Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 12-30-2010, 07:32 PM   #1
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Borders (in US) Gift Cards at Risk

As Mike Cane points out, the WSJ is reporting that Borders is delaying payments to some publishers. If Borders files for bankruptcy, gift cards are essentially worthless. So if you got a pile of Border's gift cards for Christmas, be aware of the risk involved with holding on to them.

This is true of any gift cards in the US, but Borders is reportedly in very poor financial shape and so their cards are more likely than most to become worthless.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010, 08:53 PM   #2
GA Russell
Montreal wins Grey Cup!
GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite, Kindles 10 & 4 and jetBook Lite
Here's the Reuters report:

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20101230/bs_nm/us_borders_1
GA Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-30-2010, 09:09 PM   #3
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Uh Oh!
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010, 09:14 PM   #4
SeaBookGuy
Can one read too much?
SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 3, Sony 350 and 650
I'm on the verge of cashing in some of my e-rewards credit for $15 in Borders Bucks - I have lots of credits, but the award is only redeemable once per calendar year.
SeaBookGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010, 09:49 PM   #5
xmiyux
Enthusiast
xmiyux doesn't litterxmiyux doesn't litter

Device: Kindle 3
Well crap. I got a few cards for Christmas. They thought I could use them to buy Kindle books. :lol:
xmiyux is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-31-2010, 11:07 AM   #6
abookreader
Wizard
abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles - Keyboard, Fire, 2-US, iPhone, iPAD
shoot. Thanks for the warning.

I have about $100 worth that I was planning on stretching out for a couple of months but maybe I'd should use them up.
abookreader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2010, 11:23 AM   #7
xmiyux
Enthusiast
xmiyux doesn't litterxmiyux doesn't litter

Device: Kindle 3
No wonder they are heading that way. I called to have a book ordered for me (because they don't carry it in store) and the only way they will order it for me is if I pay up front. And then they claim it will take a week and a half to get it.

Meanwhile Amazon is like 10$ cheaper and will have it to me in two days. Absurd. So now I have to go to the store and find a decent cookbook that they have in stock.
xmiyux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2010, 11:50 AM   #8
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Thanks for the warning. I've been sitting on some Borders credit and obviously, it's time.
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2010, 02:50 PM   #9
NNolan
Compulsive Gadget Geek
NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: One of each, and two in some cases
Yeah, thanks for warning. I got some as gifts last week that I was saving to use on "new release" ebooks between January and June. I'll try to use them up quickly now.
NNolan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2010, 03:21 PM   #10
bgalbrecht
Wizard
bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch, Kobo Glo HD, Kobo Clara HD, Kindle 4
While it's probably best to use up Borders gift cards as soon as possible, if Borders goes into Chapter 11 bankruptcy, they may request the court to allow them to honor the gift cards. If they don't, it pretty much guarantees that they lose a sizable share of their customer base.
bgalbrecht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2010, 03:42 PM   #11
questionfear
Connoisseur
questionfear once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.questionfear once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.questionfear once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.questionfear once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.questionfear once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.questionfear once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.questionfear once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.questionfear once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.questionfear once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.questionfear once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.questionfear once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Amazon Kindle 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by bgalbrecht View Post
While it's probably best to use up Borders gift cards as soon as possible, if Borders goes into Chapter 11 bankruptcy, they may request the court to allow them to honor the gift cards. If they don't, it pretty much guarantees that they lose a sizable share of their customer base.
There's a good chance they may have a Sharper Image-style issue, where you can only use your gift card IF you spend double the amount or something similar. Bankruptcy court doesn't have to straightforward honor the cards.
questionfear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2010, 06:12 PM   #12
Steven Lake
Sci-Fi Author
Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PC (Calibre)
Ya know, I'm rooting for Borders to survive (they do serve a positive benefit in this world still), however, bankruptcy may actually be a good thing for them. Why? If it's chapter 13, it will go under court control and a judge or several of them will decide what will happen to the company. The nice part about that is they can overrule the board, and the shareholders, and force the company to do things they othewise wouldn't. Most companies who come out of Chapter 13 are actually stronger than at any time in their history. However, if Borders goes Chapter 7, they'll officially be considered dead. So I'm cheering for them to go Chapter 13 as they'll benefit from it. Yes, bankruptcy sucks, but my gawds, the amount of fat and bad things you cast off (including greedy, corrupt investors and corporate managers) is incredible and things end up better on the other end.
Steven Lake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2011, 09:42 AM   #13
Forster
Forster will become famous soon enoughForster will become famous soon enoughForster will become famous soon enoughForster will become famous soon enoughForster will become famous soon enoughForster will become famous soon enough

Device: kindle 2, DX, kindle fire, kindle 3, kindle PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Lake View Post
Ya know, I'm rooting for Borders to survive (they do serve a positive benefit in this world still), however, bankruptcy may actually be a good thing for them. Why? If it's chapter 13, it will go under court control and a judge or several of them will decide what will happen to the company. The nice part about that is they can overrule the board, and the shareholders, and force the company to do things they othewise wouldn't. Most companies who come out of Chapter 13 are actually stronger than at any time in their history. However, if Borders goes Chapter 7, they'll officially be considered dead. So I'm cheering for them to go Chapter 13 as they'll benefit from it. Yes, bankruptcy sucks, but my gawds, the amount of fat and bad things you cast off (including greedy, corrupt investors and corporate managers) is incredible and things end up better on the other end.
So has Borders been plagued with greedy corrupt investors and corporate managers?
Forster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2011, 10:54 AM   #14
rhadin
Literacy = Understanding
rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook, Nook Tablet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forster View Post
So has Borders been plagued with greedy corrupt investors and corporate managers?
No, only with short-sighted investors and managers who believed in micro-managing.
rhadin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2011, 12:08 PM   #15
Forster
Forster will become famous soon enoughForster will become famous soon enoughForster will become famous soon enoughForster will become famous soon enoughForster will become famous soon enoughForster will become famous soon enough

Device: kindle 2, DX, kindle fire, kindle 3, kindle PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhadin View Post
No, only with short-sighted investors and managers who believed in micro-managing.
Well that and a dieing business model. With contracting retail sales in B&M type of stores somebody is going to have to go so the others can survive a while longer. I'm not a big fan of bankruptcy (it does have its place). In this case one of the big chains going away will help strengthen the competition. Allow them to stay in business through bankruptcy and you are only going to hurt others such as B&N.

But whatever it's only a matter of time for both of them anyway.

Ironically my wife and son both got Borders gift cards from extended family this year. Never had gotten any before. We have to drive 2 hours to get to the nearest Borders. I had to do an internet search cause I didn't know where any Borders were.

It's too bad they didn't get an Amazon gift card like I got cause they'd already have their books.
Forster is offline   Reply With Quote