Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Announcements

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 10-31-2012, 09:04 PM   #151
lifer109
lifer109 began at the beginning.

Device: kindle keyboard and now Nook HD+
I like the forum for Calibre probably the best. Tips here are great, but I also like Kindle forum as that is my main e-reader. Can't believe you've been around 10 yrs, congrats!
Hope for another 20!
Old 10-31-2012, 09:04 PM   #152
timjthomas
timjthomas began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3
Happy Birthday MR!!! My favorite forums are Kindle and Calibre!!
Advert
Old 11-01-2012, 03:44 AM   #153
sabredog
Geographically Restricted
sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T3, Kindle Voyage, iPad Air2, Nexus7v2
A very happy birthday to Mobileread, which I find a most civilised forum, more so than others I frequent.

I found Mobileread quite by accident, whilst browing for help with a file formatting issue. At that time I used my PC and my HP Ipaq PDA for reading ebooks and had never heard of an e-ink ereader. Twelve months later, armed by great help and advice, I was the proud owner of a Sony PRS-300, purchased new on eBay as Sony ereaders at that time were not available domestically in Australia. Very few ereaders were at that time.

Although I do not have favourite section of Mobileread, being a multiple Sony ereader owner, I do frequent the Sony forum a great deal. Plenty of discussion, advice and information can be found there. I do think that the forum may well be improved by adding specific child forums for technical issues, product reviews etc.
Old 11-01-2012, 04:37 AM   #154
dstb
dstb can extract oil from cheesedstb can extract oil from cheesedstb can extract oil from cheesedstb can extract oil from cheesedstb can extract oil from cheesedstb can extract oil from cheesedstb can extract oil from cheesedstb can extract oil from cheese

Device: Pocketbook Pro 902
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
There is an RSS feed for each section. ...
BOb
Thank you very much! It works! Shame on me I did not knew it! If I will win the prize I'll give my actual reader, Sony PRS-T1 to charity.

Though, I am mainly using Chrome and in Firefox it's much easier to discover the feeds in a web page. I don't think there are specific feed icons in every thread page(s). Or I did not saw them...

Thank you once again!
Old 11-01-2012, 06:38 AM   #155
gjergji
gjergji began at the beginning.

Device: none
Happy Birthday MobileRead.

My favourite sections are the E-Book Readers.
Especially the Kobo Reader and Onyx Boox.

Thank you!

Last edited by gjergji; 11-01-2012 at 06:53 AM.
Advert
Old 11-01-2012, 08:18 AM   #156
Moinchen
Moinchen knows the square root of minus one.Moinchen knows the square root of minus one.Moinchen knows the square root of minus one.Moinchen knows the square root of minus one.Moinchen knows the square root of minus one.Moinchen knows the square root of minus one.Moinchen knows the square root of minus one.Moinchen knows the square root of minus one.Moinchen knows the square root of minus one.Moinchen knows the square root of minus one.Moinchen knows the square root of minus one.

Device: none
Happy anniversary to all of us!

I like the ereader onyx section best, because there are so many helpful and able people contributing there. What I miss? A download section - I cannot download the new firmware for my reader because there is too much traffic for the corresponding account on dropbox... And on the start page of mobileread, the link to the forums could be more prominent. I always search like crazy until I find the small link at the top of the page.
Old 11-01-2012, 09:11 AM   #157
Hellmark
Wizard
Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nokia N800, PRS-505, Nook STR Glowlight, Kindle 3
For me the General section is where it is at. I get some news, some BS, and a bunch of fun. It is like those parties your creepy neighbor throws where "anything goes" but without the feelings of shame and violation.

I really don't know how to improve things. I mean now with tapatalk, even the awesomeness is in my pocket.

Although it would be cool to have tagging in the deals section, kinda like the fleamarket has. That way they can be marked as expired or even for where they are for. Would be cool to filter out kindle stuff.
Old 11-01-2012, 12:03 PM   #158
Schauberger
Biotechnologist
Schauberger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Schauberger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Schauberger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Schauberger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Schauberger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Schauberger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Schauberger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Schauberger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Schauberger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Schauberger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Schauberger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 1st Gen Kindle; Sony PRS-T1
Congratulations MR!

I enjoy surfing the Sony Reader Dev Corner sub-section, monitoring the latest developments in Sony Reader firmware.

