Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK > Nook Color & Nook Tablet

Notices

Old 05-15-2011, 07:16 PM   #1
Chikwako
Reader EZ
Chikwako has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Chikwako has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Chikwako has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: √NC, √NST, Sero Pro
From auto-nooter 3.0 to CM7

I rooted my NC (originally with version 1.1 stock software) with auto-nooter 3. Now I want to install CM7 but I have doubts because:

I don’t know if I have to go back to stock software 1.1 first, then update to 1.2, then proceed with CM7. Or do I just skip the 1.2 upgrade because is not known whether CM7 works with it? (I read this somewhere).

What I want is the simplest way to upgrade or move to CM7.

I spent all weekend reading threads here and got scattered bits & pieces of info, and now the weekend is over and my project was not done.

Help?

[EDIT] I forgot to say that I would like CM7 running on the SD card, not installed on the device.

Last edited by Chikwako; 05-15-2011 at 08:19 PM.
Chikwako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2011, 09:58 PM   #2
xianfox
Ebook Addict
xianfox knows what time it isxianfox knows what time it isxianfox knows what time it isxianfox knows what time it isxianfox knows what time it isxianfox knows what time it isxianfox knows what time it isxianfox knows what time it isxianfox knows what time it isxianfox knows what time it isxianfox knows what time it is

Device: Kindle Paperwhite Signature Edition
I installed CM7 after upgrading to 1.2. You don't need to go to 1.2 first tho. 1.1 and 1.2 will both boot to the SD card first if it's a bootable card.

That said, I installed CM7 over the 1.2 software and love it. It ran noticeably slower from SD card and I was a little disappointed with it. I'm very happy with it now that it's running from the device's memory now.
xianfox is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-15-2011, 10:54 PM   #3
afv011
Captain Penguin
afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Nook Glowlight
It doesn't matter what you are running. When you run CM7 from the sdcard the OS in there takes over. it's a nice way to try out CM7 without removing the stock OS; to go back to stock simply remove the SD card before starting up.
afv011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2011, 11:54 PM   #4
goldberry
Groupie
goldberry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.goldberry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.goldberry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.goldberry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.goldberry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.goldberry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.goldberry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.goldberry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.goldberry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.goldberry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.goldberry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindles (wife's), now obsolete Nook and Sony
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chikwako View Post
I rooted my NC (originally with version 1.1 stock software) with auto-nooter 3. Now I want to install CM7 but I have doubts because:

I don’t know if I have to go back to stock software 1.1 first, then update to 1.2, then proceed with CM7. Or do I just skip the 1.2 upgrade because is not known whether CM7 works with it? (I read this somewhere).

What I want is the simplest way to upgrade or move to CM7.

I spent all weekend reading threads here and got scattered bits & pieces of info, and now the weekend is over and my project was not done.

Help?

[EDIT] I forgot to say that I would like CM7 running on the SD card, not installed on the device.
This is one of the best guides out there. Just read and follow closely and you will have no problems.
http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...000957&page=35

Some people have problems with some SD cards and it seems the consensus consider Sandisk 8 or 16 gb class 2 or 4 to be very reliable. I use a Sandisk 4gb class 2 and it works well. I also have a Transcend 8gb class 6 and it has a problem with some programs.
goldberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011, 10:08 PM   #5
Chikwako
Reader EZ
Chikwako has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Chikwako has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Chikwako has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Thank you Goldberry!

Any particular reason you point the link to page 35?
Also, the thread is 67 pages long, therefore it will take some time to go thru it.

Nevertheless, better safe than sorry. I appreciate your assistance, as well as xianfox's and afv011's.

Last edited by Chikwako; 05-16-2011 at 10:12 PM.
Advert
Old 05-18-2011, 11:05 AM   #6
goldberry
Groupie
goldberry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.goldberry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.goldberry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.goldberry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.goldberry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.goldberry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.goldberry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.goldberry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.goldberry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.goldberry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.goldberry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindles (wife's), now obsolete Nook and Sony
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chikwako View Post
Thank you Goldberry!

Any particular reason you point the link to page 35?
Also, the thread is 67 pages long, therefore it will take some time to go thru it.

Nevertheless, better safe than sorry. I appreciate your assistance, as well as xianfox's and afv011's.

Sorry I used my bookmark. Just go to the first page of the thread which is detailed and up to date. No need to read the complete thread.
goldberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2011, 02:00 PM   #7
Chikwako
Reader EZ

Hey it worked! I spent most of my sleeping time last night doing this (the downloading of apps is what took so long ) and worked fine. Thank you for pointing the site out to me, Goldberry.

As you can guess I spent most of the day today falling asleep in front of my computer at work
Old 05-19-2011, 12:45 PM   #8
nabour
Gaget-lovin' Nana
nabour began at the beginning.

Device: Classic Nook, Nookcolor
Me, too!

Chiwako: I read your post and I am in same position. Want to try the CM7 but am afraid of ruining my nice setup. I, too, noted the looonnnggg list of posts and was reluctant to start. Where did you begin?
nabour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2011, 01:51 PM   #9
Chikwako
Reader EZ

Right on the first page, but I read it about 6-7 times, as I am not very familiar with all the terminology.
  • I downloaded the 3 programs (the image, the CM7 program and Gapps).
  • I used the winimage program to copy the image to the uSD card.
  • Then I copy BOTH the CM7 and GAPPS zipped files in the main directory of the card, contrary to what the post said.

The reason is that when I did as per instructions, the step that supposedly loads the GAPPS did not work. So I formatted the card again and started over as I said above. And it works, however I find the program runs kinda sluggish on the uSD. I DID NOT use Sandisk code 4, but an PNY 8GB code 4.

I dunno, maybe eventually I will install CM7 or its successor on the device itself, depending on how much use I will have for the B&N site at the store, which I haven't tried yet (I got plenty of books to keep me busy for years, and use Coolreader to display them).

So, please read the instructions closely (if English is not your first language don't dispair, is not mine either, and I still don't get many concepts specially about "kernel versions") and familiarize yourself with the terminology (read other posts as well). Let us know how you do!!