Notices

Old 04-14-2009, 12:26 AM   #1
daniel_hokkaido
Enthusiast
daniel_hokkaido began at the beginning.

Device: sonyprs 505, pocketbook pro 603
Can one book really crash my reader?!

Hi,

I posted last week about charging issues with my prs 505. Since my reader is fine now ill put it down to quirks or chance. Still, I am curious about why my reader crashed...was it just from low battery? Before yesterday i might have bet fully on this.

However, the previous crash happened again yesterday and my suspicion that it was caused by one specific book was reinforced. I double checked several times, browzing through all of my library and then leaving my player for a while, a every time it was fine until i tried to access the menu for one book. Only one book. Every time my player just froze after i pressed to enter the individual books's menu. Every time.

The book's format was text file which i converted to lrf with calibre. I also tried pasting it into word and exporting as html to calibre...but same deal. My player crashed as soon as i pressed to go to the book.

So in the end i downloaded the book from another source (also as a text format file) and it was no problem. It looked pretty much identical to the original i had had, except i did not mess with the preset font; i left it as is.

I wonder if changing the font of the file in word was the problem all along?

Anyone have a clue?

I have heard some files with rss feeds will crash the player.
daniel_hokkaido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2009, 09:49 PM   #2
Renaldo
Addict
Renaldo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renaldo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renaldo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renaldo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renaldo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renaldo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renaldo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renaldo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renaldo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renaldo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renaldo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3G + WiFi
I recently had a similar problem with a single book crashing the reader, so I believe it's entirely possible.

I had a text file I put into Word, converted to RTF. I kept the font at times new roman, but changed the size from 10 to 12. I also made the title size 16 and bolded. I converted it in calibre, and also put the font size to 12.0 there, just messing around with the program, I usually leave it at the defaults. It converted fine, loaded fine, and I could pull it up just fine in the 505. However, when I tried to change font sizes on it from S to M it took a bit longer than usual, and when I tried to go from M to L, it would lock. I tried it a few times and it was always the same. I even let it be for an hour or so to make sure it wasn't just having a tough time reflowing the text to L size. It wasn't. In the end, I deleted the book, re-did it from text to .rtf to calibre (leaving it all in default sizes) and it worked fine after that.
Renaldo is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-16-2009, 10:47 PM   #3
daniel_hokkaido
Enthusiast
daniel_hokkaido began at the beginning.

Device: sonyprs 505, pocketbook pro 603
interesting Renaldo. Yeah I did this for a book which had a bad font. Changing it was what crashed it im sure. Just by trial and error testing.

Most txt files are fine but some have uncomfortable fonts. Anyone know if this is a bug with the prs or something we can work around?
daniel_hokkaido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2009, 04:56 PM   #4
gwynevans
Wizzard
gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad 2, iPhone 6s, Kindle Voyage & Kindle PaperWhite
Certainly some books can crash the reader, but it's unusual to be one that's converted from txt to lrf, so if it's repeatable, Kovid might well be interested in the details.

As an aside, sometimes a book can cause a crash then work after the restart (suggesting there's a memory issue somewhere), but two things you could try are either using the Sony software to transfer the book to the device, or to try converting to ePub rather than lrf.
gwynevans is offline   Reply With Quote