Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 07-29-2011, 07:32 AM   #1
Arrghus
Zealot
Arrghus , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Arrghus , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Arrghus , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Arrghus , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Arrghus , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Arrghus , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Arrghus , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Arrghus , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Arrghus , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Arrghus , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Arrghus , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Device: Kindle PW2; Nexus 5X
The Mighty Bright TravelFlex: Dreadful build quality (pretty much DOA)

So, I ordered myself a Lightwedge Verso Clip

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Verso-Clip-R.../dp/B003FZA1O2

and a Mighty Bright TravelFlex light.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Mighty-Brigh...1938686&sr=8-2

The first arrived early, and I pleased to say that so far I'm reasonably impressed (£17.99 is still a lot to pay for a light!). I was slightly disappointed with the length of the gooseneck, but I was more impressed with the build quality of the light itself. (It seems to be fitted with some kind of diffuser too.)

I was disappointed that it couldn't clip onto my reader and case together, but I am able to clip it onto the folded back area of my cover (a Tuff-Luv Multi), and this works quite well. It clips onto the device naked perfectly.

As for the Mighty Bright... Well, first impressions were not good. As soon as I went to move the light via the gooseneck (which is LOOOOONG), the light fell apart. (I'll try to post a picture later.)

There are two bits of plastic which (I suppose should) slot together. I can sort of get them to clip into each other (after fiddling with the position of the wires no dangling about), but as soon as I go to turn the the direction of the light it falls apart again. Also, the paint job on the gooseneck is rubbing off already.

All this is a shame as the light itself seems great. I wanted to try both the Verso and TravelFlex, but thanks to the shoddy build quality of the latter, I'll only be sticking with the former.

As I said, I'll try to post a picture - and maybe someone can advised me on how to put the two fiddly bits of plastic back together. Right now I have some wires dangling from a gooseneck!

P.S. I should say that my device is a PRS-350 (hard to get lights that fit), and my case/cover is this:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Tuff-Luv-Mul.../dp/B00494B59I

P.P.S. I've also noticed that only one side of the clip of the TravelFlex has padding (it's nice padding, but its only one on one side).

Last edited by Arrghus; 07-29-2011 at 07:36 AM.
Arrghus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011, 08:04 AM   #2
lestatar
LB's lolz Mutt Minion
lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle3, GalaxyTab, BB Bold9700, BB 8300, Sony Clie, Palm Vx, Palm III
^ Hmmm, sorry you had bad experience with the MightyBright. I would think that you simply got a lemon.

Just to be fair, I have been using my own exact same MightyBright for months with zero problems, and certainly not even close to the build issues with the gooseneck you describe. I love this light - the battery/clip portion slips perfectly into the spine of my K3 cover, the light it outputs is very clean and white and the diffuser spreads the light well across my entire K3 screen with no glare.

For what I paid [around 12USD] I think it is a steal and I love the fact that a single AAA battery lasts me like a month of nighttime reading [30-60 mins daily].

Send it back to Amazon for an exchange?
lestatar is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-29-2011, 01:12 PM   #3
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
I've got the Verso and like it a lot, but I've been tempted by the Mighty Bright because the batteries are cheap.
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011, 03:00 PM   #4
elizilla
Addict
elizilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elizilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elizilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elizilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elizilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elizilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elizilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elizilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elizilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elizilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elizilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Elipsa, Kobo Aura One, Sony PRS 650, Sony PRS 350
I have that same Mighty Bright light and not only has it not fallen apart, it did yeoman's duty as a flashlight when I was camping a couple weeks ago and couldn't find my flashlight. It doesn't seem any the worse for wear after being stuffed into crevasses in my camping gear for a week.
elizilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011, 03:56 PM   #5
OneandonlyDoc
Fearless Writer
OneandonlyDoc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OneandonlyDoc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OneandonlyDoc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OneandonlyDoc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OneandonlyDoc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OneandonlyDoc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OneandonlyDoc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OneandonlyDoc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OneandonlyDoc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OneandonlyDoc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OneandonlyDoc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Wifi
I've got a Verso and I use it a lot--I like the fact that the LED is blue-lit rather than yellow, since the blue seems to be easier on my eyes.
OneandonlyDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert