Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Fire

Notices

Old 11-17-2011, 05:11 AM   #31
Blog Kindle
Addict
Blog Kindle knows what's going on.Blog Kindle knows what's going on.Blog Kindle knows what's going on.Blog Kindle knows what's going on.Blog Kindle knows what's going on.Blog Kindle knows what's going on.Blog Kindle knows what's going on.Blog Kindle knows what's going on.Blog Kindle knows what's going on.Blog Kindle knows what's going on.Blog Kindle knows what's going on.

Device: Kindle 1/2/3/4/Touch/DX/Fire|PRS-600/350|Nook(color)|iPad|iPad2|EVO 4G
My 5 cents on Kindle Fire...
Blog Kindle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 08:15 AM   #32
xari
Kindle Obsessed.
xari got an A in P-Chem.xari got an A in P-Chem.xari got an A in P-Chem.xari got an A in P-Chem.xari got an A in P-Chem.xari got an A in P-Chem.xari got an A in P-Chem.xari got an A in P-Chem.xari got an A in P-Chem.xari got an A in P-Chem.xari got an A in P-Chem.

Device: K3, K4, Kindle Fire.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCION View Post
Give us an update on the screen protector.
Sorry! I'd meant to update this last night, but I still too busy salivating over my Fire and downloading/sideloading apps. (I am *seriously* in love with this baby!)

Anyway, I have a long-haired cat at home, so I ended up having to wait to install the screen protector at work yesterday noon.

I'm glad I bought the Generiks pack with the choice (it has 2 clear and 2 matte) because, holding them up to the florescents, I could tell I'd prefer the clear.

The clear protector went on fairly easily; I had to use the little squeegee thing to prevent air bubbles, but otherwise no problems.

I'm really happy with how it looks. I can't tell it's there unless I really look for the edges and it doesn't hold back any of the brilliance of the screen/colors/etc. It just does what I was looking for it to do: cut down on some of the glare from external light sources and make it a little easier to clean off fingerprints.

I'm not experiencing any problems with it affecting my swiping/selecting abilities either; if anything, I think selecting items from the carousel is a little easier now.

All in all, I'd recommend the clear Generiks.

(Plus, they're not that expensive, so they can be a good holdover if anyone is waiting for their favorite brand to make protectors available for the Fire. )
xari is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-17-2011, 08:26 AM   #33
monkeyluis
Banned
monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad "3", Kindle Touch, Kindle Fire, iPhone 4S
You know I don't use any screen protectors anymore on any of my devices. With the gorilla glass as tough as it is I trust it. I just don't want anything obstructing the beautiful screen. LOl... I guess for the glare I could see using them. But I read indoors most of the time. Plus when we are out in brighter environment I notice that turning up the brightness is sufficient.
monkeyluis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 01:34 PM   #34
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
I'm putting a screen protector on mine. I hope it helps with glare issues and brightness issues. They shipped my cover which comes with a protector yesterday. Can't beat that for less then $10.

I find the screen too bright! I have it turn all the way down but in the dark it's blinding! I've given up on the Kindle Reader it's just too bright at night for me to read. I really like it and could use it if I didn't have that problem.

Mantano works just fine it has it own brightness settings so I can get the screen as dark as I need while reading, of course going back to Mantano's library screen it's blinding with all that white!

I have no complaints with the Fire then that and it's never ending carousel. It does what I need it to do. So I'm very happy with it.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 01:36 PM   #35
SCION
Séduisant
SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note Air2+; Kobo Libra2; Kindle Scribe, Oasis3; iPad Mini6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blossom View Post

I have no complaints with the Fire then that and it's never ending carousel. It does what I need it to do. So I'm very happy with it.
I'm glad you're not reading on that phone anymore!
SCION is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-17-2011, 01:39 PM   #36
covfam
Addict
covfam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covfam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covfam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covfam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covfam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covfam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covfam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covfam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covfam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covfam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covfam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Ipod Touch,Ipad3,Kindle fire, Samsung Galaxy tab, Samsung Galaxy S3
ive found that a good screen protector doesnt show finger prints or smudges nearly as much as without.
covfam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 01:57 PM   #37
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
They shipped my cover which comes with a protector yesterday. Can't beat that for less then $10.
Really good price! I looked at screen protectors when in Best Buy yesterday. They didn't have much of anything related to eReader accessories and what they had was scattered to the four winds. the only sales guy was talking on the phone so no help there. But I did see some screen protectors for the NookColor. Ouch they wanted between $20 and $30 depending on which one you bought! No non-glare ones though, only the clear and I doubt the clear will help the glare that much though they will surely help with the fingerprints. I liked the non-glare one I had on my NookColor, so I might go to B&N and see if they still have them. They will be small as the NC doesn't have the glass covering the bezel like the Fire.
Old 11-17-2011, 01:57 PM   #38
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCION View Post
I'm glad you're not reading on that phone anymore!
Me too although hubby and I had tug or war. He showed no interested in the Fire till bed time and when I was setting up Mantano he suddenly want to play Drag Racing on it!

