Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 01-22-2011, 02:31 PM   #16
Sandra Edwards
Queen of Procrastination
Sandra Edwards once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Sandra Edwards once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Sandra Edwards once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Sandra Edwards once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Sandra Edwards once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Sandra Edwards once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Sandra Edwards once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Sandra Edwards once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Sandra Edwards once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Sandra Edwards once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Sandra Edwards once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: K2, K3, Fire
Raw meat? No! Yuck!
Sandra Edwards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2011, 03:00 PM   #17
phenomshel
ZCD BombShel
phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, STB Kindle Oasis
I like raw meatloaf mixture, and would probably love steak tartare (as my raw meatloaf mix is pretty close already), but a steady diet of it? No, probably not. When I order steak, I order it medium rare, but I like my hamburgers cooked through.
phenomshel is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-22-2011, 07:29 PM   #18
nohmi2
Pensively observing.
nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Varied.
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Yes, the primary reason for cooking meat is to kill the nasty bacteria that lurk therein. You're taking a big chance by eating raw meat.

Seconded. Yuck to raw meat.

Cheers
nohmi2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2011, 08:06 PM   #19
lene1949
Wizard
lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle paper white
I eat marinated fish, like Herrings, but I don't know if they're classified as raw. I also taste things like rissole mince and liverwurst for seasoning before cooking (very small taste)...

I like my steak cooked medium, maybe medium rare if it's really good quality.

The show I watched was called wife swap, I think... One family only ate raw food.. They grew/raised it all themselves.. They believed in bacteria, so didn't clean their house... Just watching made me sick, but I was also intrigued, and started looking around the web.
lene1949 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 05:05 AM   #20
SolRaven
Wizard
SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara, Voyage, Oasis, Paperwhite & PRS-650
Quote:
Originally Posted by beppe View Post
Steak tartare is a classic brasserie food. The name comes from putting pieces of meat under the saddle to make it tender ... Mustard, lemon juice, a raw egg, raw onions, capers, ketchup, you name it you can have it.

Than we use thin slices of beef, but very thin, seasoned with oil and lemon juice and maybe accompanied by slivers of Parmesan. We call this carpaccio.
Mmmmm... I love love LOVE beef carpaccio. I can only imagine beef tartare to be just as delish.
SolRaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-23-2011, 05:25 AM   #21
beppe
Grand Sorcerer
beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle3, Ipod4, IPad2
Apparently, eating raw meat is considered youcchhh on this site ...
It is obviously a cultural thing. In my part of the country it is very much appreciated (we have a favorable climate, well established culinary traditions, good wines, good meats, all what is needed to enjoy food and the company of friends in the house and at the restaurant).

Just to tickle curiosities, I am posting a very traditional recipe of it, from our leading national paper. Both in the original Italian and in the translated version.
beppe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 05:28 AM   #22
beppe
Grand Sorcerer
beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SolRaven View Post
Mmmmm... I love love LOVE beef carpaccio. I can only imagine beef tartare to be just as delish.
Good to see this SolRaven I would have made a different post if I had seen it a couple of minutes before posting.
Old 01-23-2011, 05:46 AM   #23
SolRaven
Wizard
SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara, Voyage, Oasis, Paperwhite & PRS-650
Quote:
Good to see this SolRaven I would have made a different post if I had seen it a couple of minutes before posting.
I only have one gripe with beef carpaccio; the proportions are too small. I have do a double order just to nip the hunger. I have noticed that when I eat carpaccio or sushi, I start craving it more. Just reading this post is making my stomach grumble.
SolRaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 11:33 AM   #24
astra
The Introvert
astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-650 & 505 & 500
I think in the UK you won't be able to order raw meat in restaurants. It is against law because it is potentially a dangerous food.
Not all types of meat are allowed or considered to be safe eat raw. As far as I know beef and lamb are the only ones.
I think there are many grades of meat rawness.
Raw or Tartare steak is raw...then there is next level, don't remember the name. Only after that comes rare steak. Rare steak is allowed to be served in the UK, this grade of rawness is presumably safe and only if it is beef or lamb.

I could be wrong. I discussed it with my colleague one day. I said I love rare rib-eyed steaks or medium rare lamb steaks in wine souse they serve in Sizzlers. I told him that I think all English love rare steaks, that it is almost a national dish. How wrong was I! He said no way, mentioned tartar steaks (the first time I head the name) and said it came to the UK from Europe. English people like well coocked meat. So, I had to google and I read about it a few months ago.
astra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 12:15 PM   #25
beppe
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by astra View Post
I think in the UK you won't be able to order raw meat in restaurants. It is against law because it is potentially a dangerous food.
Not all types of meat are allowed or considered to be safe eat raw. As far as I know beef and lamb are the only ones.
Raw or Tartare steak is raw...then there is next level, don't remember the name. Only after that comes rare steak. Rare steak is allowed to be served in the UK, this grade of rawness is presumably safe and only if it is beef or lamb.

I could be wrong. I discussed it with my colleague one day. I said I love rare rib-eyed steaks or medium rare lamb steaks in wine souse they serve in Sizzlers. I told him that I think all English love rare steaks, that it is almost a national dish. How wrong was I! He said no way, mentioned tartar steaks (the first time I head the name) and said it came to the UK from Europe. English people like well coocked meat. So, I had to google and I read about it a few months ago.
I love that no end. It is so wonderful. Breathing also is quite dangerous, as each breath will take us closer to our end ... At least me to mine, don't know about others ...
Old 01-23-2011, 12:21 PM   #26
pholy
Booklegger
pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BeBook(1 & 2010), PEZ, PRS-505, Kobo BT, PRS-T1, Playbook, Kobo Touch
Quote:
I love that no end. It is so wonderful. Breathing also is quite dangerous, as each breath will take us closer to our end ... At least me to mine, don't know about others ...
Only astronauts leave this world alive, and even that is usually just temporary.
pholy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 12:38 PM   #27
bjones6416
↓↓ Skirt!! Earrings!!
bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Acer netbook, JetBook Lite, Sony PRS-300, Kindle 2, Kindle Fire
Quote:

That is great!

In all fairness, though, I don't believe that the food supply here in the U.S. in terms of eating raw meat IS particularly safe, unless you are able to access it as KK describes. I think perhaps in Europe you are possibly a little closer to your food supply, and tend to shop more locally? Not being very well-travelled, I may be wrong in this though...

I can say that I don't know anybody in my immediate area that shops for each meal, unless it's a special occasion or something. Most of the people that I'm acquainted with shop weekly or less, and then most often from supermarket chains.
bjones6416 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 12:43 PM   #28
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by astra View Post
There are certainly very strict hygiene requirements. I don't know if it's outright banned, though.

Quote:
The "rawest" grade of steak you can order in a good restaurant is "blue". That's where it's seared on the outside, but raw inside. Many restaurants won't serve steak "blue" though, again because of the hygiene risks.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 12:46 PM   #29
astra
The Introvert
astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-650 & 505 & 500
Quote:
I found the Degree of cooking
astra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 12:57 PM   #30
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
A quick Google search, astra, reveals that numerous British restaurants have steak tartare on the menu, so it does appear that it is permitted. Eg:

http://www.cote-restaurants.co.uk/food_menu.html
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote