Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Conversion

Notices

Old 05-19-2012, 03:59 PM   #1
MichaelHyatt
MichaelHyatt began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Fire
Question Tweek Book without Losing Mobi6

I have a mobi file that I need to tweak. The “Go to Beginning” reference is screwed up. It’s pointing to the back of the book.

However, when I attempt to tweak the book, I get a warning that the “file contains both KF8 and older Mobi6 data. Tweaking it will remove the Mobi6 data, which means the will not be usable on older Kindles.”

I went ahead and exploded it, made my tweak, and then rebuilt the book. Sure enough, I can read the book on the Kindle Fire but not the Kindle 3.

Is there a workaround for this? Or is there a simpler way to fix the Go to Beginning problem other than editing the .opf file?
MichaelHyatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2012, 11:31 PM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Tweak the book, then reconvert it to MOBI. Tweaking of MOBI 6 is not supported.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 07:12 AM   #3
MichaelHyatt

So do I have to have the source files to tweak for both MOBI 6 and KF8?
Old 05-20-2012, 07:15 AM   #4
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
No, you can use the kf8 mobi as the conversion source.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 02:16 PM   #5
MichaelHyatt

But can I save it back so that it works on all Kindles?

Tags
kf8, mobi6, start