Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > ePub

Notices

Old 07-27-2009, 09:27 PM   #1
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
title page & background images

Lately I've been thinking up interesting things that can be done with ebooks. This evening I realized that one can add detail to a page by using a frame image (like this) as a background image. This could be very useful for a title page, or any other page with a limited amount of text and a relatively fixed layout.

I think it would be best to use images that are already screen size (600x800). I provided a link to some frames that are. Are there any graphic designers here who would like to make more?

Neat idea, huh?
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2009, 09:30 PM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
IIRC ADE doesn't support all the CSS 2 .1 background properties, so you may not have much luck with this. Though maybe the newer ones do.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2009, 09:41 PM   #3
nrapallo
GuteBook/Mobi2IMP Creator
nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: REB1200 EBW1150 Device: T1 NSTG iLiad_v2 NC Device: Asus_TF Next1 WPDN
I've never had success using a background image for just a page with overlay text thereon, for my .imp ebooks or conversions.

It's usually the background image first, then followed by the text, not on top of the image.

It's all about positioning and when rendering html in a top-down design, that linear nature seems to be the only model understood by our ebook creating programs.

Sure, you can try absolute positioning. That's the only way I've seen .pdf conversions to .html done (visually) accurately (with text), but it's a whole new ball game for ebooks creating programs to render and match. I think this is one of the reasons .pdf to .html never converts layouts well.

Been there and now use PDFRead when I can't win!

Just my two cents.
nrapallo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2009, 09:47 PM   #4
carlobee
Fanatic
carlobee has learned how to read e-bookscarlobee has learned how to read e-bookscarlobee has learned how to read e-bookscarlobee has learned how to read e-bookscarlobee has learned how to read e-bookscarlobee has learned how to read e-bookscarlobee has learned how to read e-bookscarlobee has learned how to read e-books

Device: The new iPad
oh. i still don't know how to do this.

carlobee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2009, 09:54 PM   #5
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
IIRC ADE doesn't support all the CSS 2 .1 background properties, so you may not have much luck with this. Though maybe the newer ones do.
I just tested it. It doesn't quite work right in the calibre ebook-viewer or Adobe DE. But it works well enough that I think the problem is caused by my limited knowledge of css+html.

Would any of our more experienced members like to take a shot?
Old 07-28-2009, 05:01 AM   #6
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch
Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Orizon, Kobo Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate the great View Post
I think it would be best to use images that are already screen size (600x800). I provided a link to some frames that are. Are there any graphic designers here who would like to make more?
Not all screens are 600×800, desktop readers can resize the screen at will, there can be margins or status bars, the orientation can be portrait or landscape... in a couple of years we could all be enjoying 1200×1600 screens... I would say it's a nice idea but maybe too dangerous...

How about coding the frame or title page in SVG? That could be more device- and future-proof.
Jellby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2009, 07:54 AM   #7
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jellby View Post
Not all screens are 600×800, desktop readers can resize the screen at will, there can be margins or status bars, the orientation can be portrait or landscape... in a couple of years we could all be enjoying 1200×1600 screens... I would say it's a nice idea but maybe too dangerous...

How about coding the frame or title page in SVG? That could be more device- and future-proof.
Sounds good. Do yuo want to give it a try?
Old 07-28-2009, 09:13 AM   #8
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch
Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Sounds good. Do yuo want to give it a try?
Hmm... I don't think I can yet, I'd need some serious SVG experience first

The kind of frame you showed would be hard, I guess. The number and size of the "features" in the frame would have to be altered depending on the page size, and I don't know if it can be done, it's not simple stretching or cutting.
Old 07-28-2009, 09:19 AM   #9
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh

Quote:
Hmm... I don't think I can yet, I'd need some serious SVG experience first

The kind of frame you showed would be hard, I guess. The number and size of the "features" in the frame would have to be altered depending on the page size, and I don't know if it can be done, it's not simple stretching or cutting.
Until I found that set of frames I was planning to suggest a very simple line frame with optional beveled corners and other relatively simple features.
Old 07-28-2009, 10:56 AM   #10
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch

Quote:
Until I found that set of frames I was planning to suggest a very simple line frame with optional beveled corners and other relatively simple features.
That should be possible with good ol' CSS.
Old 07-28-2009, 12:15 PM   #11
nrapallo
GuteBook/Mobi2IMP Creator
nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: REB1200 EBW1150 Device: T1 NSTG iLiad_v2 NC Device: Asus_TF Next1 WPDN
Quote:
First attempt attached!

Can it be improved?
Attached Files
File Type: zip Good Ol' CSS_source.zip (7.7 KB, 389 views)
File Type: prc Good Ol' CSS.prc (5.5 KB, 387 views)
File Type: epub Good Ol' CSS.epub (129.6 KB, 425 views)
File Type: lrf Good Ol' CSS.lrf (14.7 KB, 361 views)
File Type: imp Good Ol' CSS.imp (9.4 KB, 398 views)
File Type: imp Good Ol' CSS_1200.imp (8.9 KB, 392 views)
nrapallo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2009, 01:50 PM   #12
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh

Quote:
That's too basic. There's a lot you can't do.
Old 07-28-2009, 02:03 PM   #13
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch

Quote:
That's too basic. There's a lot you can't do.
Of course, I was referring to the "simple line frame with bevelled corners".

How about this?

Or this.

Or maybe something of what's shown here.
Old 07-28-2009, 04:38 PM   #14
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh

Quote:
Of course, I was referring to the "simple line frame with bevelled corners".

How about this?

Or this.

Or maybe something of what's shown here.
See, I told you I don't now much css.