Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Astak EZReader

Notices

Old 10-29-2009, 11:41 PM   #1
Xerxes
Addict
Xerxes has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Astak EZReader, Pocket Pro
PP - Minor Issues

So I sent one back because their was a particle of ink in the screen. I loved it besides that. So I get another one. Screen flawless. Like someone else once said, I'm not sending it back. But....

My battery life is horrible. Instead of locking, do I need to turn it off every night. I normally just lock it and go to sleep so it's ready the next day. I thought it was said no juice is being used unless the page is turned? Am I missing something here?

I bought my mom a 6" EZ Reader and her's barely gets locked; always on. Just "on" for the past two and half weeks almost. She appears to be reading as much as I have if not more. Now she's lost 1 notch on the battery since then. Sounds awesome to me. Now, I've had my Pocket Pro back for a little over a week and already had to recharge it cause it was on the last notch. I did the 12 hour charge on both of them.

The other thing is my SD card sticks out. Not much, but enough for me to say, "hey that's not flush against the overall unit".

I bought like 10 books and I've already started on one and I'm quiet enjoying myself. So I don't think I'll be sending it back cause the week and some change felt a bit much. May have to get accustomed to off and on.
Xerxes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2009, 10:30 AM   #2
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Is the battery really running down (meaning it shuts down) or does the gauge just need to be calibrated? After a few charges it should calibrate itself, hopefully. It seems to take a little more juice than the 6" but should last for several weeks.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2009, 11:01 AM   #3
ekaser
Opinion Artiste
ekaser has a propeller beanie that spins backward.ekaser has a propeller beanie that spins backward.ekaser has a propeller beanie that spins backward.ekaser has a propeller beanie that spins backward.ekaser has a propeller beanie that spins backward.ekaser has a propeller beanie that spins backward.ekaser has a propeller beanie that spins backward.ekaser has a propeller beanie that spins backward.ekaser has a propeller beanie that spins backward.ekaser has a propeller beanie that spins backward.ekaser has a propeller beanie that spins backward.

Device: Nexus 5, Nexus 7, Kindle Touch, Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xerxes View Post
I bought my mom a 6" EZ Reader and her's barely gets locked; always on. Just "on" for the past two and half weeks almost. She appears to be reading as much as I have if not more. Now she's lost 1 notch on the battery since then. Sounds awesome to me.

The other thing is my SD card sticks out. Not much, but enough for me to say, "hey that's not flush against the overall unit".
Try copying your books over USB to the internal memory and remove the SD card. I suspect you'll find that you'll be getting MUCH longer battery life. I'm in the middle of an experiment. I was getting only 4-5 days before mine was down to 2 or even 1 bar. I moved a few books to the internal memory and removed the SD card, and I'm now starting my 8th day with the battery still at 4 bars. I suspect that the SD card is not powered down (if the hardware is even capable of that) when the keyboard is locked, and continues to draw power 24 hours a day. Of course, some SD cards will draw more or less power than others. Follow this thread for more details:

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=60413
ekaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2009, 12:11 PM   #4
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I have an SD card in mine and it has gone more than a week without losing a single bar.
Old 10-30-2009, 12:24 PM   #5
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
I charged on Sunday (plus a few minutes of USB test connect attempts) and only use a 4G SD card. Still 4 bars and I am on my 3rd epub book . I lock my screen when I close the cover.
theducks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2009, 01:04 PM   #6
Xerxes
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleDe View Post
I have an SD card in mine and it has gone more than a week without losing a single bar.
He maybe on to something. This freaking card is a Class 6. I think in the manual it said go no higher than a Class 4. I didn't think it had energy ramifications but that's very well possible.

I was heading to fry's anyways.

I am on my third 12 hour charge as of last night. We'll see how it goes.
Old 10-30-2009, 01:08 PM   #7
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
He maybe on to something. This freaking card is a Class 6. I think in the manual it said go no higher than a Class 4. I didn't think it had energy ramifications but that's very well possible.