I told him he can play with the Fire before bed but I bought this for bed time reading. He told me to use my phone.

So I had to let him play with it for 15 Minutes then had to demand it back. *sigh*
Old 11-17-2011, 02:14 PM   #39
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
Me too although hubby and I had tug or war. He showed no interested in the Fire till bed time and when I was setting up Mantano he suddenly want to play Drag Racing on it!

I told him he can play with the Fire before bed but I bought this for bed time reading. He told me to use my phone.

So I had to let him play with it for 15 Minutes then had to demand it back. *sigh*
I played with Mantano a bit last night for reading ePubs. I really like all the options and formatting. However, every font I selected had the letters at various heights. none were aligned horizontally correct. I know some fonts are designed to display this way, but all of them? It is very distracting to my eyes--yes I know, a bit OCD. But having the bottom of the letters at various heights was really distracting. Is this normal or was Fire not running Mantano correctly?
Old 11-17-2011, 02:18 PM   #40
Blossom
Treasure Seeker

Quote:
Originally Posted by jswinden View Post
I played with Mantano a bit last night for reading ePubs. I really like all the options and formatting. However, every font I selected had the letters at various heights. none were aligned horizontally correct. I know some fonts are designed to display this way, but all of them? It is very distracting to my eyes--yes I know, a bit OCD. But having the bottom of the letters at various heights was really distracting. Is this normal or was Fire not running Mantano correctly?
It's the fonts they choose. Try using the Amasis one that I use on my Kindle. It's looks great! Of course this will only work if the epub is set to not use any other font in the CSS sheet. I modify mine before adding them on there. Keep in mind they haven't fixed the bold or italics it will still show in the default font but other then that it works great!
Old 11-17-2011, 03:20 PM   #41
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
It's the fonts they choose. Try using the Amasis one that I use on my Kindle. It's looks great! Of course this will only work if the epub is set to not use any other font in the CSS sheet. I modify mine before adding them on there. Keep in mind they haven't fixed the bold or italics it will still show in the default font but other then that it works great!
It doesn't have the Amasis font. I have the free or trial version though so it might be scaled down, or did you load extra fonts? If you can use your own fonts then I can modify it like I did my K3 and K4 to use the one you sent me.
Old 11-17-2011, 03:24 PM   #42
xari
Kindle Obsessed.
xari got an A in P-Chem.xari got an A in P-Chem.xari got an A in P-Chem.xari got an A in P-Chem.xari got an A in P-Chem.xari got an A in P-Chem.xari got an A in P-Chem.xari got an A in P-Chem.xari got an A in P-Chem.xari got an A in P-Chem.xari got an A in P-Chem.

Quote:
I find the screen too bright! I have it turn all the way down but in the dark it's blinding! I've given up on the Kindle Reader it's just too bright at night for me to read. I really like it and could use it if I didn't have that problem.
For the most part--during the day--I've been fine with the brightness of the screen, but I did install that Screen Filter app that jswinden recommended and find that it helps cut down on the brightness quite a bit for using my Fire at night.
Old 11-17-2011, 04:06 PM   #43
Blossom
Treasure Seeker

Quote:
Originally Posted by jswinden View Post
It doesn't have the Amasis font. I have the free or trial version though so it might be scaled down, or did you load extra fonts? If you can use your own fonts then I can modify it like I did my K3 and K4 to use the one you sent me.
Yes you can sideload fonts they go in Mantano\Fonts folder. That's what I meant. The one I use on my K4 is the one I use on Mantano it's a modified version Amasis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by xari View Post
For the most part--during the day--I've been fine with the brightness of the screen, but I did install that Screen Filter app that jswinden recommended and find that it helps cut down on the brightness quite a bit for using my Fire at night.
I have it but it makes everything too washed out in the dark Works fine in light but in the dark it messes with my eyes.
Old 11-17-2011, 04:09 PM   #44
xari
Kindle Obsessed.

Quote:
I have it but it makes everything too washed out in the dark Works fine in light but in the dark it messes with my eyes.
That's too bad. For me it's the opposite. It works well for me at night, but not during the day.

Well, hopefully you'll find another app or a protector that'll work for you. Good luck.
Old 11-17-2011, 04:12 PM   #45
Blossom
Treasure Seeker

Quote:
Originally Posted by xari View Post
That's too bad. For me it's the opposite. It works well for me at night, but not during the day.

Well, hopefully you'll find another app or a protector that'll work for you. Good luck.
Thanks I will just use Mantano for now. It has collections.
I hope they fix the brightness issue because I really like the Kindle Reader app minus it's lack of collections.