Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Announcements

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 10-30-2012, 09:57 AM   #16
Format C:
Guru
Format C: ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Format C: ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Format C: ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Format C: ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Format C: ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Format C: ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Format C: ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Format C: ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Format C: ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Format C: ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Format C: ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iLiad + PRS-505 + Kindle 3
WOW!

Ten years Internet time is something like a century human time...
Great job, you all!

My favourite section is the Reading Reccomendations, and particularly the Book Club section.

That's because, having started reading this forum (about one year before my actual subscription) looking for information about technology, I think I am now a little bit over the geek phase, and I'm using my devices as means. The MR RR and BC sections are really helping me to make the best use of those readers (and making me give some money to Jeff Bezos, too...)

It's hard to think how they could be better than this... Maybe dividing the Reccomendations forum into genre-specific subsections. But this has a downside, too: if there was a "General Fiction" section I'd have been there less frequently and maybe missed some good read...

So,

Old 10-30-2012, 10:02 AM   #17
knuthmeyer
Enthusiast
knuthmeyer is on a distinguished road

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2
Congratulations

Congratulations on your anniversary.

I usually stop over at least once a day to look out for ebook reader news. Currently I prefer the Kobo section, because I am eagerly awaiting my Kobo glo, but I also delve into the ebooks and calibre section.

Thanks for such a wonderful place in the internet, which is (mostly) free of stupid flame wars, spam or other stuff and so full of information, people willing to help and answer every question and also thanks for all the people formatting, proof-reading and putting up public domain ebooks.

For the next ten years (at least). Imagine what mobile ereaders might look like then. Do you imagine, DRM will then still be around?

Last edited by knuthmeyer; 10-30-2012 at 10:05 AM. Reason: typo
Old 10-30-2012, 10:03 AM   #18
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
I don't know that I have a favorite section, but Reading Reccomendations and Deals are probably at the top along with News.

I don't think I'd change Reading Reccomendations and divide it up into genre areas. If people really want something like that maybe genre prefix tags would be the way to go instead of separate sections.

Thanks to Alex and the moderators for making MR such a great place to hang out.
Old 10-30-2012, 10:03 AM   #19
David Munch
Scholar
David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra H2O + iPad Air 4
Personally, the Writers' Corner is the place to be.

I initially found MobileRead because I wanted to discuss a specific book. Since then I've hung around for some time, and found a lot more.. Especially a lust for writing my own books, and for that, Writers' Corner is very helpful to me!

if anything could be improved in that forum, I guess it would be a wiki page with an index of all the common questions asked by new writers, or just an overview of helpful threads for aspiring writers as myself - The wiki page could be linked to as a sticky at the top of the Writers' Corner sub-forum.

Edit: Oh, and even though I've already written it in another thread - Happy birthday!
Old 10-30-2012, 10:13 AM   #20
KevinShort
Addict
KevinShort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinShort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinShort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinShort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinShort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinShort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinShort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinShort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinShort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinShort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinShort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Wifi, Kobo Glo
I joined MobileRead close to a year ago, admittedly mostly for the Kobo hacking information
here. Overall, this site is just fantastic.

I spend most of my time in the Kobo and Kindle sections, especially in the dev corners.
I like these sections because of the many smart and friendly people that make it what it is.

As for improvement, I'd like to see fewer similar threads scattered throughout the various
forum sections, though I know that it's difficult to prevent.
Old 10-30-2012, 10:14 AM   #21
HomeInMyShoes
Grand Sorcerer
HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Late to the party as usual, but I am enjoying the party immensely.

Tough call for choosing a favourite section, but Reading Recommendations wins by a nose. I realize that many would probably call me out stating some silly statistic that more than 90% of my posts are in some place called The Lounge and I would be remiss in not mentioning The Lounge as perhaps the most good-natured and humorous area in the entire Internet, but in the end, I came here because I read and the recommendations section has led me to Charles Stross, Diane Duane, Haruki Murakami, Paul Auster, …

So what would make it better? Less politicking in the book clubs? But we are all passionate about the books we read, the books we want to read, and, as well, the books we don’t want to read. It's hard to fault people pushing their books over others.

Kudos to a great forum to all those involved in the creation and running of MobileRead.
Old 10-30-2012, 10:16 AM   #22
feenix1363
Lost and clueless
feenix1363 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.feenix1363 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.feenix1363 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.feenix1363 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.feenix1363 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.feenix1363 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.feenix1363 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.feenix1363 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.feenix1363 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.feenix1363 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.feenix1363 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-T1, Kobo Glo, Kindle for Andriod, Kobo for Android
Congratulations on Ten years, doesn't time fly?

Ok, favourite section? My favourite section tends to change with the ereader I'm currently using. I use the forum mostly for help and advice on my reader, so that would mean that I'd have to choose either the Sony or, now that I've a Kobo Glo, the Kobo section.

