Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 08-11-2009, 01:02 PM   #1
MickeyC
Grand Sorcerer
MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 6 plus, Sony T1, iPad 3
Apple eBook Reader?

According to Fox News, it may be on the way. It's called the Touch and you can read the details here. http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,538919,00.html
MickeyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2009, 01:19 PM   #2
igorsk
Wizard
igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-500/505/700, Kindle, Cybook Gen3, Words Gear
Quote:
It could also compete with the Amazon.com's Kindle as an e-reader, with Apple selling digital books, newspapers and magazines through its iTunes store.
I guess then it's a good thing that FairUse DRM gets broken quite regularly.
igorsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-11-2009, 01:50 PM   #3
Abecedary
Exwyzeeologist
Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

Device: :PRS-505::iPod touch:
Another article that offers no solid evidence of anything--just more speculation from analysts (who for some reason never seem to get called out when they're wrong).
Abecedary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2009, 02:57 PM   #4
sircastor
Reader
sircastor got an A in P-Chem.sircastor got an A in P-Chem.sircastor got an A in P-Chem.sircastor got an A in P-Chem.sircastor got an A in P-Chem.sircastor got an A in P-Chem.sircastor got an A in P-Chem.sircastor got an A in P-Chem.sircastor got an A in P-Chem.sircastor got an A in P-Chem.sircastor got an A in P-Chem.

Device: PRS-505
Rumors about this thing have been floating around for a few years now. While it's possible, I don't think it's very likely The tablet market is already quite saturated and I don't think Apple has anything they want to particularly add to it.

It doesn't make any sense for Apple to do this. They're already in portable media markets, and they're doing exceptionally well. I expect if Apple made a product like this, it would almost immediately fall by the wayside and become a niche-product much like the Apple TV.

I think this rumor will continue to float about for quite some time, but I don't expect to ever see a tablet from Apple.
sircastor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2009, 03:08 PM   #5
dmaul1114
Wizard
dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle 1
Still just rumor, but you can be pretty much 100% sure that a tablet device is coming from Apple at some point. I disagree that the tablet market is saturated--it's just a small, under hyped niche--and most tablets are basically laptops with touch screens.

So I definitely see a market for a sexy, 10" or so Apple tablet device that can surf the net, watch movies, play music, do e-mail, access the kindle store (and/or other eBook stores), allow marking up of papers/books with a stylus and so forth.

So I have no doubt that one is coming. What's up in the air is the features and price.
dmaul1114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-11-2009, 04:17 PM   #6
kwjones
Groupie
kwjones once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.kwjones once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.kwjones once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.kwjones once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.kwjones once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.kwjones once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.kwjones once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.kwjones once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.kwjones once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.kwjones once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.kwjones once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Sony PRS-505; Motorola Droid
http://www.theiphoneblog.com/2009/07...tablet-launch/
kwjones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2009, 05:34 PM   #7
Kali Yuga
Professional Contrarian
Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4 No Touchie
Man, this rumor is so old, it's got whiskers on it.

IMO it's nothing more than the slobbery fantasies of a handful of vocal geeks. No one else would want an iPhone too big for your pocket -- or a netbook without a real keyboard.
Kali Yuga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2009, 09:37 PM   #8
dmaul1114
Wizard
dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle 1
It would really be a different type of device. But lack of keyboard could be minimized if it had really good hand writing recognition.

Personally, I've not wanted an iPhone or other smartphone as the screen is too small and the data plans too high. And I've not wanted a netbook as I'd rather just use a laptop for my computing. Netbooks keyboards and screens are just too small for using for more than brief spurts. And since I always have a work laptop, I just don't have a need for a Netbook.

But I'd have an interest in a tablet that I could read on, mark up PDFs and student papers with a stylus just like writing on paper, watch online videos and movies, surf the net etc. etc.
dmaul1114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2009, 09:57 PM   #9
Sonist
Apeist
Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Generic virtual reality story-experiential device
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmaul1114 View Post
.... But I'd have an interest in a tablet that I could read on, mark up PDFs and student papers with a stylus just like writing on paper, watch online videos and movies, surf the net etc. etc.
Me too.

