Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 02-08-2010, 11:38 AM   #1
dizave
dizave began at the beginning.

Device: none
note taking / highlighting

Hi all--

Just picked up a 900 a few days ago and am still trying to decide if its overall awesomeness outweighs its screen. Anyway, one of the things I use it for is reading cases. The note taking feature is great there-- I do a lot of highlighting and some handwritten notes.

I've only just noticed that, when you are in highlight mode, the last line or two of the page goes away (presumably to make room for the little menu at the top of the page). This wouldn't matter if I wasn't trying to highlight the last line! So, does anyone know how to get that last line?

Relatedly, does anyone know what the book icon in the notes menu (far right, next to the close icon) does? I'm sure its in the manual, but while I love the reader for reading, so far I'm not a big fan of how it handles searching, and so the electronic manual isn't doing it for me

-dave
dizave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010, 11:47 AM   #2
SCION
Séduisant
SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note Air2+; Kobo Libra2; Kindle Scribe, Oasis3; iPad Mini6
Congratulations! Here's the owners manual:

http://www.sonystyle.com/wcsstore/So...set-182643.pdf

Perhaps someone will chime in about note taking.
SCION is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010, 12:47 PM   #3
dizave

Thanks. The book icon is apparently for making bookmarks, which is cool except so far I can't figure out how to control what the bookmark text is in the notes list.
Old 02-08-2010, 12:57 PM   #4
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
A bookmark doesn't have any text - it's just a page marker. You can also bookmark a page while reading by double-tapping the upper right corner of the page.

Are you sure that you lose lines when you display the notes menu? You don't on the PRS-600 (which has pretty much the same firmware as the 900); on the 600, when you turn on the notes menu, the text on the page gets slightly smaller to accommodate it, but displays the same number of lines.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010, 12:58 PM   #5
MelC
Evangelist
MelC knows what time it isMelC knows what time it isMelC knows what time it isMelC knows what time it isMelC knows what time it isMelC knows what time it isMelC knows what time it isMelC knows what time it isMelC knows what time it isMelC knows what time it isMelC knows what time it is

Device: Cybook Gen3, PRS600
To maybe help with your first question, assuming it works similarly to a PRS600, try double tapping and dragging the stylus across the text you want to highlight rather than entering the menus to get the highlight screen. It takes some practice but it should allow you to highlight the bottom text without interference and the dialogue box will come up afterwards confirming that you want to highlight it.

Mel
MelC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010, 01:01 PM   #6
SCION
Séduisant
SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dizave View Post
Thanks. The book icon is apparently for making bookmarks, which is cool except so far I can't figure out how to control what the bookmark text is in the notes list.
I played with it just now. It appears you can't make descriptive bookmarks. Like you, I would like to be able to do this.
Old 02-08-2010, 01:06 PM   #7
Ben Thornton
Guru
Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, iPad 2 (but not for e-books)
I can't replicate the behaviour that you see on my PRS-900. For both E-PUB and PDF files, the screen is resized when going into notes mode, as Harry mentioned above for the PRS-600. What file format was it where you saw this?
Ben Thornton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010, 02:44 PM   #8
sirmaru
Wizard
sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 2013, HDX 2013, Galaxy S5 2014
Bookmark comments

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCION View Post
I played with it just now. It appears you can't make descriptive bookmarks. Like you, I would like to be able to do this.
Just open Options and tap "Notes." Tap the pencil icon on the top left. Then close "Notes." Then tap the Bookmark in the upper right hand corner and you will be given a virtual keyboard and an option to write a Note for the Bookmark.

If your tap in the upper right corner doesn't create the bookmark, you can just tap the bookmark icon with "Notes" open from the Options Menu. I find that a lot easier then tapping the upper right hand corner.

You can also type the note in the Reader Libary and sync with the PRS 900.
sirmaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010, 02:49 PM   #9
sirmaru
Wizard
sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 2013, HDX 2013, Galaxy S5 2014
Highlights and Comments

Quote:
Originally Posted by MelC View Post
To maybe help with your first question, assuming it works similarly to a PRS600, try double tapping and dragging the stylus across the text you want to highlight rather than entering the menus to get the highlight screen. It takes some practice but it should allow you to highlight the bottom text without interference and the dialogue box will come up afterwards confirming that you want to highlight it.

Mel
I find it a lot easier to highlight and type in related comments in Reader Library on the PC. Then I just export them to the PRS 900. I like my ergonomic MS keyboard much better than the PRS 900 Virtual keyboard.
sirmaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010, 03:02 PM   #10
SCION
Séduisant

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirmaru View Post
Just open Options and tap "Notes." Tap the pencil icon on the top left. Then close "Notes." Then tap the Bookmark in the upper right hand corner and you will be given a virtual keyboard and an option to write a Note for the Bookmark.

If your tap in the upper right corner doesn't create the bookmark, you can just tap the bookmark icon with "Notes" open from the Options Menu. I find that a lot easier then tapping the upper right hand corner.

You can also type the note in the Reader Libary and sync with the PRS 900.
WOW!!! Thanks sirmaru.
Old 02-08-2010, 04:35 PM   #11
dizave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Thornton View Post
I can't replicate the behaviour that you see on my PRS-900. For both E-PUB and PDF files, the screen is resized when going into notes mode, as Harry mentioned above for the PRS-600. What file format was it where you saw this?
It was RTF.

Thanks Simaru for the bookmarking help, that worked and makes things much easier!
Old 02-09-2010, 01:06 AM   #12
tdanzie
Connoisseur
tdanzie is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.tdanzie is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.tdanzie is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.tdanzie is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.tdanzie is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.tdanzie is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.tdanzie is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.tdanzie is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.tdanzie is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.tdanzie is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.tdanzie is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.

Device: iPad Pro, Kobo H2O, Kindle Voyage, Kobo Aura One
Thanks sirmaru, I did not need your directions for the notes; but, was getting that option everytime I was adding or removing the bookmark. I followed the first half of your directions and was able to turn it off. I guess I turned that feature on when I was playing with notes. Thanks again, it was driving me crazy.
tdanzie is offline   Reply With Quote