Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 10-23-2012, 08:59 AM   #151
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamNJ77 View Post
sorry didn't mean to upset anyone. As I searched the threads removing ads was one of the main features on launchers and talked about quiet freely in other threads. I didn't think a jailbreaking thread would have anything against it since both are extremely frowned upon by Amazon, and jailbreaking goes against the customer agreement I accepted with Amazon also, yet here we all are talking about it
But Amazon did not compensate (pay) you to not jailbreak it.

They did compensate (pay) you (in the form of a reduced purchase price) to let them display ads on your machine.

So what you are looking for is not a purely technical decision. It is a question of how you can renege on your part of a business decision.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 09:27 AM   #152
ixtab
(offline)
ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, K4, K5, KPW, KPW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
But Amazon did not compensate (pay) you to not jailbreak it.

They did compensate (pay) you (in the form of a reduced purchase price) to let them display ads on your machine.

So what you are looking for is not a purely technical decision. It is a question of how you can renege on your part of a business decision.
Please, don't start this discussion all over again. Everything that has to be said has been said before. Everybody does what is morally acceptable to them.
ixtab is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-23-2012, 09:34 AM   #153
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ixtab View Post
Please, don't start this discussion all over again. Everything that has to be said has been said before. Everybody does what is morally acceptable to them.
A discussion similar to previous ones, but with a difference this time.
The post which I replied to (and quoted) made the claim that the two activities where the same.
I posted how they differed as a matter of fact, not as a matter of morals or ethics.
I feel that I am within my rights to post such a distinction as I see it.
Old 10-23-2012, 10:35 AM   #154
twobob
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°){ʇlnɐɟ ƃǝs}Týr
twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: uti gratia usura (Yao ying da ying; Mo ying da yieng)
Device: PW-WIFI|K5-3G+WIFI| K4|K3-3G|DXG|K2| Rooted Nook Touch
Hi @Niluje

Knowing what we know now about the B011 touches system_diags file.

(the single char patch I had to make to my binary to prevent /usr/local/* being deleted every boot into DIAGS...) referenced here: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...&postcount=113

RE: [file referenced in DIAGS startup script as ../opt/factory/system_diags IIRC]
would you consider a binary patch for those devices to be within the purview of this hacks modifications.... (with backup?)

it is USBnetworking related. I thought.

Or would it be a separate hack? Or more properly rolled into something else?

Thanks mate. I really was an arse ache finding it and from what I remember I am not the only B011 international Touch device that fails the Diags/dropbear test OOTB IIRC.

Last edited by twobob; 10-23-2012 at 11:49 AM. Reason: clear. hilights
twobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 10:55 AM   #155
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
@twobob: Yeah, building a slightly tweaked installer that installs USBNet to the *diags* partition for those of us with the nasty ~5.1 diags was always part of the plan (the fact that it doesn't really rely on/put stuff in /usr/local, and is already somewhat resilient to updates messing with it helps ^^) .

I haven't actually done anything yet, but I am thinking about it .

Last edited by NiLuJe; 10-23-2012 at 10:57 AM.
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-23-2012, 11:18 AM   #156
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiLuJe View Post
@twobob: Yeah, building a slightly tweaked installer that installs USBNet to the *diags* partition for those of us with the nasty ~5.1 diags was always part of the plan (the fact that it doesn't really rely on/put stuff in /usr/local, and is already somewhat resilient to updates messing with it helps ^^) .

I haven't actually done anything yet, but I am thinking about it .
Another thought -
/var/local is common to both 'main' and 'diags' and allows executables.

On the 'downside' there is a lot of posts about blindly coping zeros to that partition to 'clear' it. Which of course would not do the sshd daemon any good at all.
Old 10-23-2012, 11:30 AM   #157
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

@knc1: I tend to stay away from /var/local (as much as possible, for some stuff it's unavoidable [fontconfig really doesn't like the userstore, for example]) because it still has the potential of soft-bricking the device if it gets full...

And in this specific case, there's a non-negligible amount of data involved (a couple of MB spread around a few binaries).
Old 10-23-2012, 11:44 AM   #158
eureka
but forgot what it's like
eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by twobob View Post
Hi @Niluje

Knowing what we know now about the B011 touches system_diags file.

(the single char patch I had to make to my binary to prevent /usr/local/* being deleted every boot into DIAGS...) referenced here: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...&postcount=113

RE: [file referenced in DIAGS startup script as ../opt/factory/system_diags IIRC]
would you consider a binary patch for those devices to be within the purview of this hacks modifications.... (with backup?)

it is USBnetworking related. I thought.

Or would it be a separate hack? Or more properly rolled into something else?

Thanks mate. I really was an arse ache finding it and form what I remember I am not the only B011 international Touch device that fails the Diags/dropbear test OOTB IIRC.
Hey, I'd thought that with chattr -R +i /usr/local/ problem will be solved, isn't it? chattr is avaliable as /bin/chattr on main partition, so it should be enough to mount diag, install dropbear/sshd there and perform that command for /usr/local on diags (in process of installing USBNetworking hack).