SD card "classes" are backward-compatible, so any class 6 card should work just fine in a class 4 device.

However, I agree that trying a different card is an excellent idea.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2009, 01:21 PM   #8
Xerxes
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
SD card "classes" are backward-compatible, so any class 6 card should work just fine in a class 4 device.

However, I agree that trying a different card is an excellent idea.
I know the classes are BC but I wonder, Class 6 cards wouldn't draw more power would they. I really wouldn't think so cause it's not transferring files or anything. But yes, different brand and lower class we'll try.

Edit: Also it's a Micro SDHC in a SD convert cart. <shrug> I'll get a full SD too.
Old 10-30-2009, 01:41 PM   #9
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:

I am using a "Patriot" class 6 4G card from Fry's Palo Alto
1 week of lots of reading, easy.
Old 10-30-2009, 01:43 PM   #10
Chiron
Fantasy & SciFi Reader
Chiron has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Chiron has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Chiron has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Astak EZ Reader Pocket Pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
I am using a "Patriot" class 6 4G card from Fry's Palo Alto
1 week of lots of reading, easy.
Kingstone 16GB Class 4 and the PP would last 10-12 days reading an overall of 2-4 hours at day (or more or less 6-8 books of 300-400 pages)
Chiron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2009, 03:22 PM   #11
ekaser
Opinion Artiste
ekaser has a propeller beanie that spins backward.ekaser has a propeller beanie that spins backward.ekaser has a propeller beanie that spins backward.ekaser has a propeller beanie that spins backward.ekaser has a propeller beanie that spins backward.ekaser has a propeller beanie that spins backward.ekaser has a propeller beanie that spins backward.ekaser has a propeller beanie that spins backward.ekaser has a propeller beanie that spins backward.ekaser has a propeller beanie that spins backward.ekaser has a propeller beanie that spins backward.

Device: Nexus 5, Nexus 7, Kindle Touch, Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleDe View Post
What brand and model is your SD card, Dale? Thanks!
ekaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2009, 03:56 PM   #12
polly
Evangelist
polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS 650, PocketBook 360, Astak PocketPro (RIP), Tungsten T3
If you're looking for more data, mine appears to also have the battery problem. I had a full charge Monday morning, four bars showing this morning and it was completely dead this afternoon. I had the Team Elite SD card that came with in most of the time. I read about 100 pages during the week and played a little with different formats.

Do you think that reading off the SD card might increase battery usage? If your theory is correct, would reading off the internal memory with SD card inserted still cause the battery to drain faster? For this round, I'll try it without an SD card and let you know what sort of battery life I have.
polly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2009, 06:03 PM   #13
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ekaser View Post
What brand and model is your SD card, Dale? Thanks!
Mine is currently an old Dane-Elec I had laying around, 256 MegByte. I didn't get one with my EZ Reader so I use the same one on both my 6" and 5" devices.
Old 10-30-2009, 07:34 PM   #14
oncdoc
Addict
oncdoc has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.oncdoc has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.oncdoc has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.oncdoc has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: kindle, pocket pro
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by polly View Post
If you're looking for more data, mine appears to also have the battery problem. I had a full charge Monday morning, four bars showing this morning and it was completely dead this afternoon. I had the Team Elite SD card that came with in most of the time. I read about 100 pages during the week and played a little with different formats.

Do you think that reading off the SD card might increase battery usage? If your theory is correct, would reading off the internal memory with SD card inserted still cause the battery to drain faster? For this round, I'll try it without an SD card and let you know what sort of battery life I have.

rob, or someone from the company should answer the question whether we can save battery reading from sd card.
oncdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2009, 07:48 PM   #15
theducks
Well trained by Cats

Quote:
Originally Posted by polly View Post

How many Discharge-Charge cycles have you been through?
It take 3 or 4 to settle out the "meter".