Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices

Notices

Old 11-20-2011, 10:27 PM   #1
jonathanmoeller
jonathanmoeller began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle, Samsung Galaxy Player, Toshiba Thrive
Samsung Galaxy Player 4.0

I picked one up recently, and makes for a surprisingly decent LED reader. The display is quite crisp, and easy to read in most forms of light short of direct sunlight. I considered getting the five-inch model, but it's something of a beast.

It's basically the Android equivalent of the iPod Touch - a Samsung Android phone with the phone bit removed. I've wanted a handheld Android device that wasn't a smartphone for quite some time now, so I'm pleased - the ebook reader is almost a bonus at this point.
jonathanmoeller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2011, 11:14 PM   #2
RainingLemur
Spork Connoisseur
RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Color
How good is the battery life from what you've experienced and under what level of usage?
RainingLemur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 12:24 AM   #3
jonathanmoeller

So far, approximately the same as a current-gen iPod Touch. Operating with the wireless off, of course, enhances battery life considerably.

But it has a big, big advantage over the iPod Touch - the battery is easily removable. The procedure takes all of fifteen seconds.
Old 11-21-2011, 12:53 PM   #4
Atilla
Addict
Atilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kindle 3 3G, Kobo Touch, Playbook, Kobo Clara HD
The 5" model has twice the battery life. If size is not an issue I would get the bigger one.

http://www.samsung.com/ca/consumer/t...=specification

Edit: the battery for the 5.0 is not user replaceable (officially)

Last edited by Atilla; 11-21-2011 at 01:43 PM.
Atilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 11:37 PM   #5
jonathanmoeller

Quote:
Edit: the battery for the 5.0 is not user replaceable (officially)
Yes. That is why I opted for the 4.0 over the 5.0 - I am willing to accept a lower battery life I can replace the battery easily myself.
Old 11-22-2011, 02:29 AM   #6
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Have you played with the GPS yet? and if so, how well does it function?

I'm strongly leaning toward replacing my iPod touch 4 with the Galaxy Player 4.0, but only if I can use it for casual geocaching.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 10:28 AM   #7
tjdean256
Zealot
tjdean256 is on a distinguished road

Device: irex dr1000s; Pocket edge
I have used the GPS function. Like most GPS units in smartphones, it has a little trouble picking up the signal at first, but after it latches on to the signal, it performs well. The maps app works well with a wifi connection. If you change locations dramatically, you will need a wifi connection to get the local maps.

td

Sorry, I meant without a wifi connection. I went from Baton Rouge to Kona, HI and followed a tour route just fine with the Map App even up in the koa forests. The Navigator has to have a wifi connection.

Last edited by tjdean256; 11-28-2011 at 10:12 AM. Reason: typo
tjdean256 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2011, 11:44 AM   #8
jonathanmoeller

Quote:
Have you played with the GPS yet? and if so, how well does it function?
I've had good results with the GPS, but (obviously) only while I'm within range of a wifi signal. So I don't think it can serve on long road trips.
Old 11-26-2011, 02:57 PM   #9
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonathanmoeller View Post
I've had good results with the GPS, but (obviously) only while I'm within range of a wifi signal. So I don't think it can serve on long road trips.
Thanks; but it's not supposed to need wifi. It's supposed to be a standalone GPS just like car and handheld GPS units.

If it turns out that wifi is needed, then the device is useless for me and I'll send it back.
Old 11-26-2011, 03:14 PM   #10
Atilla
Addict
Atilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
Thanks; but it's not supposed to need wifi. It's supposed to be a standalone GPS just like car and handheld GPS units.

If it turns out that wifi is needed, then the device is useless for me and I'll send it back.
It won't need Wi-Fi if you use a gps program which uses downloadable maps.
Old 11-26-2011, 04:00 PM   #11
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atilla View Post
It won't need Wi-Fi if you use a gps program which uses downloadable maps.
Good. GPS is the most important reason I'm switching from my iPod touch 4. I want to use it for geocaching and sky maps. Other reasons for switching include: FM radio, mSD card slot, 3MP camera, auto focusing camera, and louder speakers.
Old 11-26-2011, 04:46 PM   #12
Atilla
Addict

Tubemonkey, here is a link for an offline gps application.

You can try it for 1 week before you pay for it.

https://market.android.com/details?i...gic.aura&hl=en
Old 11-26-2011, 05:47 PM   #13
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atilla View Post
Tubemonkey, here is a link for an offline gps application.

You can try it for 1 week before you pay for it.

https://market.android.com/details?i...gic.aura&hl=en
Thanks, I appreciate it. Bookmarked the app. When I get the Galaxy, I'll give it a shot.
Old 12-08-2011, 08:22 AM   #14
CyGuy
Avid Reader
CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 902, Galaxy Tab 2 7.0, ASUS TF700, and Cybook Gen III
I bought the Galaxy Player 5.0 but I am returning it. It has two issues: When playing any MP4 file there is no audio, and it will not download apps from the Android Market place. When creating the account for the device on the market place there is a constant message that says "there is no phone associated with this account" and you can't get past it. It is not a phone it is a tablet. It is going back today.

Last edited by CyGuy; 12-08-2011 at 09:21 AM.
CyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 10:04 AM   #15
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyGuy View Post
I bought the Galaxy Player 5.0 but I am returning it. It has two issues: When playing any MP4 file there is no audio, and it will not download apps from the Android Market place. When creating the account for the device on the market place there is a constant message that says "there is no phone associated with this account" and you can't get past it. It is not a phone it is a tablet. It is going back today.
My Galaxy 5.0 is recognized and has no problems downloading apps from either Android Market or Appstore for Android.

I had no problems linking either of my Galaxy Players to my already established accounts at both app stores. Not sure why you're having that problem.