Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader > Kobo Tablets

Notices

Old 09-22-2013, 07:13 AM   #1
elverulamio
elverulamio began at the beginning.

Device: kobo arc
kobo arc 7 and pdf

Hi,

I am a grad student so i have to read a lot, and specially i read a lot of pdfs since most of the academic articles come in that format. I also have lots of academic books in pdf format, which is a lot cheaper than buying them... for instance cambridge press, oxford press and so on are really expensive and i cannot afford buying all the stuff I need. I am looking for a reader that allow me to read my pdf's. I have an amazon kindle, but i am not very satisfied with the result. I am wondering if the kobo arc 7 is a good solution. If seen it in show off at some shops but not sure how good would it be for reading a pdf. Does anyone have an opinion? (Haven't been able to find a video review that talks about pdf's). It looks like a good tablet/reader, so i think it could be a good solution.

Thanks

Last edited by elverulamio; 09-22-2013 at 08:07 AM.
elverulamio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 01:47 PM   #2
Nightyume
Addict
Nightyume can see what is invisible to the naked eye.Nightyume can see what is invisible to the naked eye.Nightyume can see what is invisible to the naked eye.Nightyume can see what is invisible to the naked eye.Nightyume can see what is invisible to the naked eye.Nightyume can see what is invisible to the naked eye.Nightyume can see what is invisible to the naked eye.Nightyume can see what is invisible to the naked eye.Nightyume can see what is invisible to the naked eye.Nightyume can see what is invisible to the naked eye.Nightyume can see what is invisible to the naked eye.

Device: HTC One, Galaxy Note 10.1, Kobo Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by elverulamio View Post
Hi,

I am a grad student so i have to read a lot, and specially i read a lot of pdfs since most of the academic articles come in that format. I also have lots of academic books in pdf format, which is a lot cheaper than buying them... for instance cambridge press, oxford press and so on are really expensive and i cannot afford buying all the stuff I need. I am looking for a reader that allow me to read my pdf's. I have an amazon kindle, but i am not very satisfied with the result. I am wondering if the kobo arc 7 is a good solution. If seen it in show off at some shops but not sure how good would it be for reading a pdf. Does anyone have an opinion? (Haven't been able to find a video review that talks about pdf's). It looks like a good tablet/reader, so i think it could be a good solution.

Thanks
Any decent tablet should be good for PDFs, much better than an ereader in general since any decent tablet (this includes the arc) will have a comparable resolution or higher in many cases, colour screens help with pictures and diagrams, zooming and panning is much easier and faster in large part to the higher refresh rate of lcd or amoled screens. If you don't like the built in pdf viewer for whatever reason I suggest the ezPDF Reader app from the play store. It has great functionality and compatability (it's even fully compatible with many multimedia PDFs).
Nightyume is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-22-2013, 01:57 PM   #3
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by elverulamio View Post
Hi,

I don't have a Kobo Arc but my Nexus 7 is a better device for reading PDFs than my Aura HD. PDF reading is more or less an afterthought on the Aura HD while a couple of pdf reader apps on the Nexus handle zooming, text reflow, etc. much better.

OTOH, for my tech manual collection, I prefer to use my iPad -- for those pesky diagrams manual authors seem to love, the bigger the screen the better.

I do keep most of the manuals on all 3 -- you never know when you might need to refer to a manual -- so able to use trumps easier to use but not available at the moment.

Regards,
David

Last edited by DNSB; 09-22-2013 at 02:00 PM.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 04:35 AM   #4
elverulamio
elverulamio began at the beginning.

Device: kobo arc
I bought the kobo and i am pretty satisfied for now. I've been testing it for a day, and for now, perfect. Ezpdf is indeed great.

Thanks for the help guys.

Cheers
elverulamio is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
kobo arc 7, pdf, read books