Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK

Notices

Old 12-17-2010, 11:44 AM   #1
PilgrimSoul
PilgrimSoul began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Reader Touch Edition PRS-600
Protection Plan

I want to get rid of my Sony and buy a nook soon. Did any of you purchase the extended protection plan? I'm always leery of those things, but I'm afraid if I don't get it, I'll end up damaging it the first week! Is it worth the $40?

Thanks!
PilgrimSoul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2010, 12:46 PM   #2
taustin
Wizard
taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook
From my personal experience, yes, it's worth it unless you are certain you're not going to drop it.
taustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-17-2010, 12:55 PM   #3
Care
Aes Sedai
Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.

Device: Kobo Aura and Kobo Mini, had a Nook, NOOKcolor, Nook STR.
I bought the protection plan from B&N because at the time my 16 month old baby threw my phone and cracked the screen so I was paranoid something would happen to my Nook. It gives me peace of mind. So far I haven't needed it, but it's there if I do.
Care is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2010, 12:59 PM   #4
carbphrek
carbphrek will become famous soon enoughcarbphrek will become famous soon enoughcarbphrek will become famous soon enoughcarbphrek will become famous soon enoughcarbphrek will become famous soon enoughcarbphrek will become famous soon enough

Device: Nook, NC
I bought a 2yr through SquareTrade for $28. I haven't had to use it but I've heard good things about SquareTrade.
carbphrek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2010, 01:26 PM   #5
jbcohen
Wizard
jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung A21
Put my first Libra in the pocket of my overcoat along with a few more things and cracked the darn screen. Now I always carry my Libra by itself rather than in pockets. Borders does not offer a plan on these readers.
jbcohen is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-17-2010, 05:32 PM   #6
chas0039
Sceptic
chas0039 is slicker than a case of WD-40chas0039 is slicker than a case of WD-40chas0039 is slicker than a case of WD-40chas0039 is slicker than a case of WD-40chas0039 is slicker than a case of WD-40chas0039 is slicker than a case of WD-40chas0039 is slicker than a case of WD-40chas0039 is slicker than a case of WD-40chas0039 is slicker than a case of WD-40chas0039 is slicker than a case of WD-40chas0039 is slicker than a case of WD-40

Device: rooted Nooks, retired. JetBook Lite, Kindle 3, 4, Kobo Nia, Libra H2O.
Five star recommendation for Square Trade.
chas0039 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2010, 03:23 AM   #7
Catalytic
Catalytic began at the beginning.

Device: NookColor, Nook
Can anyone explain the Square Trade thing? I bought 6 Nooks for Christmas, and couldn't afford to add the plan to all of them. I'd love to be able to get it cheaper.
Catalytic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2010, 06:08 AM   #8
leday
Groupie
leday has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.leday has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.leday has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.leday has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.leday has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Sony PRS-700, Nook Color
go to www.squaretrade.com for details. I just got a 3-year warranty for $39.99 (I got $10 off the price using a coupon code....google "square trade coupon" to find the coupons). Quote from their site:
Get protected against:

* Damage from drops & spills
* Mechanical & Electrical Failure
* Other accidents from handling

I didn't get an extended warranty on my Sony PMS-700 and a little over a year after I got it, the wall charge port stopped working (wore out and loosened up so it wasn't making the connection anymore). Unit was out of warranty by then, and Sony would have charged me $99 to send it to them and get a refurbished replacement). I figured I'd better get a warranty on my Nook Color "just in case" something like this happens again.

Last edited by leday; 12-19-2010 at 06:15 AM.
leday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2010, 07:22 AM   #9
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Originally Posted by PilgrimSoul View Post
I want to get rid of my Sony and buy a nook soon. Did any of you purchase the extended protection plan? I'm always leery of those things, but I'm afraid if I don't get it, I'll end up damaging it the first week! Is it worth the $40?

Thanks!
Another thing to consider is the extended warranty many credit cards offer for free. It's usually double the manufacturer's warranty, up to a year. I bought a Nook Color using my credit card and it's protected for two full years.

