Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 04-30-2013, 12:24 PM   #241
Katsunami
Grand Sorcerer
Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KPW1, KA1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyn2012 View Post
Trying to compare number of lines on different readers seems to be very difficult as it isn't easy to get the font displaying the same, especially when using readers from different companies.
There is only one useful way to compare, and that would be the following:

- Put a book onto the two readers that does not force fonts, margins or spacings.
- Set each reader in such a way that you would like to read the book using that settings. (If both readers support custom fonts, you can use your own font.) If one reader can have smaller spacings than the other, or more precise font sizes, then that's just lucky for that specific reader.
- After setting the readers up the way you'd like them most, count the lines and characters on a page.
Katsunami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 12:28 PM   #242
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katsunami View Post
There is only one useful way to compare, and that would be the following:

- Put a book onto the two readers that does not force fonts, margins or spacings.
- Set each reader in such a way that you would like to read the book using that settings. (If both readers support custom fonts, you can use your own font.) If one reader can have smaller spacings than the other, or more precise font sizes, then that's just lucky for that specific reader.
- After setting the readers up the way you'd like them most, count the lines and characters on a page.
In that case, the Aura will lose for sure. The 650 will use a tighter line height were the Aura will use 1.3. To set the Aura how I would like it, I have to set a line height smaller then 1.3. Also, the font I've embedded is my font of choice. So it's the only way I can be sure of the font I want. I can remove the font size and go with the device default for font size. That's not a problem. The screen shot for the 650 won't be any different in font size though because it defaults to 1em.

Last edited by JSWolf; 04-30-2013 at 12:32 PM.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-30-2013, 12:35 PM   #243
Katsunami
Grand Sorcerer
Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I'm going to eat a bit, and then I'll put your War of the Worlds v4 onto the Kindle Paperwhite without changing any of the Paperwhite's settings. Then I'll post you a screenshot of a page with a chapter heading, and one without.
Old 04-30-2013, 12:42 PM   #244
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katsunami View Post
I'm going to eat a bit, and then I'll put your War of the Worlds v4 onto the Kindle Paperwhite without changing any of the Paperwhite's settings. Then I'll post you a screenshot of a page with a chapter heading, and one without.
I've changed the text settings to a 5pt top/left/right margin and I have a line height of 1.1. This is a 650 screen shot. Still more text on screen then the Aura with a line height of 1.0 and no margins. All my tests are with windows and orphans to 0.

These shots match the Aura's two shots and even using more line spacing, larger margins and same font size, the 650 still has more text on screen.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	v5.jpg
Views:	345
Size:	113.8 KB
ID:	105164   Click image for larger version

Name:	v5a.jpg
Views:	369
Size:	175.5 KB
ID:	105165  

Last edited by JSWolf; 04-30-2013 at 12:49 PM.
Old 04-30-2013, 12:55 PM   #245
taming
Trying for calm & polite
taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo original, WiFI, Touch, Glo, and Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
To set the Aura how I would like it, I have to set a line height smaller then 1.3.
Actually, Jon, it may be that you will not really know this until you have tried the Aura. I find that I would not want to have lines any closer using Georgia, and the same setting creates lines that are too widely spaced in some other fonts.

Given how many posts have been added about this issue, and remain to be added, it's odd that it is in Kobo Rocks. That being said, I really hope that variants of the same conversation stay in one place, rather than having them proliferate throughout the board.
taming is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-30-2013, 12:55 PM   #246
Katsunami
Grand Sorcerer

Here's my comparison using this book on the Kindle Paperwhite. In this order:

1 and 2: Set to use the book's built in font (Publisher Font).
3 and 4: Set to my normal reading settings (Font size 4, DejaVu Serif Fat)
5 and 6: Set Font Size to 3, to try and match font size of pics 1 and 2.

Comparisons:

1-2: 29 lines x 52 characters, total 1508, Publisher Font
3-4: 28 lines x 48 characters, total 1344, DejaVu Fat size 4
5-6: 31 lines x 52 characters, total 1612, DejaVu Fat size 3
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	1.png
Views:	348
Size:	42.3 KB
ID:	105166   Click image for larger version

Name:	2.png
Views:	342
Size:	47.6 KB
ID:	105167   Click image for larger version

Name:	3.png
Views:	323
Size:	38.5 KB
ID:	105168   Click image for larger version

Name:	4.png
Views:	327
Size:	40.7 KB
ID:	105169   Click image for larger version

Name:	5.png
Views:	330
Size:	41.3 KB
ID:	105170   Click image for larger version

Name:	6.png
Views:	322
Size:	45.4 KB
ID:	105171  

Last edited by Katsunami; 04-30-2013 at 01:01 PM.
Old 04-30-2013, 01:13 PM   #247
jiminrussell
JimInRussell
jiminrussell is at one with the great books of the world.jiminrussell is at one with the great books of the world.jiminrussell is at one with the great books of the world.jiminrussell is at one with the great books of the world.jiminrussell is at one with the great books of the world.jiminrussell is at one with the great books of the world.jiminrussell is at one with the great books of the world.jiminrussell is at one with the great books of the world.jiminrussell is at one with the great books of the world.jiminrussell is at one with the great books of the world.jiminrussell is at one with the great books of the world.