As far as Kali Yuga's comment about a "real keyboard," that's what many said about smartphones, until the iPhone appeared. I personally would readily trade the Kindle DX "real" keyboard, for a good touchscreen one, and more screen real estate.

I guess the tablet idea is, that you don't write papers, or War and Peace, on it, but use them for other things, for which onscreen keyboards are better suited.
Sonist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2009, 07:00 PM   #10
chaznsc
Connoisseur
chaznsc began at the beginning.

Device: Mine
Maybe this is relevant?

http://voices.allthingsd.com/2009081...w/?mod=ATD_rss
chaznsc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2009, 10:16 PM   #11
carlobee
Fanatic
carlobee has learned how to read e-bookscarlobee has learned how to read e-bookscarlobee has learned how to read e-bookscarlobee has learned how to read e-bookscarlobee has learned how to read e-bookscarlobee has learned how to read e-bookscarlobee has learned how to read e-bookscarlobee has learned how to read e-books

Device: The new iPad
hmmm. this is pretty interesting for a rumor. fact remains that apple, i believe, sticks to its being one of the leader of innovation so this is probably true... and if it is, then we'd have to wait for next year's WWDC. maybe Steve Jobs would present and introduce this one. as of now, i'd still stick with my iPhone.

carlobee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2009, 12:40 AM   #12
fugazied
Wizard
fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: iPod Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abecedary View Post
Another article that offers no solid evidence of anything--just more speculation from analysts (who for some reason never seem to get called out when they're wrong).
Well actually on this occasion there are large orders by Apple for 9.5" touchscreens, combined with a prominent tech journalist who claims to have a source who has actually used one.

Apparently it will be a large version of the ipod touch in terms of functionality, maybe with a camera, maybe not. The anticipated release date was September, so we will find out soon. Apple has also been meeting with music/tv/movie publishers about potential new ways of packaging media. So we might see media packs where buying an album on this device gives you music videos and extra media as well.

It will be aimed at portable internet/portable computing/portable television as well as ebooks, so Apple won't market directly at us probably.
fugazied is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2009, 04:55 PM   #13
nekokami
fruminous edugeek
nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, eBw 1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmaul1114 View Post
But I'd have an interest in a tablet that I could read on, mark up PDFs and student papers with a stylus just like writing on paper, watch online videos and movies, surf the net etc. etc.
I still want an InfoPad. Rumors of an Apple tablet don't impress me much (though the info about Apple buying screens is interesting). I'm not convinced a tablet is what I want. They're heavy, and the batteries don't last. But if someone would do this right-- and Apple might reasonably be the company to do it-- I'd have to start rummaging around the cushions of the couch for change.
nekokami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2009, 05:01 PM   #14
Hellmark
Wizard
Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nokia N800, PRS-505, Nook STR Glowlight, Kindle 3
nekokami, on my tabletPC. It is going on 4 years old, and I still get 3-4 hours out of the battery.
Hellmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2009, 05:54 PM   #15
CTH
Zealot
CTH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CTH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CTH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CTH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CTH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CTH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CTH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CTH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CTH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CTH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CTH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I cant see the real use of a 10 inch tablet.. perhaps to take notes on and for reading but notetaking-hardware is nothing you want to spend 600 $ or so on (my guesstimare what the cheapest price for a apple tablet would be) and reading, well we all know there are better alternative to a LCD screen to read on right (the rumor about apple buying screens was about LCD screens).

However I can see that apple launches a tablet that would be their answer to the neetbooks. Small and light and because it is something different than the rest you can take a higher (more apple like) price for it. It would prob look better than the normal neetbook and have some nice touches to it but would prob be to hard to type on to be a good product. On the other hand, apple has managed to sell some questionble products before

I wouldnt be supprised to see a apple tablet soon but I dont think it will be a dedicated ebook reader.
CTH is offline   Reply With Quote