Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK

Notices

Old 06-15-2011, 05:37 PM   #1
RealAct
RealAct began at the beginning.

Device: Nook & Kindle
The Touch Screen page turning is annoying!

I love my new NOOK touch, however I definitely hate the touch screen page turning, it's very annoying, I tend to put my fingers on top of the screen a lot causing unwanted/unrequested and unexpected page turns which I have not intended, I think this is a MUST HAVE feature, so the user can decide whether to enable or disable the page turnings or at least make it so that only happens when you touch a specific area of the screen away from the middle or bottom edges of the screen.

An option to ONLY make page turning possible through the hardware keys should be enable, this would make this device perfect IMHO.
RealAct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2011, 06:36 PM   #2
afv011
Captain Penguin
afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Nook Glowlight
Quote:
Originally Posted by RealAct View Post
I love my new NOOK touch, however I definitely hate the touch screen page turning, it's very annoying, I tend to put my fingers on top of the screen a lot causing unwanted/unrequested and unexpected page turns which I have not intended, I think this is a MUST HAVE feature, so the user can decide whether to enable or disable the page turnings or at least make it so that only happens when you touch a specific area of the screen away from the middle or bottom edges of the screen.

An option to ONLY make page turning possible through the hardware keys should be enable, this would make this device perfect IMHO.
I see your point, but the problem with that is that other features would stop working, like dictionary look-up, bookmarking, highlighting, ... You could always suggest it on the B&N forum and see if they go for it.
afv011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-15-2011, 06:39 PM   #3
Zarich
Zealot
Zarich can extract oil from cheeseZarich can extract oil from cheeseZarich can extract oil from cheeseZarich can extract oil from cheeseZarich can extract oil from cheeseZarich can extract oil from cheeseZarich can extract oil from cheeseZarich can extract oil from cheeseZarich can extract oil from cheese

Device: Kindle 3 Wi-Fi
I had the same issue with my Nook color. But my prob was I would hold the side and my finger would lightly touch the screen causing a page turn.. sometimes two.
Zarich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2011, 06:45 PM   #4
SCION
Séduisant
SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note Air2+; Kobo Libra2; Kindle Scribe, Oasis3; iPad Mini6
Are you using a cover with the device?
SCION is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2011, 07:38 PM   #5
Japes
Addict
Japes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Japes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Japes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Japes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Japes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Japes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Japes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Japes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Japes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Japes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Japes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-350,Sony PRS-950,Pocketbook 360+,B&N Nook Simple Touch Reader
I've read two books on it already and haven't had a single "accidental" page turn. The bezel is thick enough where I can't see why it would happen, unless you have enormous fingers.
Japes is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-15-2011, 07:42 PM   #6
RealAct
RealAct began at the beginning.

Device: Nook & Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by afv011 View Post
I see your point, but the problem with that is that other features would stop working, like dictionary look-up, bookmarking, highlighting, ... You could always suggest it on the B&N forum and see if they go for it.
Hey there afv01, I must say that I love every single bit of the touch functionality except for the page turning one, it's not hard to program at all trust me, they don't need to disable any of the other touch features, just enable a new one to make page turning by hardware keys only and make it OPTIONAL for the user to take advantage of it or not, ask anyone who knows about programming, not hard to implement at all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCION View Post
Are you using a cover with the device?
Hello SCION, no, I do not have a cover on my NOOK, I do have big hands though lol, and I don't know why but I just happen to touch the screen close the edges a lot, I really like the device, so it's a shame for me.
RealAct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2011, 08:24 PM   #7
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
I agree with RealAct. Disabling touchscreen page navigation would be a nice option, maybe even disabling all the touchy stuff with an easily accessed toggle (e.g. touch and hold in a corner of the screen). It would be similar to orientation lock on a tablet device that would otherwise automatically change orientation. Once you are into reading mode, all you need are the physical page nav buttons and Home button (which would restore touchability to the UI).

Accidental page turns are a regular 'feature' when reading on my iPod Touch, but there's no reason Nook Touch can't do better, given it has dedicated page turn buttons.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2011, 08:28 PM   #8
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Hello SCION, no, I do not have a cover on my NOOK, I do have big hands though lol, and I don't know why but I just happen to touch the screen close the edges a lot, I really like the device, so it's a shame for me.
Before I had a touch screen reader, I found having a cover made holding the reader easier. Now that I have a 650, then cover does make holding it easier. So get a cover and you might find holding it easier. But if you do get a cover, get one that when folded back stick out on the right side. That will give you more room to hold before you come to the screen.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011, 11:39 AM   #9
Pomtroll
Guru
Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 350, Sony T1, Kindle Touch, Kindle PW1
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Before I had a touch screen reader, I found having a cover made holding the reader easier. Now that I have a 650, then cover does make holding it easier. So get a cover and you might find holding it easier. But if you do get a cover, get one that when folded back stick out on the right side. That will give you more room to hold before you come to the screen.
I agree with JSWolf. I have a small Sony prs350. Having a cover makes it easier to hold without touching the screen. Plus after a short time I found it easy to read & not touch the screen accidentally. Not saying it never happens but with the cover it is seldom.
Pomtroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2011, 12:20 PM   #10
beeftv
beeftv began at the beginning.

Device: kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Japes View Post
I've read two books on it already and haven't had a single "accidental" page turn. The bezel is thick enough where I can't see why it would happen, unless you have enormous fingers.
Congratulations. Why are you telling us?

Do you also go tell people with allergies about how you aren't affected at all?

Really, what a useless comment dude.
beeftv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2011, 08:33 PM   #11
Dopedangel
Wizard
Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boyue
Quote:

Root then use coolreader as your reader. It allows you to set different parts of the screen as touch buttons so you can disable the portion of the screen you keep touching or disable it all.
Dopedangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 02:16 PM   #12
RHWright
Addict
RHWright ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RHWright ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RHWright ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RHWright ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RHWright ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RHWright ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RHWright ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RHWright ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RHWright ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RHWright ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RHWright ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: NOOK ST, Nexus 7
I would agree that additional options for touch and button configurations would be a nice firmware upgrade. I don't think you could entirely eliminate touch sensitivity, even from the reading screen, as the functions are so touch-driven.

Within the reading screen, maybe an option to set touch sensitivity to be only within the selected margins? Then you can set the margins pretty wide (to avoid accidental page turns) but still have full access to all the other touch functions (search, lookup, etc).

Personally I'd also like the option to set both right hand buttons as the page forward buttons and both left buttons as page back. Instead of just the two options we have now.
RHWright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 07:00 PM   #13
Mycopsycho
Mycopsycho will become famous soon enoughMycopsycho will become famous soon enoughMycopsycho will become famous soon enoughMycopsycho will become famous soon enoughMycopsycho will become famous soon enoughMycopsycho will become famous soon enough

Device: Kindle 3, Nook Simple Touch Reader
Quote:
Originally Posted by beeftv View Post

Come on, dude! Personal attacks like this are totally unnecessary and immature and often discourage people from posting on forums like this. Japes comment was a legitimate response to the OP.
Mycopsycho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 09:35 PM   #14
melmac
Wizard
melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS650, Sony T3
Quote:
Originally Posted by beeftv View Post

You thought a personal attack would make a good first post
melmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2011, 10:57 AM   #15
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Moderator Notice

His disagreeable tone has been addressed with a PM. Let's move on, please.

Don
(Moderator)
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote