novelist, and before the morning was over The Messiah of Green Street was on both our Kindles. He grabbed us both from the beginning and diverted our attention from the unlikeliest elements of his story with the dazzling details of the most commonplace.

Click here to read the free excerpt from

Here's the set-up:

The Messiah of Green Street tells the story of Sahil, born to Bangladeshi immigrants Karim and Anjana in the deprived melting pot of Upton Park, London. This strange-looking prodigal of a boy - who can allegedly speak Arabic and Hebrew from birth - is greeted as a miracle and 'a child of the world', but the superstitious adulation of his community slowly ebbs and sours as the realities of life as a disenfranchised and dispossessed second generation immigrant take over.

The story of Sahil and his family, of their friends, relatives and neighbours is mordantly satirical, deeply poignant and very funny. As Sahil grows into adulthood and becomes more and more disillusioned with his lot, his reluctant attempts to connect with his roots, buried under the weight of slavery, colonialism and racial hatred, take him in unexpected directions on the way to his own particular truth.

Click here to purchase the entire book from Amazon for just $2.99

THE MESSIAH

OF GREEN STREET

by Shuab Parvez
Kindle Edition

List Price: $2.99
Buy Now

UK CUSTOMERS: Click on the title below to download

THE MESSIAH OF GREEN STREET
Old 03-11-2011, 03:21 PM   #8
Eastlondonboy
Banned