But what about the reading recommendations? I've picked up some great tips from there over the time I've been a member?

No, I'm going to choose the Calibre support section. Without Calibre and the work put in by this forums members in the support forum I'm not sure I'd have stuck with my original Sony ereader as the software was so 'clunky'. Calibre showed me that an ereader could be fun and easy to use.

So long live Calibre, and long live the whole board. You've helped to make my reading experience a joy.
Old 10-30-2012, 10:16 AM   #23
cristbo
Uno mas
cristbo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcovercristbo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcovercristbo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcovercristbo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcovercristbo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcovercristbo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcovercristbo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcovercristbo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcovercristbo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcovercristbo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcovercristbo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcover

Device: Kindle Touch, Kindle PaperWhite
Hi and Feliz Cumpleaños ;-))

Yo como nuevo usuario, me gustaría recomendar la nueva sección que se ha abierto en Mobileread. Foros en español, a la que le deseo los mejores augurios.

Un fuerte abrazo
Old 10-30-2012, 10:17 AM   #24
tlrowley
Quilt Geek
tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.

Device: Kindle
Congratulations on your 10th Birthday. Although I don't post often, I lurk here pretty much every day and value your site very highly.

My favorite forum is the Calibre forum - I really appreciate the effort Kovid and all the others make. I couldn't imagine having an e-reader without mobileread.com and Calibre.

Here's to 10 more great years!
Old 10-30-2012, 10:18 AM   #25
spindlegirl
Wizard
spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra h20, Paperwhite 2017, Phone & Tablet w Moonreader
I love the Deals and Freebies Resource section! I've discovered new reads that I otherwise wouldn't have thought of.

Happy Tenth Birthday, Mobileread!
Old 10-30-2012, 10:24 AM   #26
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Congratulations, Alex. Here's to another decade!

I can honestly say that without MR, calibre would not exist. It was here that I found a community of like minded people to help with the initial reverse engineering of the first ebook readers and formats, way back in 2006. And lots of encouragement to go on developing calibre from its humble beginnings as libprs500 Without the support and encouragement of this community, the world (for me) would be a very different place.
Old 10-30-2012, 10:27 AM   #27
Ayla7
Connoisseur
Ayla7 has rectified all his or her action issues with transformational deconfliction.Ayla7 has rectified all his or her action issues with transformational deconfliction.Ayla7 has rectified all his or her action issues with transformational deconfliction.Ayla7 has rectified all his or her action issues with transformational deconfliction.Ayla7 has rectified all his or her action issues with transformational deconfliction.Ayla7 has rectified all his or her action issues with transformational deconfliction.Ayla7 has rectified all his or her action issues with transformational deconfliction.Ayla7 has rectified all his or her action issues with transformational deconfliction.Ayla7 has rectified all his or her action issues with transformational deconfliction.Ayla7 has rectified all his or her action issues with transformational deconfliction.Ayla7 has rectified all his or her action issues with transformational deconfliction.

Device: Onyx Boox i62HD
Congratulations!!

I'm a very recent member (in fact, I registered yesterday ), but I have already found a lot of valuable information in these forums. I found this page when I was searching for information to buy my first eReader, and I love it.

I have used the search box a lot to find information about specific topics. Maybe a filtering option to find results only from a certainc forum or in a specific date range would help. EDITED: I have discovered that this is already possible, so nothing else to add

Appart from that, I'm spending most of my time in the Onyx Boox forum, but I don't have any suggestions yet.

Cheers!

Last edited by Ayla7; 10-31-2012 at 09:49 AM.
Old 10-30-2012, 10:28 AM   #28
BelleZora
Wizard
BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3, Kobo Libra 2
Congratulations on 10 years! I bought my first ereader back in March and somehow stumbled over MR in May while searching for some sort of library management software. I stayed in the Calibre forums at first. When I lost my fear of someday losing my drm-laden books, I hung out in the Reading Recommendations forums. I enjoy the Book Club and have read all winning books and some runners-up. The natural progression led me to the Book Buying Addicts Thread.

I probably spend most time now in the Deals and Freebies forum. Like others, I go to MR every morning right after pouring the heart-pumping cuppa joe. There is still too much to discover to suggest any changes or improvements.
Old 10-30-2012, 10:40 AM   #29
yhamm
Zealot
yhamm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yhamm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yhamm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yhamm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yhamm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yhamm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yhamm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yhamm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yhamm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yhamm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yhamm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo aura h20
Happy Birthday!!

My favourite is the Lounge area. There is quite a bit of silliness there and there are days when I really need the laugh.

Thanks for a great site. To many more years
Old 10-30-2012, 10:41 AM   #30
JoHunt
I am what I am
JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad3, Voyage
Congratulations on your 10 year anniversary!

I have too many favorites (as well as too many ereaders), but just wanted to thank you and everyone involved for giving us this fabulous resource.

Closed Thread