I am quite content with the current set up of the forums, I don't feel the need for any improvements.
Old 11-01-2012, 01:29 PM   #159
Robmonster
Wizard!
Robmonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robmonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robmonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robmonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robmonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robmonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robmonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robmonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robmonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robmonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robmonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite, Voyage + Oasis2
This is the section I spend the most time in:-

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=140

It's the only e-reader I own! As for making it better, I was going to suggest that there be separate sections for the Fire, but then noticed there already was!

R
Old 11-01-2012, 03:19 PM   #160
runtmms
Connoisseur
runtmms ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.runtmms ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.runtmms ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.runtmms ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.runtmms ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.runtmms ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.runtmms ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.runtmms ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.runtmms ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.runtmms ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.runtmms ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi, Kindle Fire HD 8.9, Google Nexus 4
Mobile read helped me make my first e-reader purchase, and I couldn't be happier. I'm a total convert. The information available here is invaluable. My favorite section is the Kindle forums. If I have a question, I can usually find the answer.

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=140

I don't know how it could be better. Good people make a good forum, and Mobileread has attracted good people.

-Merlynn
Old 11-01-2012, 04:25 PM   #161
sufue
lost in my e-reader...
sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Android phone, Sony T1, Nook ST Glowlight, Galaxy Tab 7 Plus
Hard to believe - Happy 10th!

My favorite forum is the Deals, Freebies, and Resources, which has given me a TBR list of almost unimaginable length!

It's closely followed, however, by the Forum Français, on which I only lurk, but from which I have found a number of links to ebooks and sites which let me practice reading French. And I also, of course, get to practice just by reading the posts there!

My only suggestion would be to have a separate part of the "Deals" forum for hardware-related deals and leave the main part of the forum to handle just deals for ebooks and other content.

And, of course, I still am not thrilled with the affiliate thread rules, but I guess that's a done deal and lost cause...
Old 11-01-2012, 04:28 PM   #162
Ginwen
Addict
Ginwen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ginwen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ginwen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ginwen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ginwen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ginwen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ginwen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ginwen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ginwen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ginwen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ginwen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch/IPad
Congrats and thanks for all the help I've gotten here.

I visit the Deals, Freebies, and Resources every time I'm here. Even though I probably have enough books on my various devices to read for the rest of my life, I hate when I miss a really good deal (or a free book) just because I didn't happen by deals and freebies that day.

No improvements needed, it's great as is.
Old 11-01-2012, 06:13 PM   #163
catsknit
Addict
catsknit is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.catsknit is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.catsknit is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.catsknit is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.catsknit is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.catsknit is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.catsknit is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.catsknit is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.catsknit is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.catsknit is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.catsknit is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.

Device: Kobo Glo HD, Samsung tablet, Kobo Libra, InkPad 3 Pro
I have probably spent the most time in the Sony forum, since I have a PRS-650 (bought after gleaning a lot of info from mobileread 2 yrs ago), and Calibre, which is so invaluable in cataloging our books. But my favorite part is actually all the wonderful ebooks that members have spent time digitizing and uploading here. I have found many great copies of favorites, old and new, which far surpass the quality I've found at other free sites, as well as some of the paid classics!

Karen
Old 11-01-2012, 07:42 PM   #164
linnx88
Enthusiast
linnx88 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Congratulations on 10 years. I could hardly imagine all that we have now back in 2002. I've since given away my hundreds of paper books and gone completely digital.

My favorite forum is Amazon Kindle, as that is the reader I have. I think it could be improved with some aggressive pre-emptive moderation to curb threadjacking and trolling, particularly in emotionally-charged threads.

I've also greatly benefited from the deals section (love the Kindle coupon thread) and the free ebook forum, where skilled amateurs have put together public domain works of exceptional quality, growing my collection in the process. It is also a major bonus to have Kovid Goyal posting here to respond to any questions about Calibre.
Old 11-01-2012, 09:18 PM   #165
Boston
Fanatic
Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.

Device: Kindle, Kobo Aura H20, Pixel XL
Happy Birthday MR!

While I make a habit of checking the News section, I think my current favorite section right now is the Deals Freebies and Resources section because I love the surprise of finding a bargain Sometimes I wish the forum was split between books and devices/accessories because I think the latter gets lost with all the book threads.

On the other hand, I don't have the time I once did to spend time browsing a lot of different forums. Admittedly, where I spend my time can vary depending on my current situation/passion. What I love is that MR has both the breadth and depth to be my single stop resource for all things e-book/reader related.

So thank you for this wonderful site.
Closed Thread