Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices > enTourage eDGe > enTourage Archive

Notices

Old 02-24-2011, 11:07 AM   #1
melusina
Edge User

Can't set up wireless on secure network

Pocket Edge arrived yesterday and I am prepared to love it - but only if I can use it at the university where I work. Just spent half an hour on the phone with tech support, and we have been unable to connect. The network here that I normally is secured by a WEP hex, which we entered and on my laptop is stored (I guess). So whenever I connect to the network, I enter my personal user ID and PW. However, according to tech support, the Edges are not set up to do that. Indeed, we have not been able to connect to this network. However, I would expect to be able to reach the network and then enter my User ID and PW, rather than having those stored in the Edge. I wasn't able to make the tech support person understand that, though - she just kept saying the Edges aren't made to connect to extremely secure networks.

Our IT office offers advice on connecting using different operating systems, including Ubuntu and iPhone, but no Android devices. I am going to call them next but thought I would also inquire here. Surely Entourage hasn't made devices that are incapable of being connected to medium-secure networks? Again, I don't need to store my personal PW and ID on the Edge.

I want this to work!

Thanks, Melitabel

Old 02-24-2011, 11:19 AM   #2
melusina
Edge User

Update - we have a special different network access for mobile devices to which I am now connected. Now I just have to figure out how to get to the next step in set-up.

Advert
Old 02-24-2011, 01:25 PM   #3
NiaTrue
Edge User

Odd, for a lot of reasons. WEP is hardly "extremely secure"; it's somewhat outdated. My wireless network at home is more secure than WEP (it uses WAP2) and I have no problem there or at the University where I work, which is blanketed by an open network. Glad you were able to connect though.

Old 02-24-2011, 05:13 PM   #4
borisb
Edge User

Quote:
Originally Posted by melusina View Post
Update - we have a special different network access for mobile devices to which I am now connected. Now I just have to figure out how to get to the next step in set-up.
Feel free to contact Tech Support directly to get fast help on this: www.entourageedge.com/support