Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 06-04-2011, 09:56 PM   #1
gstephen70
gstephen70 doesn't littergstephen70 doesn't litter

Device: PRS-600
My new 950 arrived this morning. Yippie!

Like a child on Christmas morning, I eagerly unwrapped my new toy. A few impressions. A bit taller than the 600, but not uncomfortable in my hand. Same build quality as the 600. All the buttons are the same. Would have liked Kindle-like page turn buttons along the side, but I am used to the buttons where they are so it is no big deal. The display is much improved. Seems clearer, whiter, and offers better contrast. The home page layout is a nice touch, as are the book covers.

The added height allows for an additional 1 3/8" of type. That's 30% more useable space. This means fewer page turns. We can also set the font to XS. Not something I see myself doing, but I would imagine it may be useful with some PDF files. The expanded selection of dictionaries will be helpful.

You will need to buy a AC charger though. I thought a generic mini USB wall charger would work, but no. Looks like the charger from my old Blackberry Bold would have worked. Looks like a mini USB plug, only smaller with rounded edges. And no, the iPhone wall plug adapter doesn't put out enough current.

And since any post is better with pictures, here are a few.

Last edited by gstephen70; 06-04-2011 at 10:01 PM.
gstephen70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2011, 10:19 PM   #2
SeaBookGuy
Can one read too much?
SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 3, Sony 350 and 650
I thought the 950 (unlike the 350 and 650) comes with an AC adapter included?
SeaBookGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-04-2011, 10:38 PM   #3
pidgeon92
Wizard
pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2, Kindle Voyage, Kindle DXG, Boox M90, Kobo Aura HD
No, no AC adapter on the 950. I charge mine on my iMac. The adapter is micro USB. Same as on the Kindle and Nook, so I use them interchangeably.

OK, I take it back... I do think my 950 came with an adapter. However, I do always charge it on my iMac.

Last edited by pidgeon92; 06-04-2011 at 10:43 PM.
pidgeon92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2011, 11:09 PM   #4
vxf
Guru
vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS 350, 900, 950; Kindles (ALL of them!); Kobo Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by pidgeon92 View Post
No, no AC adapter on the 950. I charge mine on my iMac. The adapter is micro USB. Same as on the Kindle and Nook, so I use them interchangeably.

OK, I take it back... I do think my 950 came with an adapter. However, I do always charge it on my iMac.
I am fairly certain mine did not come with a charger. But I have not needed one so far - despite having the device since October. Unlike the 900, which periodically would require a wall-charge (go figure...).
vxf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2011, 11:15 PM   #5
RajS
Enthusiast
RajS has become one with the cosmosRajS has become one with the cosmosRajS has become one with the cosmosRajS has become one with the cosmosRajS has become one with the cosmosRajS has become one with the cosmosRajS has become one with the cosmosRajS has become one with the cosmosRajS has become one with the cosmosRajS has become one with the cosmosRajS has become one with the cosmos

Device: PRS-950
Definitely, categorically, absolutely, certainly comes with an ac adapter in the box. The specs on the Sony Website for some bizarre reason omit that fact - making it look like an even less appealing proposition $$wise - but it definitely does and it says it does on the back of the box.

The adapter's quite good too - charges the 950 fully in a couple of hours AND you can use it at the same time as well.

Cheers.
RajS is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-05-2011, 12:47 AM   #6
anabolina
Groupie
anabolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anabolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anabolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anabolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anabolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anabolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anabolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anabolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anabolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anabolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anabolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Current: tablet, kindle paperwhite, onyx boox t68. Past: Sony, nook
Congrats on the new device Gstephen70 :-) Nice comparison pics. I'm sure you will spend many enjoyable hours the 950. I'm getting antsy waiting for Tuesday when mine should arrive at BB.

The 950 uses the same connector as the 350, right? I know with my 350, some microsd chargers will work and others will not. My Samsung phone charger worked, but the Archos 5 one didn't so if you need a charger, you may want to see if anyone in the house has a Samsung phone with a mirco-usb charger.
anabolina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2011, 09:57 AM   #7
gstephen70

anabolina, thanks for the advice. Will do.

On another note, having spent more time with it, the buttons seem to be made of a lower quality plastic. For some reason, the 950 buttons have this hollow sound when depressed. My 600 never had that. Sounds like they skipped the step of applying the sound dampener on the 950. Maybe to save money and weight. Side by side the 600 feels sturdier.

Maybe Sony is trying to save money. Maybe I won't sell my 600 after all.
Old 06-05-2011, 04:39 PM   #8
graycyn
Wizard
graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Kindle Oasis 2, Sony PRS-T2
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaBookGuy View Post
I thought the 950 (unlike the 350 and 650) comes with an AC adapter included?
My 950 (Best Buy clearance) came with an adapter!

Anyway, congrats on the new reader! I just adore the longer 7" screen!
graycyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 07:47 AM   #9
mrmls
Enthusiast
mrmls has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Sony PRS 505, 600, 950
My reader also came with an adapter. It was written on the box that it contains one.
mrmls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 06:04 PM   #10
gstephen70

No worries on the charger. Dug threw one of my junk drawers to find the old Blackberry charger. Works fine. Best Buy wanted $29.99. I asked the clerk if he knew how many E-Books I could buy for that much money. He admitted he did not. Wasn't a big reader. Oh my, I feel sorry for this planet in the years to come.

Anyway, NYT looks great on the 950. Just ordered the Earhart case while I was at the BN store. I had gone thinking there was some sort of sale, which there wasn't. Oh well.
Old 06-06-2011, 11:44 PM   #11
ScalyFreak
Sith Wannabe
ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy Note 4, Kobo Aura H2O, Kindle Fire HD, Aluratek Libre
My 950 came with a charger too, but I use the charger I got with my Droid 2 phone most of the time and it works just as well. Or the USB port on my laptop. Or my PSP charger, or really any other mini-USB charger seems to work just fine with it.

I use the browser and the store a lot, and the wifi eats battery like no one's business.
ScalyFreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 03:46 PM   #12
anabolina
Groupie
anabolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anabolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anabolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anabolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anabolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anabolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anabolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anabolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anabolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anabolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anabolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Current: tablet, kindle paperwhite, onyx boox t68. Past: Sony, nook
I just picked up my 950 from BB and it does comes with an adapter in the box. It's in the bottom of the box under the part that flips out on which the 950 resided. There should be a usb cable and the weird adapter thing. You plug the usb cable into the 950 and the other end int the charger in order to charge the device so it doesn't have a dedicated charger that connects the device to the wall in one piece. There are 2 pieces.
anabolina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011, 03:41 PM   #13
cu81
cu81 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austencu81 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austencu81 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austencu81 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austencu81 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austencu81 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austencu81 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austencu81 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austencu81 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austencu81 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austencu81 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austen

Device: Sony Reader
I have a spare 950 AC adapter if you want it, gstephen70. Just PM me your address.
cu81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011, 03:55 PM   #14
Poppaea
Lucifer's Bat
Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by cu81 View Post
I have a spare 950 AC adapter if you want it, gstephen70. Just PM me your address.
Now that's a sweet first post!!

Welcome here, friend and have some K.!
Poppaea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011, 04:50 PM   #15
Pomtroll
Guru
Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 350, Sony T1, Kindle Touch, Kindle PW1
And welcome to the board cu81. That was a nice gesture.
Pomtroll is offline   Reply With Quote