Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 02-12-2010, 07:27 PM   #1
daven11
daven11 began at the beginning.

Device: kindle
Creating a URL to open another ebook on a kindle

Hi all,

please forgive if this is a FAQ - I couldn't seem to find an answer anywhere.

What I'm trying to do is create a .mobi book that contains a link that when clicked will open another .mobi book (or .azw book). I've create an .html file with the <A> tag in it converted it to a mobi using a hacked version of html2mobi and then copied it to my kindle, the link is hilighted some times but clicking on it doesn't do much. (I hacked the html2mobi because it insisted on putting a # in front of the url)

The files are a.mobi which contains the link to b.mobi the links I've tried are

<a href="b">open b</a>
<a href="b.mobi">open b</a>
<a href="./b.mobi">open b</a>
<a href="./b">open b</a>

and also
<a href="oeb:redirect?title=b">open b</a> which was suggested on a forum post.

any suggestions or is this not possible? The kindle docs don't mention links to an external file, only internal.

tia,
Dave
daven11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2010, 07:50 PM   #2
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
It's simply not possible to do this on the Kindle, sorry. This is something that was dropped when the Java version of Mobipocket Reader was developed.
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-12-2010, 08:01 PM   #3
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
Welcome to MobileRead anyway, Dave.
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2010, 08:04 PM   #4
daven11
daven11 began at the beginning.

Device: kindle
how annoying! Thanks for letting me know Nate the great

and thanks for the welcome desertgrandma, I've been lurking since I got my kindle (I should have come up with a more colorful handle I now realise).

Last edited by daven11; 02-12-2010 at 08:11 PM.
daven11 is offline   Reply With Quote