Last edited by eureka; 10-23-2012 at 12:09 PM. Reason: add link to knc1's original suggestion of using chattr
eureka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 11:49 AM   #159
NiLuJe
BLAM!

@eureka: Does it?

Code:
A file with the `i' attribute cannot be modified: it cannot be deleted or renamed, no link can be created to this file and no data can be written to the file.  Only the superuser or a process possessing the CAP_LINUX_IMMUTABLE  capability can set or clear this attribute.
diags runs as root, too, no?

(I've never used xattr at all, so I'm trusting my interpretation of the manpage here, didn't check at all what actually happens on the Kindle ).

That said, in my/USBNet case, the point is moot: I don't store anything in /usr/local (but it's nonetheless good to know if this actually works ).

EDIT: I can't read >_<". '[...] can set or clear this attribute' (meaning the perm/cap refers to manipulating the xattr, not the file itself, so yup, should work). /me needs more coffee.

Last edited by NiLuJe; 10-23-2012 at 11:53 AM.
Old 10-23-2012, 11:52 AM   #160
twobob
twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eureka View Post
Hey, I'd thought that with chattr -R +i /usr/local/ problem will be solved, isn't it? chattr is avaliable as /bin/chattr on main partition, so it should be enough to mount diag, install dropbear/sshd there and perform that command for /usr/local on diags (in process of installing USBNetworking hack).
yes this is the case chattr is indeed available. as you say perhaps a better solution. I'm happy with one less "fail" but it is a negligible difference to the end user.

: ) good thoughts.
Old 10-23-2012, 12:06 PM   #161
eureka
but forgot what it's like
eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
That said, in my/USBNet case, the point is moot: I don't store anything in /usr/local (but it's nonetheless good to know if this actually works ).
IIRC, enabling of USBNet from diags menu (I mean, through diags interface on KT screen) relies on presence of dropbear (and a bunch of related symlinks) in /usr/local/bin/. So setting /usr/local/ immutable will be a good deed.
eureka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 12:20 PM   #162
NiLuJe
BLAM!

@eureka: Yep. The plan was to completely bypass that, and use something 'new' (by tweaking the init script). But playing with xattr works, too .
Old 10-23-2012, 12:32 PM   #163
twobob

Quote:
@eureka: Does it?

Code:
A file with the `i' attribute cannot be modified: it cannot be deleted or renamed, no link can be created to this file and no data can be written to the file.  Only the superuser or a process possessing the CAP_LINUX_IMMUTABLE  capability can set or clear this attribute.
diags runs as root, too, no?

(I've never used xattr at all, so I'm trusting my interpretation of the manpage here, didn't check at all what actually happens on the Kindle ).

EDIT: I can't read >_<". '[...] can set or clear this attribute' (meaning the perm/cap refers to manipulating the xattr, not the file itself, so yup, should work). . /me needs more coffee.
I checked this just the other day. seems to lockout access just fine.

my only worry is the interactive way it fails. I thought it said something like
"Really delete?" which worried me that it may cause a hang if scripted.

but is that just gives "NOISY error" >2 each DIAGS boot then that would be fine

(error noted here https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...&postcount=161) Worth bringing it up anyway I hope as a failed DIAGS startup script might be a bit horrible.

: )

Last edited by twobob; 10-23-2012 at 12:37 PM.
Old 10-23-2012, 01:34 PM   #164
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
Originally Posted by twobob View Post
I checked this just the other day. seems to lockout access just fine.

my only worry is the interactive way it fails. I thought it said something like
"Really delete?" which worried me that it may cause a hang if scripted.

but is that just gives "NOISY error" >2 each DIAGS boot then that would be fine

(error noted here https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...&postcount=161) Worth bringing it up anyway I hope as a failed DIAGS startup script might be a bit horrible.

: )
Check your alias list, you probably have rm aliased to 'rm=rm -i'
That is the usual source of the "really delete this?" message.

Setting '-i' on a directory may not give you the expected results.
I suppose it depends on your expectations though.

Setting '-i' on an executable file that you do not want deleted, now that does what is expected (shows even root the middle finger).

@NiLuJe: These are not actually xattr (which are name:value pairs), these are extended permissions.
http://linux.die.net/man/2/listxattr

Although this page (which lists file permissions) has the word "attributes" in the chattr description.
http://linux.die.net/Linux-CLI/file-permissions.html

The "key" to sorting out what is what here -
"chattr" works on file systems even if the kernel does not have support for xattr optioned for that type of file system.
Old 10-23-2012, 01:57 PM   #165
NiLuJe
BLAM!

@knc1: Ah, thanks for the clarification .

Because, yup, as I've said, on my box:
Code:
zgrep XATTR /proc/config.gz
# CONFIG_EXT2_FS_XATTR is not set
# CONFIG_EXT3_FS_XATTR is not set
# CONFIG_EXT4_FS_XATTR is not set
CONFIG_TMPFS_XATTR=y
Meaning I'm really not used to these things .

Tags
5.1.0, 5.2.0, jailbreak, kindle touch hacks, paperwhite, touch