Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 02-08-2010, 11:26 AM   #1
snlu178
snlu178 began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-900
Failed News Download - Corrupt File

I have the issue that the news fetch fails half-way through with the Los Angeles Times. Calibre will then crash because the metadata.db and the file itself are corrupted (partial file).

The issue is that the file is then locked to linuxuser/nobody so I cannot delete the file from my PC. The metadata.db is locked because it is trying to open the fetch file. Thus, Calibre will not open.

I have tried eraser and a few other programs to delete the file with no luck (maybe because it is stored on a NAS drive?).

Any ideas out there???
snlu178 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010, 09:35 PM   #2
snlu178

I was able to delete the corrupt file. Started the news download again and promptly ended up with a corrupt epub file again.

If anyone has experienced this or has an idea, please help.
Advert
Old 02-10-2010, 11:29 AM   #3
snlu178

Ok having replicated this about 6 times I think I know what is going on.

Essentially, the news rss download is interrupted so Calibre writes a partial metadata.db-journal file and does not complete writing to metadata.db.

What I end up with is 3 corrupted files: the rss epub, metadata.db, metadata.db-journal.

None of these files will delete, my immediate fix is to rename the calibre folder, create a new folder and move everything but those three files to that new calibre folder. I then place a back-up metadata file so Calibre boots again.

However, I am left with 3 corrupted files that are locked to unix user/nobody. I have found that ftp in to my drive from outside my network allows me to delete them (resolves permissions issues because it requires a log-in).

I guess there is no real fix here, if a rss download is interrupted (loss of connection, my wife opening facebook and the download stopping) then these files end up this way. Its just a frustration because if I dont do as I stated above, the computer just crashes when I open Calibre (and dropbox since my calibre file is synced, and it wont sync corrupted files).

---end of rant---
Old 02-10-2010, 11:42 AM   #4
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
An interrupted download shouldn't cause file corruption. It doesn't for me, though I don;t have my files on a network share
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2010, 06:57 PM   #5
snlu178

My desire to have a personal cloud destroys my ebook world.

In reality I think it is that, it stops writing to the network drive which then creates a "partial" file that is identified as either corrupted or locked by user/nobody. Then I cannot unlock / delete the file. But I can once I leave my home network and log in to the ftp.

I dont know why it happens, but it happens. And, there probably isnt a fix for it other than not sharing my ebooks on the NAS drive.

Ho hum...
Advert