Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Writers' Corner

Notices

Old 04-30-2011, 06:29 AM   #1
harold1066
harold1066 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3
Amazon singles, pricing and others things

I'm new to e-publishing and have a couple of short stories I would like to publish on the Kindle.

I have signed up to Amazon direct publishing but find there is very little help through their forums on publishing and pricing.

The two short stories I have both run to roughly 35 pages, one I have already published through the kindle but the price is set at $1.99 this is the lowest I can get it to, any lower and the software shows a red box and won't allow my to continue.

So my questions are how do I tell Amazon the 'book' is a kindle single?
How can I set the price to around the $1 mark?

I am based in the U.K so I don't know if DP works different in other Countries.
harold1066 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2011, 04:39 PM   #2
bhartman36
Wizard
bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 Wi-Fi, Craig CMP738a Android Tablet
Quote:
Originally Posted by harold1066 View Post
I'm new to e-publishing and have a couple of short stories I would like to publish on the Kindle.

I have signed up to Amazon direct publishing but find there is very little help through their forums on publishing and pricing.

The two short stories I have both run to roughly 35 pages, one I have already published through the kindle but the price is set at $1.99 this is the lowest I can get it to, any lower and the software shows a red box and won't allow my to continue.

So my questions are how do I tell Amazon the 'book' is a kindle single?
How can I set the price to around the $1 mark?

I am based in the U.K so I don't know if DP works different in other Countries.
Hi, Harold.

From what I understand, Amazon themselves pick what gets to be classified as a Kindle Single. You can set your e-book to whatever price you want (except free), but keep in mind that different prices have different royalties. You get a lower royalty rate for a book under $2.99.
bhartman36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-01-2011, 05:41 AM   #3
harold1066
harold1066 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3
Smile

Thanks for the reply.

Just wish Amazon would be clearer on how things work within the DP.

I tried to change the price of the ebook again but to no avail, so ended up updating the ebook with a new file. This has allowed me to change the price but of course I now have to wait the 24 hours or so for it to be published again.

As this is all just an experiment at present, I'm happy to just go with the 35% royalties.
harold1066 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2011, 08:23 AM   #4
bhartman36
Wizard
bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 Wi-Fi, Craig CMP738a Android Tablet
Quote:
Originally Posted by harold1066 View Post
Thanks for the reply.

Just wish Amazon would be clearer on how things work within the DP.

I tried to change the price of the ebook again but to no avail, so ended up updating the ebook with a new file. This has allowed me to change the price but of course I now have to wait the 24 hours or so for it to be published again.

As this is all just an experiment at present, I'm happy to just go with the 35% royalties.
In my experience, if you'd have changed only the price, you would've had to republish again anyway, so it's just as well.

You're absolutely right that things need to be clearer.
bhartman36 is offline   Reply With Quote