Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 07-13-2011, 03:54 PM   #1
SensualPoet
Wizard
SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Kindle Paperwhite, Asus ZenPad 3, Kobo Glo
WSJ: Amazon to Release Tablet, Two new Kindles, in October

Amazon will release a 9" Android tablet and two new Kindles, one touch, one not, in October.

Quote:
Amazon.com Inc. plans to introduce a tablet computer before October, said people familiar with the matter, in a move that will heighten the online retailer's rivalry with Apple Inc.

The Seattle-based company will also release two updated versions of its popular Kindle electronic reader in the third quarter of the year, the people said. One will be a touch-screen device. The other won't have a touch screen, but will be an improved and cheaper adaptation of the current Kindle, said people who have seen the device.

The Amazon tablet will have a roughly nine-inch screen, people familiar with the product said, and will run on Google Inc.'s Android operating system. The online retailer isn't designing the device itself, but is outsourcing production to an Asian manufacturer, these people said.
http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1000...058153874.html

Amazon releases Q2 earnings results on July 26th.
SensualPoet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011, 04:00 PM   #2
SCION
Séduisant
SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note Air2+; Kobo Libra2; Kindle Scribe, Oasis3; iPad Mini6
Bye, bye NOOKtouch. Keeping my Kobo though. Might have to get rid of the NOOKcolor as well. Can't wait!!! Been envious of you guys with Whispersync.
SCION is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-13-2011, 04:11 PM   #3
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
9" tablet? Looks like my Nook Color is safe.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011, 04:12 PM   #4
orange!
Born to be wild
orange! ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orange! ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orange! ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orange! ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orange! ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orange! ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orange! ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orange! ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orange! ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orange! ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orange! ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle K3 wi-fi, Nexus 7 + Aldiko
Wow, interesting. I loved the touch screen on my Nook STR but I returned it because it just didn't do some things as well as my K3. If there's a K4 touch, with the best of both the STR and the K3, well, I'll be a happy reader.

Also interested to see what their tablet is going to look like. I'm mighty tempted by the Toshiba Thrive. But I really can't justify the expense.
orange! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011, 04:14 PM   #5
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Why is it the article had to go and flush itself down the toilet in the last paragraph by printing guessing games with sales figures? That was just a stupid thing to do. I don't care who it was that did the guessing and how respected they may be. Without sales figures released, any such thing is just a guess and should not have been put in the article.

Last edited by JSWolf; 07-13-2011 at 04:17 PM.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-13-2011, 04:18 PM   #6
Anarel
Evangelist
Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.

Device: K1, GKDX, K3
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
The K4 won't handle ePub worth a damn. So if you want to read ePub, stay clear of the K4.
I was wondering when you'd turn up.

Orange! STILL has a Kindle- and returned your beloved epub reading device-, so unless this K4 detonates upon removal from the Amazon packaging, they seem perfectly fine with the Kindle as a platform and an e-reader.

As to the article, I'm still against touch-screen on an e-reader for me... unless they really REALLY make it useful as opposed to just gimmicky.

Last edited by Anarel; 07-13-2011 at 04:20 PM. Reason: spelling, etc
Anarel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011, 04:22 PM   #7
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anarel View Post

Orange! STILL has a Kindle- and returned your beloved epub reading device-, so unless this K4 detonates upon removal from the Amazon packaging, they seem perfectly fine with the Kindle as a platform and an e-reader.

As to the article, I'm still against touch-screen on an e-reader for me... unless they really REALLY make it useful as opposed to just gimmicky.
I edited that message and you just happened to catch it mid edit. So can you please go back and edit you message to remove your message as it's not really valid any more?
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011, 04:26 PM   #8
orange!
Born to be wild
orange! ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orange! ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orange! ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orange! ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orange! ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orange! ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orange! ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orange! ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orange! ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orange! ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orange! ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle K3 wi-fi, Nexus 7 + Aldiko
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anarel View Post
Quote:
The K4 won't handle ePub worth a damn. So if you want to read ePub, stay clear of the K4.

Sounds like maybe I've stepped into a topic with some background.

I don't "read epub", I read books. I've heard the argument that mobi is inferior to epub, but mobi seems to be adequate for the type of reading I do (mostly fiction and non-fiction ).

I care more about the attributes of the device than about the formats it supports. I'm sure my opinion isn't shared by everyone, and that's okay with me too.
orange! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011, 04:33 PM   #9
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I don't care which format my ereader handles (AZW or EPUB), because my books are available in both. Right now I'm using AZW, but I could easily switch to EPUB.
Old 07-13-2011, 04:35 PM   #10
SCION
Séduisant
SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note Air2+; Kobo Libra2; Kindle Scribe, Oasis3; iPad Mini6
Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
I don't care which format my ereader handles (AZW or EPUB), because my books are available in both. Right now I'm using AZW, but I could easily switch to EPUB.
Except my stuff is ePub now. Regardless, all purchased books will be "set free".
SCION is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011, 04:51 PM   #11
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCION View Post
Except my stuff is ePub now. Regardless, all purchased books will be "set free".
My books are free, so all I have to do is download them in the appropriate format.
Old 07-13-2011, 04:54 PM   #12
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011, 06:34 PM   #13
=X=
Wizard
=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy S, Nook w/CM7
Quote:
You must have suffered a recent head trama so I will try to help you out.

Here in MR you MUST pick a format and staunchly support that format. Not only that, you must spread FUD on opposing formats and companies that support such inferior formats.

To say you are format agnostic is unacceptable and will be grounds for your account to be disabled.

Now that you have been reprogrammed...you may proceed.
=X=
=X= is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011, 06:35 PM   #14
SensualPoet
Wizard
SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Kindle Paperwhite, Asus ZenPad 3, Kobo Glo
Quote:
Why is it the article had to go and flush itself down the toilet in the last paragraph by printing guessing games with sales figures?
The article I read was about the release of an Amazon branded 9" Android tablet and two "next gen" Kindles -- one e-ink with buttons, one e-ink touch. The tablet was not positioned in any way as an "ereader" but, in fact, as a multimedia device -- so it's not directly positioned against the Nook Color.

I am guessing at this point, but it sounded like the "button" e-ink ereader might come in somewhere around $99 -- maybe with less features than the Kindle with Special Offers at $114 -- and the touch edition somewhere around the $139 mark. Shipping in the third quarter probably means something like Sep 1, with the tablet to follow in time for holiday shopping.

I expect we will hear more direct from Amazon on or before July 26th.
SensualPoet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011, 06:47 PM   #15
elemenoP
Wizard
elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Sony 650
what's magic about July 26?

eP
elemenoP is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
amazon, kindle, tablet, touch