Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 09-27-2009, 03:10 PM   #1
franklekens
Addict
franklekens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.franklekens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.franklekens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.franklekens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.franklekens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.franklekens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.franklekens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.franklekens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.franklekens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.franklekens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.franklekens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Sage, Elipsa, Onyx Note2, Pocketbook 360, Kindle Keyboard
foreign language dictionaries

Does anyone know if Sony plans to extend the dictionary functionality of the new PRS 600 to include foreign language dictionaries? Because it's a nice feature, but I'd find it more useful to have it for languages which I can read, but only with a dictionary at hand.

And if nothing is known about this -- at least is there a forum to discuss this and/or a lobby for Sony to implement this?
franklekens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2009, 03:19 PM   #2
bavardage
Enthusiast
bavardage began at the beginning.

Device: none
I really want this feature too. I don't care so much for an english dictionary, but a german one would be hugely useful.
bavardage is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-27-2009, 04:39 PM   #3
Seventh Son
lurker
Seventh Son has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Seventh Son has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Seventh Son has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Seventh Son has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: I should probably stop
Quote:
Originally Posted by franklekens View Post
Does anyone know if Sony plans to extend the dictionary functionality of the new PRS 600 to include foreign language dictionaries?
I wouldn't hold my breath.
Seventh Son is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2009, 05:40 PM   #4
franklekens
Addict
franklekens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.franklekens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.franklekens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.franklekens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.franklekens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.franklekens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.franklekens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.franklekens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.franklekens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.franklekens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.franklekens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Sage, Elipsa, Onyx Note2, Pocketbook 360, Kindle Keyboard
Why not?
franklekens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2009, 10:24 PM   #5
quillaja
Connoisseur
quillaja began at the beginning.

Device: sony reader touch (prs-600)
cause you'd die without air
quillaja is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-27-2009, 10:38 PM   #6
eljacob
eljacob began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-700
If you go to Advanced Settings you can choose between American English, British English or None.

Everything is there, including an option to choose between different dictionaries, so I am pretty sure they will release new languages in the future...
eljacob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2009, 12:34 AM   #7
ficbot
Wizard
ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite/iOS Kindle App
I would *love* a French dictionary option. I do not need a dictionary when I read in English, but I would read a lot more in French (and choose harder books) if there were dictionaries available.
ficbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2009, 12:37 AM   #8
Seventh Son
lurker
Seventh Son has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Seventh Son has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Seventh Son has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Seventh Son has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: I should probably stop
Why would a large company like Sony go out of its way to add something new to a device that they haven't originally promised? (Unless they did of course). They would need changing the manuals, updating advertising material and retraining support stuff. It's not just about software. They're not some small company that can easily do that.
Seventh Son is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2009, 03:00 AM   #9
bavardage
Enthusiast
bavardage began at the beginning.

Well maybe if anyone ever manages to decrypt the firmware, new dictionaries will be able to be monkeypatched in. Depends how obsfucated the current dictionaries are.
bavardage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2009, 06:30 PM   #10
JoblessPirate
JoblessPirate began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-500
Japanese

A Japanese dictionary would be fantastic. OCR some manga and read some good old literature.
JoblessPirate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2009, 02:50 AM   #11
Laurentiu
Connoisseur
Laurentiu has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: iPad 2, Sony PRS-600 (no longer used)
I'd also like to see a German Duden and a French Larousse, for a start.
Even the European version sold in Germany has the Oxford British English eDictionary, which is somehow a non-sense. But, there may be some copyright issues not solved yet.
Laurentiu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2009, 12:22 PM   #12
YepYep
YepYep began at the beginning.

This is indeed one of the most disappointing features of the PRS-600. Its touchscreen is perfect for a quick look-up of a word, so why not add a German and a French dictionary, instead of 2 English dictionaries? SONY if you're reading this: Make it happen!
YepYep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2009, 12:26 PM   #13
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
yep, i am also hoping for some non-english dictionaries. i would also love to be able to install several, and have them all active (get results from more than one). it seems to me it shouldn't be so hard to add that feature ! let's hope someone will work on it.
zelda_pinwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2009, 03:46 PM   #14
advocate2
My Kingdom for Karma
advocate2 is a jewel in the roughadvocate2 is a jewel in the roughadvocate2 is a jewel in the roughadvocate2 is a jewel in the roughadvocate2 is a jewel in the roughadvocate2 is a jewel in the roughadvocate2 is a jewel in the roughadvocate2 is a jewel in the roughadvocate2 is a jewel in the roughadvocate2 is a jewel in the roughadvocate2 is a jewel in the rough

Device: Sony 350, 650, 950, Nook Color
I put my vote for Spanish-English and Portuguese-English dictionaries. A free dictionary would be nice, but I've paid Amazon for so many dictionaries, I would have no problem paying a digital dictional that functions easily on the Reader.
advocate2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2009, 03:58 PM   #15
omk3
Wizard
omk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five words

Device: pocketbook 360, kindle 4
I wonder, does anyone from sony read this thread?
We want the freedom to install dictionaries for any language we choose! Hopefully in prs-600 and not a new model, I've bought enough devices already. They don't have to be free. In fact, I would be very surprised -to say the least- if I could have one portuguese, one german, one french, one greek and one japanese (and that's for starters) dictionary for free. I just need to be able to do it. Pleaaaaase!
Will they hear us if we all shout at once do you think?
omk3 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dictionary, firmware