Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 04-09-2013, 07:13 PM   #91
rem736
purpose priority passion
rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony prs-350, b&n ngp, rM2, kindle scribe, boox poke5
i would like to replace every book i own with an ebook version. it's just the convenience of being able to carry everything you own with you. imagine how much less you have to haul on moving day(s).

and i paid for classics while in college. if i had known that ebooks existed in the 90's when i went to college, i would not have paid for each and every book in my literature courses. i'm sure that's changed now, right? are college students still buying paper versions of william shakespeare plays? or charles dickens novels?
rem736 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 02:50 AM   #92
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by rem736 View Post
if i had known that ebooks existed in the 90's when i went to college, i would not have paid for each and every book in my literature courses. i'm sure that's changed now, right? are college students still buying paper versions of william shakespeare plays? or charles dickens novels?
Could you show some consideration for your fellow posters and follow the conventions of using mixed case for your messages, please? It would make them a lot easier to read!

As far as your question, goes, I can imagine using ebooks for Dickens (provided you use a reliable source - some of the Dickens ebooks out there are missing large pieces of text, and are otherwise full of errors. But Shakespeare? No. Most modern readers need editions of Shakespeare with notes and annotations; a "raw" text is not that much use.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-10-2013, 11:28 AM   #93
John Carroll
kookoo
John Carroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Carroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Carroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Carroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Carroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Carroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Carroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Carroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Carroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Carroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Carroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Nook, LG4
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Oh yes they are. Check again.
I didn't see them on Amazon, B&N or Kobo. I googled for an official website to buy them from and didn't find one.

The Pern series is in ebook form, but I just can't find the Harper Hall Trilogy in ebook.
John Carroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 12:01 PM   #94
Apache
Readaholic
Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Surface Pro 6 / Galaxy Tab A 8"
I would like to see Dennis Schmidt's Kensho Series in eBooks. I have read them many times in paper, but it would be nice to have them in an electronic format.
http://www.fantasticfiction.co.uk/s/dennis-schmidt/
Apache
Apache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 12:02 PM   #95
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Carroll View Post
I didn't see them on Amazon, B&N or Kobo. I googled for an official website to buy them from and didn't find one.

The Pern series is in ebook form, but I just can't find the Harper Hall Trilogy in ebook.
They are out in the UK.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-10-2013, 12:51 PM   #96
John Carroll
kookoo
John Carroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Carroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Carroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Carroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Carroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Carroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Carroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Carroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Carroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Carroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Carroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnemicOak View Post
They are out in the UK.
Crap. I don't know if my wife will let me move there . . .
Old 04-10-2013, 04:19 PM   #97
Apache
Readaholic
Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Surface Pro 6 / Galaxy Tab A 8"
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Carroll View Post
Crap. I don't know if my wife will let me move there . . .
Open an Amazon UK account. That is what I did.
Apache
Apache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 04:57 PM   #98
John Carroll
kookoo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apache View Post
Open an Amazon UK account. That is what I did.
Apache
Interesting. I'll have to give that a try.
Old 04-10-2013, 06:10 PM   #99
mr_nihilism
Always been the caretaker
mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aura H2O, PW2
The Further Adventures of the Joker: All New Tales of the Clown

I have fond memories of it as a youngster.
mr_nihilism is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 02:16 PM   #100
Gazella
Wizard
Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis
I would very much like an ebook edition of Speaks the Nightbird by Robert R. McCammon.
Gazella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 04:26 PM   #101
MickiTee
Guru
MickiTee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickiTee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickiTee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickiTee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickiTee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickiTee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickiTee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickiTee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickiTee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickiTee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickiTee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, Pocketbook TL3, TL4, TL5
Quote:
Originally Posted by MickiTee View Post
Jane Dentinger's Jocelyn O'Roarke novels would be at the top of my list.
Sometimes wishes come true. All six Jocelyn O'Roarke novels will be available in epub and Kindle formats on 30th July.
MickiTee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 04:30 PM   #102
AlbertaCowboy
Guru
AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-350, PRS-650, iPhone 6, NVIDIA Shield K1
I'd love to have "The Old Man and the Boy" by Robert Ruark as an ebook.
Now that I'm a daddy, it's one of the many special books from my own childhood that I'd like to read to my daughter.
AlbertaCowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 07:43 PM   #103
asieg33
asieg33 began at the beginning.

Device: nook simple
The Honey Badger.

I've always considered Robert Ruark one of the most underrated of American novelists. During one dramatic move I gave away my third library.
The book of his I'd most like to reread is "the honey badger". I know I can find a used copy but with the cost of shipping it would have to be far better than I remember it being (which was very good indeed).
It was clearly biographical with the protagonist being diagnosed with cancer and reconciling with his favorite ex-wife.
two months after reading it I read Ruark's obituary.
Risking offending all other members I do consider Ruark as being less on unique style and more on content than Hemingway. (for shame, for shame)
asieg33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 07:46 PM   #104
asieg33
asieg33 began at the beginning.

Device: nook simple
Pardon the double post, but

I had not noticed Alberta Cowboy's pick of Ruark. And I remember the Cowboy's pick very well. My third or fourth Ruark pick.

thank you Cowboy, I feel at home.
asieg33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 09:47 PM   #105
NickyWithNook
Guru
NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire, Kindle Paperwhite (Don't use Nook anymore)
My favorite books from my childhood, a series I'd love to read again and I'd love my kids to read, is the Mushroom Planet series.

http://www.amazon.com/The-Wonderful-.../dp/0316125407

I might have said Daphne DuMaurier's books, but they've recently (finally!) come out as e-books! Yay!

Last edited by NickyWithNook; 01-05-2014 at 09:49 PM.
NickyWithNook is offline   Reply With Quote