Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Announcements

Notices

Old 03-14-2009, 09:44 AM   #1
Patricia
Reader
Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500, PRS-505, Asus EEEpc 4G
New Forum Feature: Download a thread

Alex has created a new feature for the forum. Now we can download threads as text.

To download a thread, click on the "Thread Tools" box and select "Download this Thread".

So now we can easily save useful instructions, and the forum sagas!

Incidentally, it is also possible to download private messages. On your private messages page, near the bottom, click on "Download all messages as XML/CSW/text".
Patricia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2009, 12:45 PM   #2
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
thanks for the announcement patricia ! this is a great feature which will be really useful for a LOT of things. first on the list is the sagas.
zelda_pinwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-15-2009, 10:10 AM   #3
GeoffC
Chocolate Grasshopper ...
GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Muse HD , Cybook Gen3 , Pocketbook 302 (Black) , Nexus 10: wife has PW
mmmmmmmmm !!!!!
GeoffC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2009, 04:59 PM   #4
Abelturd
Little Fuzzy Soldier
Abelturd shares his or her toysAbelturd shares his or her toysAbelturd shares his or her toysAbelturd shares his or her toysAbelturd shares his or her toysAbelturd shares his or her toysAbelturd shares his or her toysAbelturd shares his or her toysAbelturd shares his or her toysAbelturd shares his or her toysAbelturd shares his or her toys

Device: cybook gen3, htc hero, ipaq 214
This is a nice feature.
Though as most of MR readers have some sort of e-ink device, would it be possible to make it more e-ink reader friendly? Like have the whole thread in printed version on ONE page with simple formatting, so one could save it as a html file and convert it to mobi or some other ebook format?
Or maybe a calibre recipe could take care of this?

The forum is really beatiful and highly functional, I was always wondering on what content managment system it was built on? Or is it as a whole Alex's own design?
Abelturd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2009, 05:01 PM   #5
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
Super cool!
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-15-2009, 06:06 PM   #6
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged
Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count here.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abelturd View Post
This is a nice feature.
Though as most of MR readers have some sort of e-ink device, would it be possible to make it more e-ink reader friendly?
If your device has connectivity you can use www.mobileread.mobi.

Quote:
Like have the whole thread in printed version on ONE page with simple formatting, so one could save it as a html file and convert it to mobi or some other ebook format?
Good idea. It was suggested before that we could add a "Download this thread as Mobi" feature.

Quote:
The forum is really beatiful and highly functional, I was always wondering on what content managment system it was built on?
The underlying base software is vBulletin.
Alexander Turcic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2009, 06:47 PM   #7
electristan
newbie reader
electristan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.electristan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.electristan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.electristan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.electristan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.electristan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.electristan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.electristan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.electristan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.electristan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.electristan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: reMarkable, Boox T68, Kobo Mini, Nook STR, Sony PRS-505
Such a great feature.
electristan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2009, 12:49 AM   #8
nrapallo
GuteBook/Mobi2IMP Creator
nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: REB1200 EBW1150 Device: T1 NSTG iLiad_v2 NC Device: Asus_TF Next1 WPDN
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexander Turcic View Post
Good idea. It was suggested before that we could add a "Download this thread as Mobi" feature.
Any chance of that replacing/augmenting this new download tool?

I really like the "Show Printable Version" thread tool's output, but it's missing all the graphics like avatars, smilies, picture attachments, inline images, ... and cannot easily be converted into ebook (.mobi) form without 'spidering' that output.

I don't mind converting it from .mobi to my reader's format once you can achieve this.

And besides .txt is soooo passe!
nrapallo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2009, 02:26 AM   #9
Donnageddon
Now you lishen here...
Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650. Kobo Touch, Kindle Fire
Megacool!
Donnageddon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2009, 05:38 PM   #10
Abelturd
Little Fuzzy Soldier
Abelturd shares his or her toysAbelturd shares his or her toysAbelturd shares his or her toysAbelturd shares his or her toysAbelturd shares his or her toysAbelturd shares his or her toysAbelturd shares his or her toysAbelturd shares his or her toysAbelturd shares his or her toysAbelturd shares his or her toysAbelturd shares his or her toys

Thanks Alex! You're the best.
Old 06-14-2009, 03:01 PM   #11
Abelturd
Little Fuzzy Soldier

I've been trying to download a whole thread, but I found out that there are certain limitations. The option "download a thread" saves the whole thread as unformatted text, but what's worse the quotes are missing from posts. The "show printable version" works better, as it keeps the formatting, but it splits the whole thread to more pages. I've been trying to find a way around this, and I think that I've got something.
From the Thread Tools you choose show printable version. There's a nifty Firefox addon called PageZipper, after you have installed it, you turn it on, it should join all the pages of the thread automatically. Then you save the page as complete WebPage.
I converted it to a custom pdf (though it should not be a prob to put it to mobi too), loaded it on my cybook and was quite satisfied with the outcome -- the quotes are there, the structure and formatting was retained; the emoticons don't show as pictures though, but as words in colons.
I dunno if this will be helpful to anyone but me, I hope so. Maybe there's a simpler way how to do it.
Old 06-14-2009, 04:39 PM   #12
Patricia
Reader
Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500, PRS-505, Asus EEEpc 4G
Thanks, Abelturd. This is useful to know.
Patricia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2009, 02:07 AM   #13
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged
Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abelturd View Post
I've been trying to download a whole thread, but I found out that there are certain limitations. The option "download a thread" saves the whole thread as unformatted text, but what's worse the quotes are missing from posts.
Hi Abelturd,

That it's unformatted is in fact a feature, since we want the output to be compatible with as many as possible readers. Regarding the missing quotes - we will look into it if there is a way to enable quotes in the output.
Old 06-15-2009, 02:25 AM   #14
Abelturd
Little Fuzzy Soldier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexander Turcic View Post
Hi Abelturd,

That it's unformatted is in fact a feature, since we want the output to be compatible with as many as possible readers. Regarding the missing quotes - we will look into it if there is a way to enable quotes in the output.
Hello Alex,

thank you for your response.
Please, please don't put it to unformatted text. By most people I know, the plain text is generally regarded as the lowest form to intermediate information and the least valuable. When I put a thread as text on my liseuse, I can't make the head and tail of it.
I think html would work a lot better for everyone, it's easily convertible to any format and it allows you to keep the structure of the thread and the emphasis of text (bold, italics).
Old 06-15-2009, 06:09 AM   #15
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged

Well, I guess I am not considered most people then, since most of my everyday computer tasks involve text/console-only.