Keep in mind, this only covers manufacturing defects. To get accidental damage protection, you need to buy an appropriate policy from other sources like B&N or SquareTrade. Of the two, SquareTrade is the better deal.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2010, 01:17 PM   #10
Catalytic
Catalytic began at the beginning.

Device: NookColor, Nook
Just a heads up, if you buy your ST warranty thru Facebook, they're having a sale for 20% off, up to $30.

http://apps.facebook.com/warranties/
Catalytic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2010, 01:27 PM   #11
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catalytic View Post
Just a heads up, if you buy your ST warranty thru Facebook, they're having a sale for 20% off, up to $30.

http://apps.facebook.com/warranties/
SquareTrade recently had a 40% off deal and will likely have another one. So for those who can wait (you have 90 days to decide after purchase), keep checking coupon codes.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2010, 08:05 PM   #12
waffleman
Enthusiast
waffleman knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'waffleman knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'waffleman knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'waffleman knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'waffleman knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'waffleman knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'waffleman knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'waffleman knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'waffleman knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'waffleman knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'waffleman knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'

Device: NookColor
Have any of you actually ever had to use ST warranty service? What was that like?

I noticed they have a 40% off sale right now - code is SANTA -- so you can get the NC covered for 3 years (including drops/spills) for $40 - seems like a much better deal than what you get at Barnes and Nobles or Best Buy.

Last edited by waffleman; 12-19-2010 at 08:14 PM.
waffleman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2010, 09:39 PM   #13
rdfry
loving the books
rdfry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdfry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdfry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdfry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdfry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdfry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdfry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdfry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdfry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdfry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdfry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Rooted Nook, Galaxy Tab Pro 8.4, Galaxy Note 5, 2 Fire 7s Note 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by waffleman View Post
Have any of you actually ever had to use ST warranty service? What was that like?

I noticed they have a 40% off sale right now - code is SANTA -- so you can get the NC covered for 3 years (including drops/spills) for $40 - seems like a much better deal than what you get at Barnes and Nobles or Best Buy.
They send you a check for what you paid for your device unless they choose to have it fixed. Generally if the device is less than $400 dollars they will just pay you.
rdfry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2010, 10:27 PM   #14
MsCG1
Zealot
MsCG1 juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseMsCG1 juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseMsCG1 juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseMsCG1 juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseMsCG1 juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseMsCG1 juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseMsCG1 juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseMsCG1 juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseMsCG1 juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseMsCG1 juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseMsCG1 juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exercise

Device: Nook Classic, NookColor, HTC Rezound, Sony PRS-505, ICS Touchpad
For my first Nook, I bought an extended warranty from BN. But back then it was $250 and the $60 seemed like a sound investment for peace of mind. Now that the Nook Classics are so cheap, I don't think I would still purchase a warranty for it.

For my Nook Color, I purchased a warranty from Squaretrade. They recommend that you fax or mail in your receipt immediately so they can keep a copy on file. Be sure to do that if you are a bit scatterbrained like me, and can't keep up with all of your receipts.
MsCG1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010, 09:20 AM   #15
carbphrek
carbphrek will become famous soon enoughcarbphrek will become famous soon enoughcarbphrek will become famous soon enoughcarbphrek will become famous soon enoughcarbphrek will become famous soon enoughcarbphrek will become famous soon enough

Device: Nook, NC
Quote:
Originally Posted by MsCG1 View Post
F They recommend that you fax or mail in your receipt immediately so they can keep a copy on file. Be sure to do that if you are a bit scatterbrained like me, and can't keep up with all of your receipts.
Another reason why I liked SquareTrade, I emailed them my digital receipt before the NC arrived at my door. Also why I love Target, I do not need my receipts to return/exchange items just present my CC.

There is a pile of receipts hiding along with the socks that mysteriously vanish from the laundry.
carbphrek is offline   Reply With Quote