Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 09-18-2010, 10:56 AM   #1
bmatt
Enthusiast
bmatt began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-650
Anyone switching/ed from a Nook to a new Reader?

I am just curious to get the impressions of anyone switching form a Nook to a Sony Reader device, preferably one of the newer ones, though I guess it doesn't matter really. I am seriously looking at the PRS-650 but I cannot convince myself to go for it yet. All of the features seem to be great and what I would want in an eReader device, the new Pearl screen as well. The only thing that somewhat bothers me is the fact that there is no connectivity. I am always around computers, though, and side loading shouldn't be a big deal. I also am kind of cheap in general so I would likely look for deals and buy from the cheapest I could find, I believe there are ways to convert B&N and Kindle to Sony as well? How do these conversions go generally? Anyone really miss the connectivity factor of old device they have had?
bmatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2010, 11:06 AM   #2
java24
java24 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.java24 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.java24 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.java24 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Sony PRS-350
Can't speak to the nook but I coverted some kindle books and put them on my prs-350 and they look perfect.
java24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-18-2010, 11:18 AM   #3
jaxx6166
Wizard
jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 350, iPad, PW
Sony ePub -> B/N ePub

B/N decided to go with a different DRM Scheme on the Nook than just about every other ePub mfr out there. So you can pretty much only read the BN ePub on Kobo and the Nook. Correct me if I'm wrong.
jaxx6166 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2010, 02:18 PM   #4
bmatt
Enthusiast

Well I called a somewhat local Best Buy, about 28 miles away, and they told me they had one PRS-350 in stock and then told me they'd hold it for me. I went up there and they handed me a PRS-300 with no sight of 350 anywhere. The 350 feature set would be fine for me, I don't have a ton of books and the capacity now would be more than sufficient for me, most likely. Also audio books I don't bother with now, though I may try some at some point, my phone could probably handle it though. I think the 350 could probably fit in my pocket as well, which could be nice. The only thing, after seeing a Kindle 3, Nook and the Sony's in close proximity is the 5" does look kind of small. Since all the main players are 6" I am conerned that the formatting could be a nuisance on the 5" occasionally, especially if there are any illustrations in a book I happen to be reading, something like Under the Dome's map or Lord of the Rings map, which seemed even a bit of a stretch on the Nook screen when I saw it. With zoom it may be ok. Any feedback from heavy users of the 5" eReaders on this?
Old 09-18-2010, 04:12 PM   #5
bmatt
Enthusiast

Well I decided extreme portability wasn't at the top of my list and readability/screen size was, plus the extra features of the 650 could come in handy, and it should be pretty portable itself. I called Sony Style to ask about tax, since there is no store in my state, and about estimated availability of the 650, they told me that if I ordered today it should ship by next Thursday, or on next Thursday, and they would upgrade me to expedied shipping (2 day I guess). So I ordered it with the black cover with light. However I got my invoice in my email after I got off the phone and it charged me shipping, called back and they said it'd refund after shipping, we'll see... Hopefully it'll be worth it!
Advert