Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK

Notices

Old 01-15-2014, 09:59 AM   #1
mgmueller
Member Retired
mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 26 Readers, 44 Tablets
Nook from UK with US store

I already have 4 Nooks (classic, HD, HD+, Simple Touch).
Today I've got a Nook GlowLight via an Amazon merchant from UK.
To my surprise, I only find 36 of my 300 B&N eBooks on my reader.
If I check uk.nook.com, the same.
Why do I see those books and not the rest?
I've bought 99% of my B&N books from B&N US. Only exception: The Harry Potter books.
How can I port the roundabout 260 B&N books, that are missing now?
I don't want to manually download them and then copy them to the reader via USB.

And: Is there a way, to switch the shop on the reader from UK to US?

Totally hate it. No wonder, Amazon blows them away. Can this be any more inconvenient and complicated?

EDIT:
I just have chatted with the support from B&N in UK and the US.
Bummer!
They've tried their best, but obviously are quite helpless.
It seems, I only can use the UK GlowLight with B&N UK.
Meaning: Of my about 300 B&N books, only 36 appear on my UK GlowLight.
This might be understandable: When I bought the majority of those books, B&N had been US only and obviously doesn't have the licenses.
But quite frankly, I don't care.
My Kindle PaperWhite and my Kobo Aura HD both are global.
I really don't want to bother. I want to read the books I legally have purchased.
That's one of those situations, when the honest buyer is out of chances and I'd have way more options, would I simply download illegal copies.
Definitely my last piece of hardware from B&N, since their hardware lacks a bit anyway...

Last edited by mgmueller; 01-15-2014 at 10:34 AM.
mgmueller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 01:00 PM   #2
geertm
Guru
geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One
The new Nook Glowlight (the white version) has not been released in the UK yet. Are you talking about that device? Or the Glowlight version of the Nook Simple Touch (black version)?
geertm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 02:47 PM   #3
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Sideload them (alf them if needed)
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 03:35 PM   #4
mgmueller
Member Retired
mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eschwartz View Post
Sideload them (alf them if needed)
A few years ago, I eagerly would have done that. But today: No way.
Why buy a Nook Glowlight then?
It's a mediocre unit. If I'd want to side load, I could use my Nook Aura HD or Kindle Paperwhite, for example.
I wanted to have the convenient solution (Nook books on Nook hardware), not waste even a second over it.

EDIT:
I had sideloaded 2 ePUBS, original purchases from B&N (without strippjng DRM). Both had been missing the cover, for whatever reason. I just wanted to check out this solution. I never would do it for my entire library. I don't want to download on the PC and fumble around. I want to do it all directly on the reader.

Last edited by mgmueller; 01-15-2014 at 04:11 PM.
Old 01-15-2014, 03:35 PM   #5
mgmueller
Member Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by geertm View Post
The new Nook Glowlight (the white version) has not been released in the UK yet. Are you talking about that device? Or the Glowlight version of the Nook Simple Touch (black version)?
The black one.
I don't care much about the hardware, just wanted to have a backlit Nook.
But I guess, the UK white version would have the same problem: Even though you link it to your US account, you only see the UK store on the reader and only a small portion of your US books.

EDIT:
Thanks a lot for the tip!
I've just ordered the new Nook GlowLight (the white one) from the US.

Last edited by mgmueller; 01-15-2014 at 03:48 PM.
Old 01-15-2014, 04:42 PM   #6
geertm
Guru
geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgmueller View Post
The black one.
I don't care much about the hardware, just wanted to have a backlit Nook.
But I guess, the UK white version would have the same problem: Even though you link it to your US account, you only see the UK store on the reader and only a small portion of your US books.

EDIT:
Thanks a lot for the tip!
I've just ordered the new Nook GlowLight (the white one) from the US.
I have to admit I also thought the UK en US e-ink readers were the same. I had planned to buy the new Nook Glowlight after the UK release.

Using the XDA forum I found the following link:
https://sites.google.com/site/xcdguides/nook/nookregion
This way you can create a bootable SD card to change the region of your Nook Simple Touch (Always use Sandisk card for this).
geertm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 04:44 PM   #7
mgmueller
Member Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by geertm View Post
I have to admit I also thought the UK en US e-ink readers were the same. I had planned to buy the new Nook Glowlight after the UK release.

Using the XDA forum I found the following link:
https://sites.google.com/site/xcdguides/nook/nookregion
This way you can create a bootable SD card to change the region of your Nook Simple Touch (Always use Sandisk card for this).
Cool, thanks!
But now you've already infected me with the white one. I'll stick to the order from the US and give back the black one.