Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 12-10-2010, 09:34 PM   #1
RealAct
RealAct began at the beginning.

Device: Nook & Kindle
Calibre News VS Kindle Collections

Hello everyone; my name is Eli, I'm new here, so I use this opportunity to also introduce myself, this is a great forum, I'm really glad I found it!

I recently got my Kindle (Previously owned only a Nook) and I'm certainly loving it, I do however have a question regarding downloading and sending and organizing News items to my Kindle with Calibre.

I have configured Calibre to weekly download and send News to my Kindle, I created a new Collection on my Kindle called "News" and when I attempt to send my News to that Collection they just don't show up, Only my books will show up on the list, I'm not being able to select the actual News and send them to this collection, I wish I could do this so I don't have to scroll through so many News items while trying to browse through my actual books, is there any way to do this?

Thanks in advance!
RealAct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2010, 10:19 PM   #2
TheKindleWorm
Guru
TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Kindle 3G, iPhone 3G, iPod 4G, PB 360, Sony 600 sold, Kindle 2i sold
Hi Eli - welcome to mobileread

I am familiar with downloading news via Calibre but not a method I often use because I tend to prefer kindlefeeder.com just a personal pref thing.

How are you trying to get your feeds into your News collection? Are you not able to manually click to the right on a feed on your Kindle and assign it to a collection? Or is it that you're looking for Calibre to do this automatically for you? (Not actually sure if this is doable btw but someone should know) Just clarifying what you want to do - hopefully someone has an answer for you.
TheKindleWorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2010, 09:03 AM   #3
janvanmaar
Addict
janvanmaar has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.janvanmaar has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.janvanmaar has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.janvanmaar has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.janvanmaar has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle 3G, Samsung SIII
I think the Kindle manual states that the news cannot be organized in collections on the Kindle - it is the Kindle software restriction. They always show up in your Home. However, if you the name your feeds starts by a character such as [, they will appear as the very first items in your Home (I use this workaround on my Kindle)
janvanmaar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2010, 12:39 PM   #4
Francesco
Aficionado
Francesco will become famous soon enoughFrancesco will become famous soon enoughFrancesco will become famous soon enoughFrancesco will become famous soon enoughFrancesco will become famous soon enoughFrancesco will become famous soon enoughFrancesco will become famous soon enough

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by janvanmaar View Post
However, if you the name your feeds starts by a character such as [, they will appear as the very first items in your Home (I use this workaround on my Kindle)
That's only true when you're sorting your items by title. I sort them by collections. This way new items appear at the top of the list (after the two pages that show my 20 collections), along with those items that you read most recently.
Francesco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2010, 01:50 PM   #5
RealAct
RealAct began at the beginning.

Device: Nook & Kindle
Thanks everybody, basically this is what I'm trying to do ( and by what I have read so far it looks like it's not technically possible atm.)

When I turn on my Kindle I click on Menu then there's an option to create a new Collection, I click on that then I go to the newly created collection and click on it, then Menu again, then select "Add Items to this collection" or something around those lines, when that happens I'm not given a choice to select my "News" items to be sent to that collection.

Would kindlefeeder.com allow me to put all my feeds in a separate category under the Kindle Home?
RealAct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2010, 05:16 PM   #6
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast
Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3; Kobo Aura One; iPad Mini 5
RealAct, welcome to MobileRead! The reason why this behavior happens is because calibre has configured your Fetch News items to act just like an Amazon-purchased periodical would. It's the same with Amazon newspapers and blogs. You cannot add them to a collection. When you transfer a new calbre Fetch News item to your Kindle, you will see that the previous version is moved to the Periodicals: Back Issues just like Amazon content. Then after seven issues accumulate in Back Issues, the oldest is deleted. You can select "Keep This Issue" to prevent it from being deleted.
Bookworm_Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2010, 02:23 AM   #7
TheKindleWorm
Guru
TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Kindle 3G, iPhone 3G, iPod 4G, PB 360, Sony 600 sold, Kindle 2i sold
Quote:
Originally Posted by RealAct View Post
Thanks everybody, basically this is what I'm trying to do ( and by what I have read so far it looks like it's not technically possible atm.)

When I turn on my Kindle I click on Menu then there's an option to create a new Collection, I click on that then I go to the newly created collection and click on it, then Menu again, then select "Add Items to this collection" or something around those lines, when that happens I'm not given a choice to select my "News" items to be sent to that collection.

Would kindlefeeder.com allow me to put all my feeds in a separate category under the Kindle Home?
Yes you can store all kindlefeeder items in a collection you've made on your kindle -do this all the time. Downside is that kindlefeeder does not include images at least not in the free version where you get up to 12 feeds.But I like being able to request my feeds from anywhere with a connection to an online browser whereas Calibre is tied to my PC. This is important as i travel a lot - i am away right now and using my 3G on the Kindle again.
TheKindleWorm is offline   Reply With Quote