Device: kobo Aura One, Forma, Elipsa, Sage
Quote:
Can you please show that screen? Thanks.
Here is the v4 file on Aura with the font reduced by 4 steps. I would consider this font to still be slightly bigger than I would normally read at. Looks to be a bit bigger to my eye than text on many paper backs.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	War of the Worlds v4 Chapter header with font reduced by 4 on Aura.JPG
Views:	372
Size:	173.1 KB
ID:	105172   Click image for larger version

Name:	War of the Worlds v4 no Chapter header with font reduced by 4 on Aura.JPG
Views:	345
Size:	209.9 KB
ID:	105173  
jiminrussell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 01:18 PM   #248
ewphoenix123
Addict
ewphoenix123 understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'ewphoenix123 understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'ewphoenix123 understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'ewphoenix123 understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'ewphoenix123 understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'ewphoenix123 understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'ewphoenix123 understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'ewphoenix123 understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'ewphoenix123 understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'ewphoenix123 understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'ewphoenix123 understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'

Device: Kobo: Glo, Aura , Aura H2O, Aura ONE, Forma, Elipsa
Quote:
In that case, the Aura will lose for sure. The 650 will use a tighter line height were the Aura will use 1.3. To set the Aura how I would like it, I have to set a line height smaller then 1.3. Also, the font I've embedded is my font of choice. So it's the only way I can be sure of the font I want. I can remove the font size and go with the device default for font size. That's not a problem. The screen shot for the 650 won't be any different in font size though because it defaults to 1em.
Probably one additional factor to consider is the clarity of the font that comes with the improves resolution, and the lighting, at least when you come from an older reader like the 650.

I switched from a T1 with the coolreader app and all it font improvement options turned on to the GLO.
Because of the better clarity/readability I started to use smaller font sizes then before.
Probably won't matter for Paperwhite or Glo owners.
ewphoenix123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 01:38 PM   #249
ShellShock
Wizard
ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: IPad Mini 2 Retina
I had a 650 from when it was released but I was lured away by the siren calls of the Glo and its front-light, but I really had to bite down hard on the waste of screen space, and just accept it as the price to pay for a front-light. I have complained before to Kobo about the line-height and wasted space at the bottom (and the top for kepubs), with the hope that they would do something about it in a firmware update. Now I am thinking of buying an Aura tomorrow, partly to give me more screen space. How ironic--a shortcoming in one of Kobo's products is leading me to spend even more money with them! At least we can workaround the line-height problem ourselves (I edit all my epubs accordingly).

One thing is for sure--the Aura can fit more words on a screen than the Glo, and that is now my benchmark, as I have not used my poor 650 since I bought the Glo. The 650 is a nice reader, but Sony lost their way with the T1 and especially the T2.

So Kobo have played a blinder - artificially limit the text real estate so people are "motivated" to upgrading to the Aura with its larger screen.
ShellShock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 01:44 PM   #250
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

If I can read at a font size smaller then I do on the 650, then that would be good. One reason for getting an Aura is to be able to get more text on screen then I do now. Otherwise, there's no real advantage.
Old 04-30-2013, 01:53 PM   #251
Katsunami
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jiminrussell View Post
Here is the v4 file on Aura with the font reduced by 4 steps. I would consider this font to still be slightly bigger than I would normally read at. Looks to be a bit bigger to my eye than text on many paper backs.
69 characters per line. If the margins at the left and right were a tad wider, so there would be 65-67 characters in a line, and the margin at the top would match those to the left and right, it would be a "perfect" page.

But only in epub format, as there's a big header when using kepub....
Old 04-30-2013, 01:57 PM   #252
ewphoenix123
Addict
ewphoenix123 understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'ewphoenix123 understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'ewphoenix123 understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'ewphoenix123 understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'ewphoenix123 understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'ewphoenix123 understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'ewphoenix123 understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'ewphoenix123 understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'ewphoenix123 understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'ewphoenix123 understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'ewphoenix123 understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'

Are you using the standard Kobo hyphenation dictionary, or an improved version?
You gain a bit more text with a better (more aggressive) hyphenation.

And thank you for posting all those screenshots.
Old 04-30-2013, 02:03 PM   #253
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

I would love to see the v4 screen shots done again with the more aggressive hyphenation dictionary.
Old 04-30-2013, 02:20 PM   #254
ewphoenix123
Addict

I uploaded the new Hyphenation dictionaries for you, and a backup of the original.
You can install it by renaming the according tgz file to KoboRoot.tgz and placing it in your .kobo folder.

All credit for the dictonaries belongs to yen
Attached Files
File Type: rar Hyphenation.rar (445.1 KB, 488 views)
Old 04-30-2013, 07:50 PM   #255
taming
Trying for calm & polite
taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo original, WiFI, Touch, Glo, and Aura
Quote:
If I can read at a font size smaller then I do on the 650, then that would be good. One reason for getting an Aura is to be able to get more text on screen then I do now. Otherwise, there's no real advantage.
If the number of words on the screen is the only reason to get an Aura, then passing on it might be what you should do. For people going from a Glo to an Aura, there are many more words on a screen. And while that is great, it is the higher resolution and other features that float my boat.
taming is offline   Reply With Quote